Glasscages and shipping

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased my tank what seems like forever ago. Won’t do the math but we’re well over the quoted worst-case delivery time.

Does anyone who has purchased from GlassCages (but lives in TX, CA, or other) have a sense of how long it takes to ship once it actually leaves their shop?

Trying to remain in good spirits but we planned our year around the tank arriving, setting it up, and having it run for 2 months before we had a trip planned. It’s been disappointing to hear the tank was completed and tested 3 weeks ago and this is the second week I’ve heard “it should ship Friday.”

I need to know if it ships on Friday, if I’ll see it the following Friday or if it could be two weeks. I’m in trouble either way but if it’s going to take 2 weeks to get here…I’m screwed as there’s really no reason to even bother setting it up until we’re done traveling for a while (I think there’s a one month break in September or November) I could squeeze it in.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Have they provided you a reason for the delay?

I ship a lot of high end aeronautical products and we strive to always be on-time. However, sometimess life happens. In those cases, we are supplying a reason for the delay and an updated ETA.

If we don’t, our customers demand we do so—which is exactly what I advise you to do.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ask @Joe Glass Cages im sure he can inform you of everything you need.
I was specifically told, in the nicest way possible, to go thru my vendor and not Joe. I do not expect Joe to chime in here.

I have reached out to my vendor who is unable to do anything other than tell me what he knows:

-The tank was done several weeks ago (behind schedule I believe) but despite GlassCages demanding full payment, would not ship for 2 weeks. I said paying in full for something with no eta was bordering outside my comfort level given the current delays and was told I had to pay. Still, I took it in stride and was positive about it.

-I was then told fingers crossed the tank would ship last Friday. Still trying to stay positive.

-Now I am being told that it might ship this Friday…MIGHT…but no one can say when I will see it. I’m not having fun any more.

My vendor is reaching back out to Joe to see if he is willing to expedite shipping or at the very least actually ship it.

I am hopeful someone can tell me a realistic shipping time from dock-to-dock who has purchased a tank recently. I don’t need Joe or anyone to chime in with their best intentions since it seems those are promptly followed by a “well, COVID. What can you do?!” when they’re wildly off base. If you haven’t adjusted for the new global economy, that’s on you.

Certainly not directed at you or anyone directly: I realize this is a hotly contested issue in the world these days and I don’t wish to discuss it now. Suffice it to say as someone who is asked to write checks on time, for the full amount, and that excuses are not a valid form of payment, I am also a person who expects people To provide goods and services on time, in full, and that excuses are not a valid replacement for the work I have paid for. I understand many believe that “trying your hardest” still warrants full pay but I do not subscribe to that logic and we should agree to disagree. I was told point blank I’d need to pay in full to ship. No partial and remainder when shipped. Full payment. Now.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Have they provided you a reason for the delay?

I ship a lot of high end aeronautical products and we strive to always be on-time. However, sometimess life happens. In those cases, we are supplying a reason for the delay and an updated ETA.

If we don’t, our customers demand we do so—which is exactly what I advise you to do.
I’m was trying to keep this fun and be patient here but…yeah. I’m looking at the calendar and doing the math and I think they’ve kind of screwed me over here.

I think I was too easy going and took them on their word and that was my mistake.

They have all my money, by nature of the industry I’m not a repeat buyer. They could string me along for 3-6 months easily.

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issues last year with my glass cages tank. I was hoping they had fixed them by now.

My fish store that I ordered through had to be very persistent in contacting them several times before the tank actually shipped. I don't remember how long it took once it actually did ship. What I did was have the tank shipped to the fish store. Then I picked up the stand and got it stained and set up before the had the shop bring over the tank. Would that be an option for you?

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issues last year with my glass cages tank. I was hoping they had fixed them by now.

My fish store that I ordered through had to be very persistent in contacting them several times before the tank actually shipped. I don't remember how long it took once it actually did ship. What I did was have the tank shipped to the fish store. Then I picked up the stand and got it stained and set up before the had the shop bring over the tank. Would that be an option for you?
Glasscages INSISTS that my tank be delivered to a dock and that my vendor/fish store be the one to receive it and deliver it. My LFS is apologetic (I don’t blame him) but all he can do is call, get told “Friday” then call the next week and be told “Friday.”

It was kind of awkward when he had to call and be like “you need to pay in full but your tank won’t ship for 2 weeks…”. I paid and this Friday will be 4 weeks since that happened (if I’m doing the math right).

