Glass top

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I got a glass top and I was told that having a top on a tank causes a lot of negative effects.

I have fire fish and I will be getting more fish down the road.

What are my options? What do people do with a open top?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have glass tops on one of mine no negitive but it is a fowlr. My reef has partially covered with glass and the rest is egg crate

My glass to keeps heat in and grows algae film but reg maint keeps that in check.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have glass tops on one of mine no negitive but it is a fowlr. My reef has partially covered with glass and the rest is egg crate

My glass to keeps heat in and grows algae film but reg maint keeps that in check.

Alright, I read that my fish can still get out of egg creat lol.

So if I did open do all fish jump out?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G what are your thoughts;)

No carpet surfing allowed :eek: Eggcrate along the back so tube, wires, etc. can fit, and 2 screens over the rest of the tank top. Both have 1/4" mesh, and it's zip tied to the egg crate. Can't have my firefish, puffer, wrasse, anthias, gobies, or blenny jumping the ship.

IMG_1016.JPG

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carpet surfing allowed :eek: Eggcrate along the back so tube, wires, etc. can fit, and 2 screens over the rest of the tank top. Both have 1/4" mesh, and it's zip tied to the egg crate. Can't have my firefish, puffer, wrasse, anthias, gobies, or blenny jumping the ship.

IMG_1016.JPG
Lol and I like it! How do you keep the screen down up front? Any thing wrong if I use black egg create

PaulK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people exaggerate the negative effects of glass tops. I’ve run a glass top on my mixed reef for years. I had too much evaporation with just screens. Having a glass top cuts evaporation by at least half, maybe more. I feel like it also keeps out dust etc.

The only negative that I can think of is that you need to wipe it off every week or so. I tested with a par meter and it showed that after a week without cleaning the glass reduces light by about 10%. That’s more than a screen top, which only reduces PAR by a few percent. But I don’t run my LEDs at full power anyway so I didn’t care. Some people say the glass cover reduces gas exchange, but unless you have a tight seal I can’t see how that would happen.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thing wrong if I use black egg create
That's what I wanted - black, but none available, so I used white.
The 1/4" screening is in regular do-it-yourself window screen frames just like on your house.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS, Marine Depot, etc. have DIY screen top kits and Red Sea has just come out with theirs. And, big box retailers like Home Depot and Lowe's also sell screen frames and mesh although it is hard to find black.

Just need to be able to make straight cuts on aluminum material and buy a package of plastic corners to hold frame together; press in right sized spline to hold netting in place and no more carpet surfing. BTW, IM has some clips for frame if you want the sleek look of mounting even with top of tank; check for them on Amazon.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people exaggerate the negative effects of glass tops. I’ve run a glass top on my mixed reef for years. I had too much evaporation with just screens. Having a glass top cuts evaporation by at least half, maybe more. I feel like it also keeps out dust etc.

The only negative that I can think of is that you need to wipe it off every week or so. I tested with a par meter and it showed that after a week without cleaning the glass reduces light by about 10%. That’s more than a screen top, which only reduces PAR by a few percent. But I don’t run my LEDs at full power anyway so I didn’t care. Some people say the glass cover reduces gas exchange, but unless you have a tight seal I can’t see how that would happen.

Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS, Marine Depot, etc. have DIY screen top kits and Red Sea has just come out with theirs. And, big box retailers like Home Depot and Lowe's also sell screen frames and mesh although it is hard to find black.

Just need to be able to make straight cuts on aluminum material and buy a package of plastic corners to hold frame together; press in right sized spline to hold netting in place and no more carpet surfing. BTW, IM has some clips for frame if you want the sleek look of mounting even with top of tank; check for them on Amazon.
Cool man, I’ll take a look! Thanks

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-for-rimmed-tanks-1-4-netting.html

So this would work, it just comes in white screen . Wish they did black

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen is clear plastic and not very noticeable; I have used it and it is same material in new Red Sea kits. Good luck

Ok thanks. So that kit should be all I need?

Jeff Cole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my cover from artfully acrylics. Let's light in no problem with a feeding door. A bit pricey but worth the price. 6 week wait made to order was a drag but I love it. www.artfullyacrylic.com
1519346399030.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have and have had glass on ALL my tanks past and present. I never have issues with fish jumping, salt spray and experience clean external equipment and slower evaporation. Easy also to wipe down.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the BRS kit. Installed took about 2 HRs. Worked out great! Made a small slit were my power cords come out. My one coral closed for about an hour I’m assuming because of more light. Good sign :)

Thanks for the help

4174C8AE-6DD1-4F07-816B-3DE92DD5E8A4.jpeg

EE25450F-C5F6-4939-A02F-F654DAC0D6FC.jpeg

6677F9A7-3605-493F-9C1B-2504189E11C6.jpeg

4CD4E2AD-4BBA-4515-BCD4-6204A391BBE1.jpeg

38920D22-B965-4D74-9462-A3D8D76E2D1F.jpeg

287233E6-894A-4732-B56E-2D138759BDC8.jpeg

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What was the difference in your PAR readings with and without the glass when it is clean? I wanted to cover my tank to slow evaporation as well. I only had 1/4 inch plate when I was checking par readings, but I thought it was blocking my light a little more than 10% even when it was clean. I could crank up my lights, but it is summer and I am not sure I want to deal with the heat they put out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back