Gilroy 425g Build Thread (All Apex, all the time)

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, first testing I have done in weeks - many weeks. AMI (Alk Monitoring Invention) keeps me on track with Alk and my pH/ORP/Salinity are all in Apex so I haven't really been following anything else - tank has been looking good - growth has slowed a bit though. Looks like my nutrients are rising so I need to check my RODI and also I really needed to thin out the macro. That done, I think they will start to come down again.

IMG_0389.PNG

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, first testing I have done in weeks - many weeks. AMI (Alk Monitoring Invention) keeps me on track with Alk and my pH/ORP/Salinity are all in Apex so I haven't really been following anything else - tank has been looking good - growth has slowed a bit though. Looks like my nutrients are rising so I need to check my RODI and also I really needed to thin out the macro. That done, I think they will start to come down again.

IMG_0389.PNG

You know what I love most about this picture??

You have a pending update ! Lol [emoji38]

MarylandTang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you need for of the Kessil 380 lights in the fuge/sump? One has a pretty good spread for growth purposes.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is AMI (Alk Monitoring Invention) an official name?
Hahaha, no, that's just what we have called her.

Do you think you need for of the Kessil 380 lights in the fuge/sump? One has a pretty good spread for growth purposes.
The 380 have a narrow lens on them so unless you are mounting them three feet up, they do not spread too much. I have a lot bigger area (about 1m^2) of macro than most and David from Kessil recommended this configuration.

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha, no, that's just what we have called her.

Whew.. I was about to give you crap if you used Invention as part of the name. Like calling a television a moving picture box invention, doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

You are testing Potassium more than the others. What are you trying to get to and what is its purpose for your tank?

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I just got my results from ICP. It appears I have some things quite a bit higher than they should be and I have no idea how it could have got that way.

One in particular is insanely out of balance and could account for my Zoanthids and a couple of other corals not doing so well. Iodine. It was measured at 2601 ug/l and it should be 60! I have only dosed TLF Trace Elements three times in two months - the combined total of all was maybe 100ml. So what could have caused this high level? I am going to post on the chemistry forum.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good, @Terence! That PBT is a beauty!

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, @Terence! That PBT is a beauty!
Thanks, big thanks to Robert from Neptune Aquatics who let me adopt it.

wow man, love all the tangs. Is the powder blue a bully?
No, When I put him in, he was actually bullied himself by the Achilles half his size. Now he chases the convict from time to time but other than that he is a tame little lumbering giant.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am back from MACNA and it looks like I might be jumping in on the Trident train. As you already know, I just did my first test a couple of weeks back. I also pulled off my filter socks, thinned out my macro algae, and upgraded my fuge lighting to those sweet new Kessil grow lights.

I spoke to Triton and a few other people at MACNA and I think I will take the plunge.

I am almost out of CO2, so assuming I can get the Triton stuff here soon, it should be perfect timing. Anyone reading this have any advice for me?

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for not doing water changes. I don't think it's necessary to use the triton method to accomplish it though. Their core 7 system seems great for those that dose two part since it's essentially the same thing but 4 part instead. Those that use other methods like a carx (like you), will have to dose the individual trace elements. It's nice that they give you a complete package and tell you exactly what you need to dose and how much but it's more expensive than other options. You can get icp testing done domestically now for about $20/test instead of $45-$50/test through Triton and individual trace elements can be had cheaper as well.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great feedback. I am going to explore possibly keeping the CaRx online and doing the other dosing. I will see what Ehsan thinks.

I happen to think a system though is a system. Other things may work, but if someone has an easy to follow system and for 20-30% more money it is more of a sure thing - less variables - less searching around - then I am for going that way. After all, this hobby is not cheap. Keeping an aquarium like this is not cheap. So if I am going to spend the money, I am all for spending 20% more if it gets me 10% more success.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You better be on the Trident train as it is your product ;)

LOL, I was going to give him the same grief for the typo. But after being present at the MACNA Neptune breakfast and me literally tearing up when he announced the Trident, I would also be hard pressed to get the Trident off of my mind.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back