Im just worried that if it even ships on Friday if it won’t be here for two weeks, I’ll need to find somewhere to store it. Put a 7’ 400lb glass box in my garage for a few months with no temp control can’t be a great idea. My LFS already said they have nowhere to store it.

I’m apprehensive to take Glasscages at their word as I’m sure they’ll give me their best intentions and I need a real answer on shipping times. Thanks for chiming in though.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased my tank what seems like forever ago. Won’t do the math but we’re well over the quoted worst-case delivery time.

Does anyone who has purchased from GlassCages (but lives in TX, CA, or other) have a sense of how long it takes to ship once it actually leaves their shop?

Trying to remain in good spirits but we planned our year around the tank arriving, setting it up, and having it run for 2 months before we had a trip planned. It’s been disappointing to hear the tank was completed and tested 3 weeks ago and this is the second week I’ve heard “it should ship Friday.”

I need to know if it ships on Friday, if I’ll see it the following Friday or if it could be two weeks. I’m in trouble either way but if it’s going to take 2 weeks to get here…I’m screwed as there’s really no reason to even bother setting it up until we’re done traveling for a while (I think there’s a one month break in September or November) I could squeeze it in.
Hi @srobertb

Did some research here. Appreciate you asking for some help.

Looks like the drawing was approved on 2/9. yes we are over the estimated 8 to 12 weeks here. Sorry about that. We do provide estimates because there are so many moving parts.

This is an art. Raw glass to a finished product. After drawing approval, raw material mapped for cutting, materials cut, materials polished, materials drilled if needed, materials inspected, materials assembled (all the prep could take up to 4 weeks), curing time begins (2 weeks before the tank can be moved), bracing done if needed, QA department for inspection, shipping for packaging and finally booked for shipping.

On this order there was more than one item, all are being packaged for shipping. I truly believe we can ship this week.

Just checked shipping and FedEx states 2 day transit after the pickup day. Hope that helps.

We truly want you to get your tank too. I do appreciate your transparency.

We can do a joint call with your LFS. I am always very available. We have a strong desire to help through this.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was specifically told, in the nicest way possible, to go thru my vendor and not Joe. I do not expect Joe to chime in here.

I have reached out to my vendor who is unable to do anything other than tell me what he knows:

-The tank was done several weeks ago (behind schedule I believe) but despite GlassCages demanding full payment, would not ship for 2 weeks. I said paying in full for something with no eta was bordering outside my comfort level given the current delays and was told I had to pay. Still, I took it in stride and was positive about it.

-I was then told fingers crossed the tank would ship last Friday. Still trying to stay positive.

-Now I am being told that it might ship this Friday…MIGHT…but no one can say when I will see it. I’m not having fun any more.

My vendor is reaching back out to Joe to see if he is willing to expedite shipping or at the very least actually ship it.

I am hopeful someone can tell me a realistic shipping time from dock-to-dock who has purchased a tank recently. I don’t need Joe or anyone to chime in with their best intentions since it seems those are promptly followed by a “well, COVID. What can you do?!” when they’re wildly off base. If you haven’t adjusted for the new global economy, that’s on you.

Certainly not directed at you or anyone directly: I realize this is a hotly contested issue in the world these days and I don’t wish to discuss it now. Suffice it to say as someone who is asked to write checks on time, for the full amount, and that excuses are not a valid form of payment, I am also a person who expects people To provide goods and services on time, in full, and that excuses are not a valid replacement for the work I have paid for. I understand many believe that “trying your hardest” still warrants full pay but I do not subscribe to that logic and we should agree to disagree. I was told point blank I’d need to pay in full to ship. No partial and remainder when shipped. Full payment. Now.
I did not know you used a middle man.. I thought you ordered the tank straight from glass cages.. if anyone could help you it would be joe I’d think… but it sounds like you got a lot going on… hopefully it wall works out for you.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi @srobertb

Some things here that I am not or was not part of. Let's have a call to sort though all the communication.

if you are open to it, lets do a 3 way call with your LFS. I am sure we can sort though these things.

This needs to get on the right side of the trouble line and become a much better experience. I am confident we can do this for you. Let me know.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @srobertb

Looks like the drawing was approved on 2/9. yes we are over the estimated 8 to 12 weeks here. Sorry about that. We do provide estimates because there are so many moving parts.

