OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah and if you use fancy ply wood or hard wood it almost defeats the purpose of building one because it ends up being more expensive than a prebuilt stand!
Oh I'm building it myself so it will be stronger. I had no illusions that it would be cheaper because I want it to be pretty.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just trying to not screw it up. Lol

Screwing up is half the fun. That way you feel extra accomplished when it is done right! I just miss cut 4 boards on a canopy I am building. Good thing they were only 9" boards to begin with, so I didn't loose much material!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here it is, almost done. It's not perfect, but it is level!
image.jpg

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood makes the stand allot more rigid also. You can get the small 2'X4' boards at Lowe's pretty cheap.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Frame complete and level! And the 20g long doesn't fit.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it hitting the internal vertical boards? Maybe twist the back ones 90 so they are running the other direction. Maybe you will have enough room then. That make sense? You have to put it in, one end first, because the opening is about 3/4" too narrow to put it in the front hole straight. Even after you move the two back boards, you may not be able to get it through the front, but I bet you could slide it in through the top . Only thing is you couldn't remove it later, without taking the tank off the top of the stand.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
Is it hitting the internal vertical boards? Maybe twist the back ones 90 so they are running the other direction. Maybe you will have enough room then. That make sense? You have to put it in, one end first, because the opening is about 3/4" too narrow to put it in the front hole straight. Even after you move the two back boards, you may not be able to get it through the front, but I bet you could slide it in through the top . Only thing is you couldn't remove it later, without taking the tank off the top of the stand.
I just exchanged it for a 20 tall. It fits better actually, with a little room for an electronic compartment on the left.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have another question. Can I make due with a 2 chamber sump? I can always add on a hang-on refugium later if I need to.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on making the front and sides removable with magnets.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you have a pretty tall stand, so it should be fine. It could be an issue with a smaller stand, cause you would have issue removing the skimmer. I think the extra 4" may help so you don't have issues with overflowing. Especially if you run an ATO. There isn't much volume difference between a 15g sump running level, and the resting level (pump turned off). When setting up an ATO to be flood proof, you are suppose to get your sump running at the proper level, shut the pump off. Once everything stops draining, measure how much room you have left in your sump before it would overflow. That amount is the max capacity of your ATO container. This way, even if it got stuck open and dumped the whole container in at once, then your power went out, it still wouldn't flood. At that foot print (both 15 and 20L), it is approximated 1.25 gallons / inch of level in the tank. So if there is only 2" of space before the sump would overflow, your top off could only be 2.5 gallons. When the extra 4", you sump could hold 7.5 gallons in your ATO.

For future reference just multiply the foot print of the tank in INCHES not feet 24" x 12" = 288, then divide by 231 (cubic inches in a gallon), and it will tell you how many gallons are in 1" of water in your tank/sump. You can also use it to find the total volume. 15 gallon tank is 24" x 12" x 12" = 3456 cu in. Divided by 231 gives you 14.96 gallons. Pretty close!

Back