Gobies and clean up crew

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I’m new to the hobby and just set up my tank a couple of days ago. After cycling I was looking into getting some clownfish and a goby. I know there is multiple different types of gobies and was wondering what you guys think is the best one? I want to pair the goby with a pistol shrimp. Also what are your guys clean up crews? Any recommendations? Just something to think about! Thank you and have a nice day!

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum, zachary. :)

what other fish (if any) do you plan on adding to the 29G tank? it's recommended to semi-finalize the list, and then introduce from most peaceful to most aggressive. the fish are introduced one at a time or in small batches to allow the tank biology to adjust to the nutrient/ammonia load. (intervals of like 1-2 weeks).

standard clean-up crew would be a few hermit crabs and snails (trochus, turban, turbo snails). later on, maybe even an urchin or a sea cucumber. wait for the tank to mature further; otherwise, you risk starving your newly acquired CUC in tank with nothing substantial for them to forage on.

enjoy the journey!

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

Totally agree with the comment. You should introduce from less aggressive to most aggressive fish. I would stay away from Tangs, fox fish, Angel fish(not the dwarf angel), Anthias. Clownfish, dottybacks, gobies,damsels, cardinal are nice addition to the tank.

I'm a big believer of quarantine process. It helps acclimating new fish to your water parameter, reduces stress, reduces chance of any external parasite outbreak in your main tank.

Hermit Grab, nassarius snail are something inverts to consider.

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to the forum, zachary. :)

what other fish (if any) do you plan on adding to the 29G tank? it's recommended to semi-finalize the list, and then introduce from most peaceful to most aggressive. the fish are introduced one at a time or in small batches to allow the tank biology to adjust to the nutrient/ammonia load. (intervals of like 1-2 weeks).

standard clean-up crew would be a few hermit crabs and snails (trochus, turban, turbo snails). later on, maybe even an urchin or a sea cucumber. wait for the tank to mature further; otherwise, you risk starving your newly acquired CUC in tank with nothing substantial for them to forage on.

enjoy the journey!
Hello, I’m excited to start my journey! I’m only 17 years old and always, always enjoyed watching the hobby. For my first tank I think I’m going to do just maybe 2-3 clownfish and a goby. I don’t want to start off the hobby with a variety of different fish until I start getting invested more into the hobby. (Which I most certainly will have a much larger tank in the future to do so)

As for the cleaner crews, I do want to to get a pistol shrimp and hermit crabs along with a few snails, but not until later on until the tank is more established. I’m thinking that maybe I would add my clownfish, and then a goby and a pistol shrimp together just so I could have something little at first to clean up the leftovers.

Once the tank is more established, I do want to add a bubble tip anemone for the clownfish (hopefully they will host) and possibly a star fish. What are your guys experience with star fish if you ever had them? Is it a good idea or a no go? What is the best ones to get? Thank you for any responses!

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

Totally agree with the comment. You should introduce from less aggressive to most aggressive fish. I would stay away from Tangs, fox fish, Angel fish(not the dwarf angel), Anthias. Clownfish, dottybacks, gobies,damsels, cardinal are nice addition to the tank.

I'm a big believer of quarantine process. It helps acclimating new fish to your water parameter, reduces stress, reduces chance of any external parasite outbreak in your main tank.

Hermit Grab, nassarius snail are something inverts to consider.
I do not have a QT as I am new to the whole hobby and I’m just going to let them drip acclimate. I hope this isn’t going to cause too much stress to the new comers!

Ook Sag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yasha goby and randall's pistol shrimp are my favorite combo. I currently have a orange spot goby paired with two randall's pistol shrimp and they have a massive fortress under the rocks. In my experience most gobies will pair with pistol shrimp if you introduce the gobies when they are on the smaller side. If the goby gets big before they have a "home" burrow it most likely wont go under the rocks with the shrimp and will find its own crevice to hide in.

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I’m new to the hobby and just set up my tank a couple of days ago. After cycling I was looking into getting some clownfish and a goby. I know there is multiple different types of gobies and was wondering what you guys think is the best one? I want to pair the goby with a pistol shrimp. Also what are your guys clean up crews? Any recommendations? Just something to think about! Thank you and have a nice day!
Yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp are perfect!
here is a picture of my pair!

5E01A712-3E90-42CD-A7FC-1C9FD7B05725.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow watchman goby and tiger pistol shrimp are perfect!
here is a picture of my pair!

5E01A712-3E90-42CD-A7FC-1C9FD7B05725.jpeg
That is awesome! Can’t wait to see this relationship (hopefully they have one). I’m very interested in the yellow watchman goby, I love the bright yellow color!!

OP
OP
Z

Zachary S.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yasha goby and randall's pistol shrimp are my favorite combo. I currently have a orange spot goby paired with two randall's pistol shrimp and they have a massive fortress under the rocks. In my experience most gobies will pair with pistol shrimp if you introduce the gobies when they are on the smaller side. If the goby gets big before they have a "home" burrow it most likely wont go under the rocks with the shrimp and will find its own crevice to hide in.
I wasn’t a big fan of the yasha goby, but the orange spotted goby and Randall’s pistol shrimp is definitely something to look into. Thank you for the suggestion!

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your guys experience with star fish if you ever had them? Is it a good idea or a no go? What is the best ones to get?

one can categorize starfish as reefsafe and not reefsafe. chocolate chip starfish (pic below) are not reefsafe, but they are quite hardy. you can feed them small thawed pieces of shrimp (via a long bamboo skewer). it’s really cool watching them feed when they are high up on the glass.

Chocolate Chip Sea Star

another good beginner starfish is a general star aka “red knob starfish.” those are more vibrantly colored, but usually more expensive.

Red Knob Sea Star

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one can categorize starfish as reefsafe and not reefsafe. chocolate chip starfish (pic below) are not reefsafe, but they are quite hardy. you can feed them small thawed pieces of shrimp (via a long bamboo skewer). it’s really cool watching them feed when they are high up on the glass.

Chocolate Chip Sea Star

another good beginner starfish is a general star aka “red knob starfish.” those are more vibrantly colored, but usually more expensive.

Red Knob Sea Star
Im going to google the chocolate chip start fish eating lol never seen one before.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back