Goby/Pistol Shrimp Question

Aaron Shapiro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weeks back I bought a goby/pistol shrimp pair from an LFS... It was pretty traumatic my clownfish attacked the shrimp right when I introduced him to the tank, and he wound up losing his pistol claw. The Goby died a couple of days later. I found a shell (I thought a body) of the shrimp as well.

Fast forward a few weeks and I just SPIED shrimp in a little burrow on the front of my tank. SO my question is... if I just purchase another goby is it possible to get them to pair up?? Will they find each other in the tank??

I'm not sure how all that works. ‍

Mykawl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya a random goby could pair up, more likely if they are the same size and color. But more importantly why did your clownfish attack a pistol shrimp and why did the goby die

I’m guessing the clownfish killed the goby as well which shouldn’t generally happen. Need much more info or it might happen again

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of weeks back I bought a goby/pistol shrimp pair from an LFS... It was pretty traumatic my clownfish attacked the shrimp right when I introduced him to the tank, and he wound up losing his pistol claw. The Goby died a couple of days later. I found a shell (I thought a body) of the shrimp as well.

Fast forward a few weeks and I just SPIED shrimp in a little burrow on the front of my tank. SO my question is... if I just purchase another goby is it possible to get them to pair up?? Will they find each other in the tank??

They shouldn’t have a problem finding each other. I did read some people had it take awhile but haven’t read anything about not pairing.
I would try and put goby by pistol home

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair from LA and the shrimp was tiny. Looked like a brine shrimp. After I introduced it to the tank, I never saw it again. The Watchman goby was a good size and healthy. He kept trying to pair with my hermit crabs. I went to my LFS a week or so later and they had a medium sized pistol shrimp. I added it to the tank and they paired overnight. I've had them for almost 2 years. The shrimp has grown considerably. My wife and I enjoy the pair very much.

Ken logan

Elite reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When adding new fish always cut the lights off. When I add my gobies and shrimp I get a 3 inch pvc pipe and a 45 degree elbow place 45 close to rock and add gobie and shrimp to pipe. I leave pipe for 24 hours

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you get another shrimp goby its likely they will pair. I had my shrimp for a week before introducing my goby and it took the goby less than 5 minutes to find him. But like anything there are no guarantees.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice I've had a pistol and goby pair up within minutes. On the other hand, like you I had a pistol refuse to get out of sight. He kept swimming around near the top in effect screaming "eat me, eat me". And they did.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving... I just watched my pink bar goby gulp down a smaller candy cane pistol shrimp. The goby had previously been been paired with a shrimp, that after about 4 years together the shrimp passed. I thought it would be fun to get another because they had a cute relationship. Apparently, if the shrimp isn't large enough at introduction... it becomes goby dinner.

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a pink spot goby eat a full size peppermint shrimp in the time it took it to sink to about half way down the tank. Fish tend to have a if it fits I'll eat it, also clowns eat human hands so every thing must be on the menu.

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share... because it was a rather costly meal for the pink bar. I also have a fairly large orange stripe goby in my aquarium, and purposefully ensured the tiny shrimp went to the goby with the smaller mouth by putting the shrimp down a rigid tube directly toward the goby den. I also was trying to prevent the shrimp from being harassed by my other fish. FAIL! I wish I had known, but couldn't find the info out there and thought it might be ok given they often have a symbiotic relationship. The tiny shrimp would have gone to the sump until it was big enough to not be swallowed whole.

Yeah, my clowns grab hold and wiggle their little bodies. They know the exact right spot to bite to get a great "splash water everywhere" reaction out of me. Inner arm, between the fingers... if fish laugh, they'd certainly be laughing at me.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back