Glass thickness.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’m doing some calculations for an idea I have going on. (So many ideas, so little money) I want to build a tank with the dimensions of a 54l x 2ow x 20h
Seem very nice but strange. The two glass thickness I’m tossing around are 3/8 or 1/2, but here's the kicker. 3/8 is only at a safety factor of 2.75 and the 1/2 is all the way at a safety factor of 5... now the sane mind would say oh go with 1/2 inch that will provide the security you need. But my mind doesn’t work like that. 1/2 inch would be way more expensive. Less clear. And a pain to find powerheads for. Would you go with 3/8 or 1/2 an inch glass? I’m partial towards 3/8 but just need some other opinions.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 - 48 x 18 x 18 has 3/8" glass. Have had the tank for about 25 years. Good visibility. Plenty heavy enough for me over the years.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are going with no trim or eurobracing on the top i would use 1/2 inch of you are going to eurobrace (what i would do ) 3/8 ... I would also include a 2 inch wide band inside the bottom of the tank if you are going to have NO Bottom trim. This gives you a tighter seal and might save you in the long one.. 95% of tanks that leak from a seam is on the bottom..

With that said that is a fairly small tank . From experience i can tell you make it 30 inches from front to back if you have room to accommodate it at least 24 deep.. You will be Glad you did .. Scape is so much easier.. I love my new 240 . But hate the height of 30 plus inches I END up with my bra wet cleaning the front glass

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are going with no trim or eurobracing on the top i would use 1/2 inch of you are going to eurobrace (what i would do ) 3/8 ... I would also include a 2 inch wide band inside the bottom of the tank if you are going to have NO Bottom trim. This gives you a tighter seal and might save you in the long one.. 95% of tanks that leak from a seam is on the bottom..

With that said that is a fairly small tank . From experience i can tell you make it 30 inches from front to back if you have room to accommodate it at least 24 deep.. You will be Glad you did .. Scape is so much easier.. I love my new 240 . But hate the height of 30 plus inches I END up with my bra wet cleaning the front glass
For the bottom I’m going to use two one fourth inch panels stacked and the top one receded Enough to fit the side panels. I may do eurobrace one the front and back. I would do the tank much wider front to back but it would block a walkway.

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well just got word that i could make a deeper tank. 54l by 30w by 18h or 54l by 24w by 22h are also possible dimensions. i feel like the first option would work with 3/8 inch glass because of the height.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back