Goby Bullying

ReefDaddyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I buy a orange spotted goby and a candy cane pistol shrimp both are super cool. The pistol and goby never really meet up and seems the goby wants nothing to do with the pistol. So I’m at the LFS and I see a high fin banded goby small than the orange one he looks cool so I buy him. I put him in the tank and he finds the pistol in less than a day and they been under this rock for a week now. The high fin comes out by poking his head out and the orange spotted darts at him everytime. He is starting to tick me off because the high fin won’t even come out and now the pistol won’t either. Any suggestions on how to break the dominance of the larger goby? Isolate for a week or two then put back in or just give him away? Btw they in a 34 gallon Cube Reefer 170 ton of rock and the orange goby has his own spot that he stays in but perches himself on this rock waiting for the little guy to come out.

bizzybeas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I buy a orange spotted goby and a candy cane pistol shrimp both are super cool. The pistol and goby never really meet up and seems the goby wants nothing to do with the pistol. So I’m at the LFS and I see a high fin banded goby small than the orange one he looks cool so I buy him. I put him in the tank and he finds the pistol in less than a day and they been under this rock for a week now. The high fin comes out by poking his head out and the orange spotted darts at him everytime. He is starting to tick me off because the high fin won’t even come out and now the pistol won’t either. Any suggestions on how to break the dominance of the larger goby? Isolate for a week or two then put back in or just give him away? Btw they in a 34 gallon Cube Reefer 170 ton of rock and the orange goby has his own spot that he stays in but perches himself on this rock waiting for the little guy to come out.
Following! I just love the goby shrimp relationship. Keep us updated!

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies don’t do well in groups. You can do two engineer gobies but that’s about the only species you can do more than one goby of. Personally I would get rid of the larger one. Blennies are the same way. More than one and they get into it.

OP
OP
R

ReefDaddyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies don’t do well in groups. You can do two engineer gobies but that’s about the only species you can do more than one goby of. Personally I would get rid of the larger one. Blennies are the same way. More than one and they get into it.
Thanks! I meant to update this because the orange spotted goby has since gone out the side of the tank and I found him in a box next to my tank. He must have hit the lid in the corner where my cord comes in for my power head with a good amount of force he went right out. My wife is now calling the Hi Fin a murder because now he is now out and about in the tank.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I meant to update this because the orange spotted goby has since gone out the side of the tank and I found him in a box next to my tank. He must have hit the lid in the corner where my cord comes in for my power head with a good amount of force he went right out. My wife is now calling the Hi Fin a murder because now he is now out and about in the tank.
Gobies just jump. That likely had nothing to do with any of your other fish. My engineer tried to jump every time I had the hood open and they’re a sand sifting species.

OP
OP
R

ReefDaddyz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies just jump. That likely had nothing to do with any of your other fish. My engineer tried to jump every time I had the hood open and they’re a sand sifting species.
Oh I know it was just a joke my wife was saying that the Hi Fin pushed him out. He would go crazy in the tank sometimes hit the back corner an fly up and hit the lid sometimes. I was doing a water change before and he would have went out but the water was about 8” down so he didn’t make it to the floor but was cool to see him airborne.

Back