Gobies

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back when there used to be plenty of sites that had easily browsable profiles of available fish and solid information on them. Ive been looking and all ive found are old unmaintained sites that are 20 years outdated or sites with junk info. Any of you guys know of one? Specifically right now Im trying to research all the gobies that are available in the trade.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, none are perfect by any means, but here are some that are generally pretty good (I'm sure I'm forgetting a few; I left a few that are unlikely to be relevant or just don't contain much info out on purpose):

-LiveAquaria (hobbyist oriented)
-Saltcorner (hobbyist oriented)
-JungleDragon
-FishBase/SeaLifeBase
-Fishes of Australia (Museums Victoria)
-Mexican Fish
-Florida Museum of Natural History
-Indian River Lagoon Species Inventory
-Shorefishes (Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute)
-Seaunseen
-WildSingapore
-Kwajalein Underwater
-NCFishes (rarely pops up, but good for some species found on the Eastern US north of Florida)
-INPN (it's French, but comes in handy sometimes)
-Frogfish.ch (frogfish specific, but by far the best frogfish technical info site around)

Edit: New I'd forgotten a few:
-MarineBio (Marine Conservation Society)
-Reef Life Survey
-The Online Guide to the Animals of Trinidad and Tobago (I'm not sure if you can purposefully search through these files on their site somehow, but it comes up pretty often with Google searches - it's species profiles compiled by The University of the West Indies at St. Augustine, Trinidad, and Tobago)
-Eprints@CMFRI (similar to the above, I can't get it to let me search their library on their site, but it comes up pretty often with Google searches - there are a number of species profiles compiled by the Open Access Institutional Repository of Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute)

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back when there used to be plenty of sites that had easily browsable profiles of available fish and solid information on them. Ive been looking and all ive found are old unmaintained sites that are 20 years outdated or sites with junk info. Any of you guys know of one? Specifically right now Im trying to research all the gobies that are available in the trade.
What gobies are you looking at specifically? We can help with what you can get easily, and the ones you may never be able to get or are much higher in price (some can go for 5K or more from memory).

OP
OP
R

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gobies are you looking at specifically? We can help with what you can get easily, and the ones you may never be able to get or are much higher in price (some can go for 5K or more from memory).
Thats the thing theres a lot more available now than when I left the hobby. Im just trying to get an idea of what there is. The build ive been working on is two 75 dt's and ive been thinking of doing mostly gobies in one of them.

OP
OP
R

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked Bluezooaquatics.com
Their website is pretty good, and most fish have a decent description.
Definitely adds a bit of variety to what live aquaria lists but some of the information provided is sketchy.

@ISpeakForTheSeas thank you for that list. I had seen salt corner once or twice but didnt realize how useful it was. Almost none of those sites listed came up in any of my web searches.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 68 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back