Giving An Aggressive Fish a Timeout

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen numerous posts on giving an aggressive fish a timeout in QT or acclimation box or wherever.

Unfortunately I have my first fish tank aggression and a long nose hawk is being a real bully. I want him out for a bit.

He's impossible to catch.

I'm thinking of using a trap, but if I do and then I introduce him back, will he have already learned to never go in the trap again?

Are timeouts effective at changing the behavior of some fish or it is just buying time and still need to change the fish mix to have any positive impact?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got the aqua medic trap today, set it up in 10 min, put it in the tank, threw some food in and hawkfish went right in and whammy, he is on timeout.

This allowed me to take my recovering jawfish out of his acclimation box and he's back in his burrow, yes!

Wrasse that was being bullied is coming out now.

Now I have to figure out what next.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi float him in a clear container in dt feed all as normal including hawk of course ,let loose 5 days see what happens jmo

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
pics we all love tank pics

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr Hawk - "Doh, I've been a bad boy"

IMG_7487.jpeg

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always swap him at a LFS for a different one or a different species altogether. Assuming you aren't attached to this one. Maybe a falco or geometric pygmy will tone things down a notch?

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always swap him at a LFS for a different one or a different species altogether. Assuming you aren't attached to this one. Maybe a falco or geometric pygmy will tone things down a notch?

I was thinking the same thing. My LFS would be happy to find him a new home. Thx for the response. I feel like he's too much of a risk with the jawfish, he beat him up really bad. I thought he was a goner, but he is bouncing back.

Last edited:

Infidel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing. My LFS would be happy to find him a new home. Thx for the response. I feel like he's too much of a risk with the jawfish, he beat him up really bad. I thought he was a goner, but he is bouncing back.

No problem, I'm glad to help out. I hope everything works out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back