GlennF's 300 gallon DSR reef.

phil bevilacqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that. I have about 250 gal of water . I reason I went from dosing to reactor was the cost per month for all the liquid… Is the EZ liquid dosed less once it’s at levels? Or can I leave The reactor in place and just dose the other parts, just not the Alk, calcium, mag? Or is it all or nothing? Ty

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that. I have about 250 gal of water . I reason I went from dosing to reactor was the cost per month for all the liquid… Is the EZ liquid dosed less once it’s at levels? Or can I leave The reactor in place and just dose the other parts, just not the Alk, calcium, mag? Or is it all or nothing? Ty
It can be done, i have worked with both at the same time (2011-2015). As i mentioned before, you have 2 things to consider: dailing in your CaRX and your dosings. (Dosing Stuff the CaRX lack)
It's like having 2 captains on 1 ship. 1 can have the job done. 2 are less efficient but it you have redundancy.
But..... After all those years i found out the CaRX was always the one that failed. Dailing in the dosing with a RX is also less efficient because you can't exactly quantify the output. Dosings are direct and precise with the ezcalculator:
http://dsrreefing.com/ezcalc2.
Correction are easy with the compactcalculator
http://dsrreefing.com/compactcalc/

The EZ liquids are saturated solutions, so there is no higher concentrate.

Sometimes you have to make the choice:
Being succesfull with higher consumption/cost, or lowering the cost and being happy with a little less result. These are choices no one but yourself can make.

Last edited:

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glen, do you still have your sea fan? I currently have 3 of them. They seem to grow much slower than other gorgonians. did you notice the same? I saw in one of your photos, your sea fan looked to have a black spot on it. Has that healed? What was that caused by? In the wild, they are caused by pseudomonas infection.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glen, do you still have your sea fan? I currently have 3 of them. They seem to grow much slower than other gorgonians. did you notice the same? I saw in one of your photos, your sea fan looked to have a black spot on it. Has that healed? What was that caused by? In the wild, they are caused by pseudomonas infection.
I have 1 .
still the same one since 3 years.
Yes, they grow very slow
The black spot was an infection and it is healing by itself very slowly. I think the cause was lack of flow. In time the reef has grown and become flow limited

I realy need to pay more attention to these details.
I sometimes lose (parts of) corals due to (coral) overcrowding.
09255138f1ec87721839d0293378cb77.jpg

Last edited:

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the yellow sea fan variety. Mine are purple. You have to be very careful with sea fans. Pseudomonas is a common bacterium and easily introduced into your tank by not washing your hands well after working with soil. The same bacterium can also cause white band disease in many Acropora corals. The photos below show the affect on corals in the Caribbean, it is very common. Some of our Acropora corals are endangered because of this. I took these photos a year ago in St. John.

92E272A5-49D0-4BAB-B150-14AB116B78D0.jpeg

5D079986-AFBF-45E3-BA1F-B70ED664CDFF.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the yellow sea fan variety. Mine are purple. You have to be very careful with sea fans. Pseudomonas is a common bacterium and easily introduced into your tank by not washing your hands well after working with soil. The same bacterium can also cause white band disease in many Acropora corals. The photos below show the affect on corals in the Caribbean, it is very common. Some of our Acropora corals are endangered because of this. I took these photos a year ago in St. John.

92E272A5-49D0-4BAB-B150-14AB116B78D0.jpeg

5D079986-AFBF-45E3-BA1F-B70ED664CDFF.jpeg

Yeah ... i love the yellow one also. I tried them before (in 2008) and they were always overgrown with algea. Don't know whether they died due to the algea or the algea grew on it after they died.

Last time i just stumbled on this speciment at the LFS and kept it alive till now.
I did change my way of reefing though, because in 2011 i did my research and switched from "doing nothing" to targeted dosings.

Good to know about the dirty soil.
I make it a habbit to work clean anyway, so the chance of such a contamination is very slim.

I do believe that healthy wel fed/lighted corals are more resilient to any form of infections.
So i keep my nutrients slightly higher than most reefers would do.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a lot.. Also haven't done many water changes.. My last bucket of salt lasted 10 years.

I was wondering, how do you get rid of the chlorine ions from the CaCl and MgCl. My Ca is maintained with CaHO and vinegar but my Mg levels get low. I would like to just use MgCl but was worried the Cl would build up over time because of my lack of water changes. Will the Cl gas out?

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a lot.. Also haven't done many water changes.. My last bucket of salt lasted 10 years.

I was wondering, how do you get rid of the chlorine ions from the CaCl and MgCl. My Ca is maintained with CaHO and vinegar but my Mg levels get low. I would like to just use MgCl but was worried the Cl would build up over time because of my lack of water changes. Will the Cl gas out?

You are like me 10 years ago. Back than i didn't do waterchanges and didn't know much about water chemistry either.
So i learned basic chemistry and after that most things became much clearer.

I wrote a piece about that on my website. About how to keep the ionic balance within boundaries.

http://www.dsrreefing.nl/balance.html

a97a1d6126c8e6973f8efbcac9f4913d.jpg

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flippersflippinooah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Glenn,
I am curious what your lastest findings/experimentations with led lights are, settings on spectrum/colors etc., how the latest EZ tank is doing on led only?

Cheers,

C

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since my last posting.
Summertime is my time for outdoorsports and activities.

The reefs are cruising on autopilot and i regularly clean the windows/skimmer/powerfilter and fill up the dosing containers. Nothing exciting...

While working on my rooftop is had a surprise visit from some german reefing friends.
They were totaly surprised by the growthrate of my EZ550reef and posted this movie.

It's in german but Youtube has a function which can translate into english subtitles.

happy DSR reefer

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since my last posting.
Summertime is my time for outdoorsports and activities.

The reefs are cruising on autopilot and i regularly clean the windows/skimmer/powerfilter and fill up the dosing containers. Nothing exciting...

While working on my rooftop is had a surprise visit from some german reefing friends.
They were totaly surprised by the growthrate of my EZ550reef and posted this movie.

It's in german but Youtube has a function which can translate into english subtitles.

happy DSR reefer

Wow! Super impressive!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gorgeous system

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back