Glass surfing angelfish

jdwmba88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gal with mostly fish. All my levels are good and all my fish appear healthy. the tank has been running for 2.5 yrs. I've had this pygmy angelfish for approx 6 months and it seems to be doing fine. It eats well, isn't getting picked on or anything. But lately it has been constantly swimming back and forth along the side glass. It stops when I feed it but then goes right back to it. Is this something to be concerned about? It's a beautiful fish

OP
OP
jdwmba88

jdwmba88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video

Attachments

• 20211107_123424.mp4
    87 MB

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he’s looking for more swimming room. Stressed out behavior

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gal with mostly fish. All my levels are good and all my fish appear healthy. the tank has been running for 2.5 yrs. I've had this pygmy angelfish for approx 6 months and it seems to be doing fine. It eats well, isn't getting picked on or anything. But lately it has been constantly swimming back and forth along the side glass. It stops when I feed it but then goes right back to it. Is this something to be concerned about? It's a beautiful fish
To me, that’s first signs of pacing which often is a sign of stress and needing more swim room. More commonly seen in tangs when they get too big for a tank, although can be seen in any and every fish. I would recommend upgrading OR trading it in for another of the same species.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t view your video, and it may be a sign of stress as others have said, but I have also gotten fish to stop doing ‘laps’ in the tank, which I agree can be a little annoying. First see whether it is reviewing his own reflection in the glass, by putting something like a black towel over those panes of glass. Also dry drastically rearranging rocks to obstruct the pathway; thirdly you can try redirecting a strong powerhead. None of this is a guarantee, but as I say, I have done it successfully on more than one occasion. Best wishes, and keep us posted.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It wants more space.. like zoo animals that pace a fence. My angelfish did this in 25g quarantine tank but totally stopped in the 80g.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanarus wrasse that paces my glass every night about an hour before lights out.

Up the glass, around the frag rack, around the mp10, down the glass, repeat. Does this for about an hour every single night. As soon as the lights go out, he dives for the sand and goes to bed.

I honestly think he's just wearing off extra energy before going to bed. Only does it for about an hour before lights out.

Some fish are just bat crap crazy, just like us humans.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanarus wrasse that paces my glass every night about an hour before lights out.

Up the glass, around the frag rack, around the mp10, down the glass, repeat. Does this for about an hour every single night. As soon as the lights go out, he dives for the sand and goes to bed.

I honestly think he's just wearing off extra energy before going to bed. Only does it for about an hour before lights out.

Some fish are just bat crap crazy, just like us humans.
My two Halichoeres do the same (Iridis and chloropterus) I think it’s more hunting for a place to sleep over stress ect..

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 43.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.5%
Back