This is an art. Raw glass to a finished product. After drawing approval, raw material mapped for cutting, materials cut, materials polished, materials drilled if needed, materials inspected, materials assembled (all the prep could take up to 4 weeks), curing time begins (2 weeks before the tank can be moved), bracing done if needed, QA department for inspection, shipping for packaging and finally booked for shipping.

On this order there was more than one item, all are being packaged for shipping. I truly believe we can ship this week.

Just checked shipping and FedEx states 2 day transit after the pickup day. Hope that helps.

We can do a joint call with your LFS. I am always very available. We have a strong desire to help through this.
FedEx 2 days help. They’re reliable typically. My vendor/LFS should be speaking with you if he hasn’t this morning too per your request.

Boiling down what i got:

-behind schedule.
-Told tank is done and ready to ship: must pay in full but tank won’t ship for two weeks.
-2 weeks later told tank will ship in a week
-week later (today) - told tank will ship end of week.

You’ll understand my apprehension at this point.

This isn’t a good look. I paid promptly with the expectation you would follow through promptly. I even agreed to pay fully despite the tank not shipping for 2 weeks.

Can you get the tank out today/tomorrow? I’m sure between FedEx or UPS the logistics are possible if what you say is accurate and it’s on a pallet and ready. I think based on the circumstances loading it and driving it to the pickup location or airport wouldn’t be crazy to ask. FEDEX 2 day depending on freight rules may hit the dock as early as Friday or Saturday and I could get it wet by Monday and my tank sitter trained the following weekend (best case scenario).

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m was trying to keep this fun and be patient here but…yeah. I’m looking at the calendar and doing the math and I think they’ve kind of screwed me over here.

I think I was too easy going and took them on their word and that was my mistake.

They have all my money, by nature of the industry I’m not a repeat buyer. They could string me along for 3-6 months easily.
oh my. @srobertb

The way you are describing how you feel is not our intensions at all. That is not our culture not how we operate. No Way!

We dont string anyone along. Nor do we want anyone to feel that way either.

Things do happen. some out of our control. The best thing at this point is to have better communication.

Hope you are open to a call. let me know.

Our track records shows a much different experience and I have a strong desire to help you through how you feel and make this experience the best we can.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi @Atherial

Appreciate you sharing your experience. Last year we experienced much growth. We also expanded our facility. I do recall last year at times having some very extended build times.

Things are much better now. still sometimes builds get extended for certain reasons. there are also many that get done sooner that expected. We dont hear about those much though.

Thanks again.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FedEx 2 days help. They’re reliable typically. My vendor/LFS should be speaking with you if he hasn’t this morning too per your request.

Boiling down what i got:

-behind schedule.
-Told tank is done and ready to ship: must pay in full but tank won’t ship for two weeks.
-2 weeks later told tank will ship in a week
-week later (today) - told tank will ship end of week.

You’ll understand my apprehension at this point.

This isn’t a good look. I paid promptly with the expectation you would follow through promptly. I even agreed to pay fully despite the tank not shipping for 2 weeks.

Can you get the tank out today/tomorrow? I’m sure between FedEx or UPS the logistics are possible if what you say is accurate and it’s on a pallet and ready. I think based on the circumstances loading it and driving it to the pickup location or airport wouldn’t be crazy to ask. FEDEX 2 day depending on freight rules may hit the dock as early as Friday or Saturday and I could get it wet by Monday and my tank sitter trained the following weekend (best case scenario).
@srobertb

Looks like communication has been the challenge. I am sorry about this. Very sorry.

I completely understand and will take all the responsibility for this. Communicating through a 3-party can work great or not work very well. I will work with your LFS and take responsibility for this communication and how your feel.

We dont manage payments when someone is working through their LFS. That would be something to ask them about.

regarding shipping. Fedex does move freight over the weekend. we have seen this many times. When I checked the freight transit times, it was stated as business days. I do know that they move things over the weekends though.

Trying to help.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@srobertb

Looks like communication has been the challenge. I am sorry about this. Very sorry.

I completely understand and will take all the responsibility for this. Communicating through a 3-party can work great or not work very well. I will work with your LFS and take responsibility for this communication and how your feel.

We dont manage payments when someone is working through their LFS. That would be something to ask them about.

regarding shipping. Fedex does move freight over the weekend. we have seen this many times. When I checked the freight transit times, it was stated as business days. I do know that they move things over the weekends though.

