Going Nuclear - Complete Restart Advice

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be re-starting my tank as over the past year I have battled bubble algae, aptasia and Montipora Eating Nudibranch's. (part of the makeover will include settling up a permanent space for a QT tank. NEVER not QT'ing new arrivals again!). I want to sterilize the entire system in place. Found this thread and planning on doing something similar:

Is there a specific strength of bleach solution to aim for? Min time needed to sterilize?

Or is there an other way to sterilize everything in place?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as someone who logs lots of tank rebuilds I recommend an opposite plan. what you're doing invites dinos above.

we should fix your current reef and keep its biofilter and relative rock community intact. a restart, but not a new cycle restart.

additional concerns: the algae portion of concern will get back in via hardscape additions and on the slime coats of fish and things added, there's a way to deal with invasions separate from the coral pests agreed that careful observation and QT of incoming items will help best with those and flatworms.

if you do want to bleach it, then make a 1/10th solution of bleach water and soak several hours, let the rock dry out days in the heat.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aiptasia and bubble algae are 100% controllable in any system where the rocks can be lifted out and worked a special way on the counter. no chemicals, no devices or injections, a special way that the continually uninvaded use.

so, your first new aquascape in the redone tank is a set of rock bommies, not a wall, where any portion can be lifted out as needed. this ends valonia and aiptasia forever, unless you choose one of the lesser control options the invaded use.

your immediate circle of sourcing selects for these challenges, and months after the new dry setup is cycled they'll be back, we plan for that in the moves above. if we keep your basal layers in tact on the rocks, you can still mature the system without dinos challenges and redoing by bleach increases that chance, along with the same invasions currently seen.

OP
OP
D

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valonia and aptasia I can deal with manually. And understood that this will invite the "uglies"as the tank has to mature again, but hoping it will deal with the MEN's and the vermitid snails.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valonia and aptasia I can deal with manually. And understood that this will invite the "uglies"as the tank has to mature again, but hoping it will deal with the MEN's and the vermitid snails.
I know im literally a month late but bumble bee snails should help with the vermatid snails.

OP
OP
D

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know im literally a month late but bumble bee snails should help with the vermatid snails.
Better late than never! The one thing I haven't tired. Changing feeding to mostly pellet and a rather brutal regime of pulling out rock work and smashing them at water changes has been helping. I'll give bumble bee's a go and see if they keep the remainder in check.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get rid of the Montipora eating nudibranches take them out of your display and put them in a quarantine tank. You said you plan to set up a quarantine tank anyway so just take all your Montis and put them in there.

If you start fresh but then just transfer your Montiporas with eggs and nudis to a new tank you won't solve anything. Let your display go without Montis and inspect and dip your Montis in QT as needed.

OP
OP
D

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get rid of the Montipora eating nudibranches take them out of your display and put them in a quarantine tank. You said you plan to set up a quarantine tank anyway so just take all your Montis and put them in there.

If you start fresh but then just transfer your Montiporas with eggs and nudis to a new tank you won't solve anything. Let your display go without Montis and inspect and dip your Montis in QT as needed.

That was an idea I had but I think my wrasse may have dealt with them.

I threw out any infested pieces and their neighbours around 7 months ago. Only kept small frags that were far away from the others and no visible signs of infestation. Since then I've had zero signs of any infestation and over the past month, my Monti's are starting to grow again. If I make it to a year without any evidence of them I'll say I won. Until then, I will wait and watch for signs.

Currently have about 4 mini colonies and 2 frags.

For Bubble algae you can get a mitrax crab and i dont know how big youre system is a foxface or rabbit fish eats thats a well
Only a 65 Gallon DT so not enough space for a foxface. Have tried Mithrax in the past but found they didn't really do much. Maybe I didn't have enough of them.

Ghost25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so you're going to tear down your tank and start fresh because of bubble algae and aptasia? You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Are they hurting your fish or corals? Are they completely covering your rocks?

To me it's a bit like buying a new car because your old one has a few small dents.

OP
OP
D

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so you're going to tear down your tank and start fresh because of bubble algae and aptasia? You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Are they hurting your fish or corals? Are they completely covering your rocks?

To me it's a bit like buying a new car because your old one has a few small dents.
The aptaia is taken care of in the DT thanks to my filefish. The bubble algae is running rampant though.

I get what you're saying. The idea to start fresh was to QT religiously and not re-introduce any. Figured the time to battle the pests vs the time to cycle a new setup would be similar. But without the threat of them already being there.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back