Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anyone in the forum personally, but the forum makes
me feel I know everyone!!

So Sorry about the fire, but as you say giving up is never an option in life. Now, as I read the post 1987, I am saying to myself - your experience in the hobby and my age are the same . Soooo much to learn from the experienced reefers!!! Like soft cycling. I’ve not heard of that before..

Again: Congratulations on moderator of the month.. looking for your FTS. Following along!!!

Thank you. :)

It's such a dynamic hobby, with all the changes and developments over the decades you just keep on learning.

R2R is pretty casual, many of us know each other from shows, other forums. There a people that I have been following for years.

Cheryl,
We are so happy that you already have a new setup this soon after the fire. Hope that the other parts of your life are coming together too.

(lol)
;Oldman over here and still miss those 20k MH Radium's too and they sure are magical bulb... ;Drool

From what I can tell those Phoenix bulbs are a great choice and I'm sure they have some great MH shimmer.

Tagging along as you go, Freddie

:)

Hi GoVols. :)

The Radiums always gave off that nice slight pink once burned in and the Phoenix add a really nice blue.

So not much to look at yet, as expected. The heater will go in the back once I remove a sock. Live stock all doing well, fish have been in for about 2 weeks. Diatoms still hanging on. Since I used dry rock I really need to start looking at adding some pods.

Current tank contents.

Five Green Blue Chromis.
One Exquisite Fire Fish.
Three Hermits.

Corn Bread Bubble Gum Digitata
Acropora hyacinthus.

0407180633a_HDR.jpg

0407180535a.jpg

0407180535a_Burst01.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY Don! :)

It make my heart smile every time I see one of your post. Hope all is well or moving in that direction.

The title to your thread is my life story! As long as God let's me, I'll be here!

I'll have to call you again and update sometime. I promise not to talk your ear off like before.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! Happy to read that you’re back in the game! I can’t even imagine the devestation you must have felt after the fire but I hope this another step back towards normalcy for you!

Thank you so much. :)

The title to your thread is my life story! As long as God let's me, I'll be here!

I'll have to call you again and update sometime. I promise not to talk your ear off like before.

Talk away Don, I enjoyed it sincerely. :p

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start! Glad to see you right back into a new aquarium. If I recall, you had the JBJ 30 Rimless before. Any thoughts on comparison with the similar sized IM tank?

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good start! Glad to see you right back into a new aquarium. If I recall, you had the JBJ 30 Rimless before. Any thoughts on comparison with the similar sized IM tank?

Oh my.

I had the JBJ 20 lagoon style, upgraded to the JBJ 30 (which was my favorite among the JBJ), had the 45 JBJ, hated that tank.

Then I switched out the 45 for a IM 20 which I LOVED. IMO it's really hard to go wrong with the IM's, I think they have a better design. I am a nano tank freak.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh my.

I had the JBJ 20 lagoon style, upgraded to the JBJ 30 (which was my favorite among the JBJ), had the 45 JBJ, hated that tank.

Then I switched out the 45 for a IM 20 which I LOVED. IMO it's really hard to go wrong with the IM's, I think they have a better design. I am a nano tank freak.

Interesting. Thank you. I picked the JBJ 30 for the size. Larger display. IM did not really have an option between 20 and 40. My 30 came cracked, though and after 3 months of waiting for a replacement, JBJ offered to replace it with a 45 (and stand). I took them up on that offer, so I am curious if you could elaborate on the difference in your experience between the JBJ 30 and 45? What about the 45 was so different? Thanks!

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy for you @Tahoe61 !! I got all teary eyed after seeing what you went through and how you've persevered. Can't wait to see this new build mature! Congrats! ;Joyful;Shamefullyembarrased

Means a lot! We are still a work in progress. Thank you for stopping by.

Cheryl :)

I love the Rockwork!
I love the Tank and clean Glass!
I wish the heater would be in the sump.

Thank you! Heater is in the back now. I will post a FTS soon.

0420180410b_Burst01.jpg

All fish and inverts are doing really well, corals are growing.

Finally got that Pink Skunk Clowns I have been wanting for a long time and a Sebae Anemone. Clowns were eating the first day and still are.

I can not say enough about Blue Zoo Aquatics. The clowns are a little larger than I had anticipated but they get along beautifully. The Anemone is gorgeous and healthy, packaged well, great acclimation guide, they send food and acclimation equipment. Very satisfied with this purchase.

The Chromis are very upset by the additions, it's kind of funny watching them get attitude with the large clowns.

Still changing out over 10% a week, soon water changes will be less often. Have some Cyano and film algae going on, snails to the rescue.

:)

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking setup! Kudos to those that helped get you back going with the tank. Shows we aren’t a nation that is doomed. There are a lot of good people out there.

Your absolutely right. :)

People did so much more to lead us to the road of recovery. It's hard to put it into words but we were very fortunate despite the circumstances.

OP
OP
Tahoe61

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just so cute I had to post 2 more images. They immediately took to the Sebae Anemone, although now only one is allowed in at a time. Heteractis crispa is a natural host for Pink Skunks, that probably played a part. Also the Sebae is fine example of an Anemone that also displays bubble tips at times.

The last Sebae I kept was back in 1998. In doing my research recently on Sebae vendors often commented that this anemone acclimates better and over all does better in the presence clowns.

This can be a tricky anemone. Research suggested creating a shallow gully surrounded on three side by rocks, place anemone in a depression and turn off flow (for a short time) to facilitate attachment. Sand should be made up of mostly a finer grain mixed with a small amount of course sand.

0420180554b_HDR.jpg

0420180554_HDR.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back