Glue on trachy

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Accidentally got glue on the flesh of my trachy. What should I do and will it make it?
3A1E055F-D13A-40A9-AB95-BC0FBEE665F7.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please help!
Unfortunately- will be a permanent dead spot. You cant scrape it, peel it, or place nail polish remover without causing further damage.
Sorry to hear and bear the bad news.
It will look deformed BUT still be healthy

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately- will be a permanent dead spot. You cant scrape it, peel it, or place nail polish remover without causing further damage.
That’s upsetting. Fortunately it’s a 30 dollar trachy

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lots superglue on skeloton of my lobo as tried gluing/epoxy it to the rockwork but at an angle but kept falling off so kept adding more glue and inevitable got glue on my fingers then glue on the lobo flesh.i waited 30 minutes or so and just gently pulled it off with finger nails apart from some very small pieces off glue and i feared the worse but the lobo deflated and i prezume pointy bits of the skeloton stuck through its own flesh and the glue fell off ( well this what i seen with it deflating then next i see the small pieces off glue not on the flesh) but no apparent damage to lobo i can see.did have mesamul filaments or whatever they called come out the flesh the day after so guessing thats from falling 8 inch onto sandbed 3- 4 times and glue on it lol but dont panic and do what you can without being rough.
Im not saying this from me being experienced reefer as im not but just in general in life its best to not panic and just do what we can then dont make rash decisions and think more clearly,goodluck ^_^

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lots superglue on skeloton of my lobo as tried gluing/epoxy it to the rockwork but at an angle but kept falling off so kept adding more glue and inevitable got glue on my fingers then glue on the lobo flesh.i waited 30 minutes or so and just gently pulled it off with finger nails apart from some very small pieces off glue and i feared the worse but the lobo deflated and i prezume pointy bits of the skeloton stuck through its own flesh and the glue fell off ( well this what i seen with it deflating then next i see the small pieces off glue not on the flesh) but no apparent damage to lobo i can see.did have mesamul filaments or whatever they called come out the flesh the day after so guessing thats from falling 8 inch onto sandbed 3- 4 times and glue on it lol but dont panic and do what you can without being rough.
Im not saying this from me being experienced reefer as im not but just in general in life its best to not panic and just do what we can then dont make rash decisions and think more clearly,goodluck ^_^
I will be able to readdress the situation in 2 hours or so when I return home. Don’t know if it’ll be too late then but any effort is better than none

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be able to readdress the situation in exam 2 hours or so when I return home. Don’t know if it’ll be too late then but any effort is better than none
If it was today, not so bad. Leaving it alone will allow for infection to set in.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not the case. Superglue does not permanently adhere to coral flesh due to the thick slime layer over the whole animal. The glue should slough off in a matter of hours or by tomorrow. If the glue is on bare skeleton then in may pose more of an issue, but it doesn't look to be the case.
Good luck and God bless!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is not the case. Superglue does not permanently adhere to coral flesh due to the thick slime layer over the whole animal. The glue should slough off in a matter of hours or by tomorrow. If the glue is on bare skeleton then in may pose more of an issue, but it doesn't look to be the case.
Good luck and God bless!
Looking at the pic, it has run down to the skeletal base.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck and God bless!
Should I still try and remove when I get back?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for sure, if it hasn't fallen off by then. Try gently picking it off with a toothpick as another user mentioned before me.
You were right. It did end up falling off. I had to gently scratch off one part but it’s off and the coral looks fine. Only bad thing was I discovered a black and white striped looking centipede thing on it and I’m suspicious it’s a bobbit. I don’t know where it is. Didn’t see it on coral when I removed it so for all I know it’s somewhere in the tank. Nervous about that one. Wouldn’t be able to dip it for another day and I’m not entirely sure it’s a bobbit

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were right. It did end up falling off. I had to gently scratch off one part but it’s off and the coral looks fine. Only bad thing was I discovered a black and white striped looking centipede thing on it and I’m suspicious it’s a bobbit. I don’t know where it is. Didn’t see it on coral when I removed it so for all I know it’s somewhere in the tank. Nervous about that one. Wouldn’t be able to dip it for another day and I’m not entirely sure it’s a bobbit
That's good to hear! The coral should recover as if nothing happened. I wouldn't worry about the worm, there are so many thousands of marine worms that you can never really tell. Thankfully, very few of them eat coral or live fish so you should be safe.
Have a nice day and God bless!

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was checking on it today and I see that the spots where the glue has been, the trachy looks deflated and is gray. You think these parts will die?
image.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably attempting tissue repair.

Edit: Keep an eye out for infection and be ready for a dip.

Brown Jelly and tissue recession •You will need 3 separate containers for mixing ingredients. Another 1 or 2 for rinsing the coral off when moving to next dip.
** Do Not Combine the ingredients**
1. Mix 2 cups of tank water with 1 capful of witch hazel, you can sub hydrogen peroxide if necessary. Swirl it around, and/or use something to gently blow off the “jelly”. Dip for 15 minutes

2. Mix 2 cups of tank water with 1/2 of a packet of furan 2. Swirl the coral in the dip, or use baster as done with the Witch Hazel for 15 minutes 3. Mix 2 cups of tank water with iodine until it looks like lightly colored iced tea. Swirl/baster for 15 minutes.
•I use Lugols Iodine with 2-2.5 drops from the included dropper.
4. Swirl the coral in another container with only tank water. Place the coral back into the tank in low light for a day or two.

Now, this is not my recipe. But it does work in a lot of nasty situation. That is if infection kicks in. You can do an iodine dip if you like. I still think it's healing.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably attempting tissue repair.

Edit: Keep an eye out for infection and be ready for a dip.

Brown Jelly and tissue recession •You will need 3 separate containers for mixing ingredients. Another 1 or 2 for rinsing the coral off when moving to next dip.
** Do Not Combine the ingredients**
1. Mix 2 cups of tank water with 1 capful of witch hazel, you can sub hydrogen peroxide if necessary. Swirl it around, and/or use something to gently blow off the “jelly”. Dip for 15 minutes

2. Mix 2 cups of tank water with 1/2 of a packet of furan 2. Swirl the coral in the dip, or use baster as done with the Witch Hazel for 15 minutes 3. Mix 2 cups of tank water with iodine until it looks like lightly colored iced tea. Swirl/baster for 15 minutes.
•I use Lugols Iodine with 2-2.5 drops from the included dropper.
4. Swirl the coral in another container with only tank water. Place the coral back into the tank in low light for a day or two.

Now, this is not my recipe. But it does work in a lot of nasty situation. That is if infection kicks in. You can do an iodine dip if you like. I still think it's healing.
I think it is too. The rest of the coral is pretty plump and it’s just within a few millimeters of each scar.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back