Gluing rocks together...how to

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had bought some aquarium safe silicone the past week and i feel like it will work pretty well if i put a lot in between the cracks. I am sceptical though because if i out a heavier rock somewhere in the middle and possibly off to the side of another, would it not become top heavy?
Does anybody have other resources or things that will work to make these rocks stay glued together?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff works really well and I got some pretty nice aquascape put together which otherwise wouldn't have worked.

Mortar for aquascape

6A402D10-426B-40AA-8DF3-DBABE3EB3385.png

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and i get the same thing at a hardware store or it has to be specifically aquarium safe?

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it easy but you need to make small batches within the kit to start with. The first time I mixed a small amount it took a bit to get the right consistency. After that it was a piece of cake.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Marco stuff as well (good deal from a local who didnt use much) and found it easy to work with. I dont think there is anything special about it and the same thing is likely available from the local hardware store.

OP
OP
Michelesreef

Michelesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Any advice or is it pretty self explanatory to gluing them together? Not so much with the cement stuff but the process of getting the rocks to look right

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the mortar you'll need to figure out how to prop you rocks up while it dries. Also keep in mind if you ever need to take it out. Don't mortar your entire aquascape together (not sure how much you have). Pretty hard to lift a hundred pound rock out. If it's top heavy you still need to make sure the structure is sound on the tank floor.

chowberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used the e-Marco stuff. It isn't too difficult to use, but as others said you need to be able to prop the rocks up when it dries. I let it cure for a few days in a separate tank and dropped the whole thing into an existing system. I would definitely use it again

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what size rocks your putting together you could also use superglue.
The white glue will grow algae on it and disappear or you can sprinkle sand on it to help hide it.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff works great.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-part epoxies are pretty strong too. Mix/blend well outside of the tank to avoid skimmer upset and avoid overly mucking with it in the tank.
If your structure is large, support it while the epoxy cures.
The brands I'm thinking of are not meant to hold very large pieces of rock, but do hold very well in the proper situations.

I've used Tunze (off market now?) D&D Aquascape Construction Epoxy, and Vertex E-colla (off market ??).
All of these were successful at holding larger rocks together 5+lbs each when fully cured in a tub.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your ever worried about the rock holding, then its probably not a good idea to leave it alone especially knowing how much large colonies will add to the weight of the 2 structures. For larger rockstructures I use acrylic rods and once these are surrounded by expoxy no one is going to be able to bring them apart short of using a hammer.

kjbrooks71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the cement for the first time a couple weeks ago, pretty easy; i did make quite the mess. Getting the right consistency is the hardest part. I just kinda pushed into the cracks and propped the rock up til it set up.

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for E Marco 400. I've tried most methods and this one is amazing.

Here's a step by step photo sequence of how i built my aquascape.

20200205_191724.jpg

Last edited:

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more vote for e-Marco
I worked in small sections and made sure to secure rocks while they cured.
AD65FCC1-06E2-4248-99B6-556E7A144603.jpeg

Back