glowing/ fluorescent tube worm

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a couple fluorescent tube worms in my tanks (i think they’re super cool) wondering if anyone knows the name
they aren’t all over the place just scattered here and there, they tube inside the rocks & shoot into the tube when disturbed

IMG_7090.jpeg IMG_7091.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a couple fluorescent tube worms in my tanks (i think they’re super cool) wondering if anyone knows the name
they aren’t all over the place just scattered here and there, they tube inside the rocks & shoot into the tube when disturbed

IMG_7090.jpeg IMG_7091.jpeg
I know this is a tough ask, but any chance you could get a closer up, clearer pic of it?

If not, could you say if the tentacles are branched on it (i.e. do the tentacles have little tentacles coming off of them like you see with the big fan worm next to it, or are they just single tentacles with no little ones branching off)?

Also, when it retracts into it's tube, does it "shut the door" behind it (close it with it's operculum) or just retract in and hide while "the door's open"?

OP
OP
shcrimps

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a tough ask, but any chance you could get a closer up, clearer pic of it?

If not, could you say if the tentacles are branched on it (i.e. do the tentacles have little tentacles coming off of them like you see with the big fan worm next to it, or are they just single tentacles with no little ones branching off)?

Also, when it retracts into it's tube, does it "shut the door" behind it (close it with it's operculum) or just retract in and hide while "the door's open"?
tough task indeed
they are really small so but i can try moving one of the rocks up front and using a macro lens
it kinda looks like the tentacles have smaller ones coming off of them
the big one is separate and there’s plenty of these guys just solo, i don’t see a door of sorts but that could be because size and how far they are from view
i’ll work on getting some better shots today

OP
OP
shcrimps

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_7109.jpeg
    IMG_7109.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 65

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no noticeable door on them but closer up they do have tubes (just very very small)
doors always open for these guys
Sorry, been having to read up on these guys (I don't usually bother trying to ID beyond just recognizing them as feather dusters) - this indicates they don't have a true operculum, and I don't see a pseudoperculum in your pic, so that narrows it down to the taxonomic family Sabellidae.

Does the worm have any eyes on the tentacles there? I don't see any compound eyes, but does it have any eyespots? (They'd look like little, dark dots/tiny balls on the tentacles themselves; they can be hard to see when they're on the dark colored portions of the tentacles - for examples, Figures 2B, 2M, 3B, 13F, 16E, 16I, 21F, and 22F; you can see them in others as well, but they're harder to pick out).
If your worm has eyespots, note as much info as you can about them (things like, do they come in groups, pairs, rows, singularly, etc.; where they're found on the tentacles; how close they are to worm's mouth/body on the tentacle; etc.).

OP
OP
shcrimps

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want glowing tube worms now….
IMG_7172.jpeg

more are popping up and less so glowing more so fluorescent (i’m assuming they have a gene or protein that reacts to light) so in all whites they don’t really look entirely the same and they do not emit noticeable light that i can see in complete dark

OP
OP
shcrimps

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i could get them on small pieces i would be open to shipping within the lower states as long as shipping is paid for so free worms shipping not free (i have no experience shipping but they seem resilient enough to do 2-3 day shipping if heat isn’t super bad) i mean after all they spent about a week in transit with nothing but damp paper towels over them when i ordered the aussie rock

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i could get them on small pieces i would be open to shipping within the lower states as long as shipping is paid for so free worms shipping not free (i have no experience shipping but they seem resilient enough to do 2-3 day shipping if heat isn’t super bad) i mean after all they spent about a week in transit with nothing but damp paper towels over them when i ordered the aussie rock
If you could pm me an estimate of the shipping cost I might take them :)

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back