glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ,GLB

Good to see you are going larger . don't cut holes in the tank till you get the kit ! For my 60 gal & 30 gal I used the 700 gal kit from glass Holes also I am using the Jebao DC pump 3000 which is good enough for your tank . If you need help cutting the holes I can help . it`s fun drilling the holes ! In the photo I have the overflow on the right and return on the left side . As for skimmer I like the Bubble Magus 3.5 0r 5 depending on your bio load . I have both and they work great for me .

Willi
Thanks! I might take you up on that!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it seems I'll go with the glass cages overflow kit with 1 1/2 inch pipes to the sump and 1" pipes for the return line. 700gph is what this can handle, although I'm not sure I need that much. Is it possible to overdo it with the gph and then have too high of a flow for the tank? Or is it the more the better? I can always add power heads too. I guess I need a pump I can dial up or down a little. Tunze was recommended. Does anyone know what model I'd need to get?

Last edited:
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I finally took down the 36g bow front and put Methuselah the raspora in a smaller tank. I moved the stand and put the 40g on top. Here's some pics:
image.jpg

Here's the top with the leaves extended. I'd have to trim them to make them fit. I thought about building cabinets under the leaves for electrical stuff. For now I removed the leaves and put the tank on temporarily. Here's some pics:
image.jpg

This is the front left corner
image.jpg

And this is the back left corner. I have a stability question. The tank doesn't overlap the top of the stand, but it goes right to the edges. The stand is made of wood. With the leaves folded over the top, the top is twice as thick. Since the top extends over the side walls, is it structurally sound? I can add another inch of plywood on top if I need to. Will this setup make the corners of the tank vulnerable to failure? I'm quite a ways from starting it up but if I want to modify the stand, now's the time to do it. I also plan on stripping off the white paint and staining the wood if it's in good enough shape. If not, I'll paint it all black. The 20g sump fits nicely underneath. Any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest updates. My build plans are moving along! So far I have the 40g breeder and a 20g long for the sump. I've already purchased a Jebao DCT-6000 return pump and a SC Aquariums SCA-301 65g skimmer. I have plans for the stand and will be building that next. I'm planning on buying the overflow and return kit from glass-holes.com. I've measured and remeasured for the stand to make sure everything fits. I'll post pics of the stand as it comes together. Wish me luck!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great. Can't wait to see pictures. Are you DIY'ing the stand....and if so....definitely need pictures.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great. Can't wait to see pictures. Are you DIY'ing the stand....and if so....definitely need pictures.
Yep. I'm building it from scratch. I'm going to put together a frame with 2x4's this week and I'm planning on skinning/decorating it after that. I'll definitely post pics!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I design my sump before I build the stand? Or should I even build the sump first? I've never built a sump before so newbie advice is welcome.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really doesn't matter as long as it's done before putting it in the stand-lol. Just take the sump dimensions into consideration when building your stand. You'll want to leave plenty move around room available. Plus the hight of your skimmer. Make it so it's easy to remove if needed.
My stand is cramped, hard on me to get things in and out of.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from the hardware store....
image.jpg

For those who are interested, here was my shopping list:
7 2x4's untreated construction type
Titebond III waterproof wood glue
Pettit z-spar gloss white marine enamel (to waterproof the inside of the stand)
GRK R4 stainless steel framing screws, [HASHTAG]#10x2[/HASHTAG] 3/4"
Speed lite level square
2 4" c clamps

I'm so excited!!!!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And of course I cut some of the wood wrong after measuring it 3 times. Sigh. Luckily I cut too long instead of too short.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love building stands! It's fun but can get quite pricey.
Boy is that the truth. The stainless steel screws were the most expensive thing, followed by the waterproof paint. The wood was the cheapest thing. lol

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah and if you use fancy ply wood or hard wood it almost defeats the purpose of building one because it ends up being more expensive than a prebuilt stand!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 29 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.9%
Back