Trying to help.
With all due respect, I’d like to keep the conversation open for other individuals who may be in a similar situation. Depending on how that goes, I will be happy to have a conversation with you and the LFS in the next few weeks (schedule permitting) so we can all improve in areas we think things may have broken down.

Let me know what you were able to accomplish and when I can expect the tank. It’s sitting padwrapped and ready to ship to the best of my knowledge. No reason not to throw it on a truck and drive it down to the airport if FedEx can’t schedule a pickup. We could be laughing about this by Monday.

Please @me if you choose to respond as I’ve got to get back to other things.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect, I’d like to keep the conversation open for other individuals who may be in a similar situation. Depending on how that goes, I will be happy to have a conversation with you and the LFS in the next few weeks (schedule permitting) so we can all improve in areas we think things may have broken down.

Let me know what you were able to accomplish and when I can expect the tank. It’s sitting padwrapped and ready to ship to the best of my knowledge. No reason not to throw it on a truck and drive it down to the airport if FedEx can’t schedule a pickup. We could be laughing about this by Monday.

Please @me if you choose to respond as I’ve got to get back to other things.
Totally agree with you @srobertb

Yes, please keep this thread open. We welcome truthful constructive criticism. That helps us develop, grow and become a better company.

Open communication is very welcomed by us on Facebook, Instagram and other forums too. Not just here.

Regarding your build, we will be able to book this week for pickup. This will ship by freight not air. Fedex will pickup at our location. Works nicely that way.

Our spirit is to do the right thing. I recall during the quoting process, there were several quotes with many different options. One was settled on and as we moved forward, it was identified that the custom floating bottom option was overlooked (about $500). We decided to included that at no charge as to make the process easier and not ask for more funds after the design process had started. Where was this overlooked? We didn't ask, we just took care of it for you and your LFS. I am going to extend some additional assistance to you through your LFS.

We truly appreciate your willingness to offer transparent feedback.

The offer for a 3-way call is always available if you desire. We listen and adjust give the opportunity.

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Atherial

Appreciate you sharing your experience. Last year we experienced much growth. We also expanded our facility. I do recall last year at times having some very extended build times.

Things are much better now. still sometimes builds get extended for certain reasons. there are also many that get done sooner that expected. We dont hear about those much though.

Thanks again.
Hi Joe,

For my situation, it was 100% a communication problem. My LFS would check in every few weeks, get told it would be another 2-3 weeks, we would wait. My LFS would call after the 2-3 weeks were up only to get told it was another 2-3 weeks. This happened several times and ended up being about 3 months delay in total. Which was fine, but it would have saved us all a lot of trouble if we had been told that in the first place.

That being said, the tank and the stand are really nice.

I do have an issue with the glass top though. The hinge that holds the glass together has plastic on it and that is breaking apart. I've had the tank for less than a year. Is that something that would be covered by any sort of warranty?

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @srobertb

Hi do you ship to the UK also do you supply the plumbing parts and cabinet or not?

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Joe,

For my situation, it was 100% a communication problem. My LFS would check in every few weeks, get told it would be another 2-3 weeks, we would wait. My LFS would call after the 2-3 weeks were up only to get told it was another 2-3 weeks. This happened several times and ended up being about 3 months delay in total. Which was fine, but it would have saved us all a lot of trouble if we had been told that in the first place.

That being said, the tank and the stand are really nice.

I do have an issue with the glass top though. The hinge that holds the glass together has plastic on it and that is breaking apart. I've had the tank for less than a year. Is that something that would be covered by any sort of warranty?
Hi @Atherial

Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate that.

3 months delayed? That would put the build at 6 months. I dont recall any build over the past 3 years taking 6 months to build. Thats are really long time. I sure would like to look in to this.

Regarding the lids. give me a call. Happy to help. 615-446-8877.

We had limited access to hinge supply with all the supply chain issues. Happy to help though. Look forward to talking when you call.

Joe Glass Cages

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi do you ship to the UK also do you supply the plumbing parts and cabinet or not?
Hi @Dave1993

For orders outside the US, we typically ship to a US port of your choice and you can arrange the rest of the shipping from that location.

We build Glass Tanks, Acrylic Tanks, Sumps, Wood Stands and Steel Stands. We stop at the bulkheads. Hope that helps.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back