Glass Ball anemone infestation!

C.Rode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an infestation of glass ball anemones. It’s been building for 5+ years in my 90g DT. I’ve already tried burning them with laser. I’ve tried removing the rocks that I could and scraping them off. I’ve tried injecting them with Tropic Marin Elimi-aiptas. All methods work temporarily, but the nems come back with a vengeance each time. I now have more than ever before and am contemplating a tank breakdown. Before I do that, does anyone have a known solution? A predator I could try?

OP
OP
C

C.Rode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently it’s stocked as a reef tank. Lots of SPS frags, LPS frags (mostly euphylia and acans), one frogspawn colony, and a toadstool leather.
Fish: 1 fat 7-8” one spot foxface
1 Small 2-3” white tail tang
1 Small 3-4” powder brown tang
3 percula clowns (one pair breeding)
1 royal gramma
1 starry blenny
1 coral beauty

OP
OP
C

C.Rode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Excuse the diatoms. I added a new bag of live sand a bit ago and the diatoms haven’t died out yet.

OP
OP
C

C.Rode

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know what fish/coral you have but berghia nudibranch or butterfly fish.
I would totally invest in nudis if they work, but I’m hesitant to waste the $$. I was told by an online retailer that the berghia only eat aiptasia and would not eat glass ball anemones. I’ve also read that these are classified in the mushroom family (Pseudocorynactis).
Stolen from another thread on the same subject ... “Pseudocorynactis are of the order Corallimorpharia as are Ricordia, Actinodiscus (mushrooms). Aiptasia are Actiniaria, true anemones. Ball tip anemones are not a form of aiptasia.”

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistake then. I made the assumption they were very similar if not the same. Maybe a Copperband then? They are supposedly OK with coral and known to go for Aiptasia but I'm no longer certain on the glass ball anemone, I would imagine any fish that would consume them will likely do the same to your coral.

Back