Going out of town for 10 days. Can’t get anyone to feed fish while gone. What to do?

Oceanis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi y’all, I currently have a 25 gallon Waterbox with two clown fish, a fang tooth blenny, Watchman Gobe/Pistol Shrimp combo and a cleaner shrimp. They’re usually fed twice a day, a mix of frozen food, and are all healthy and happy.

I’m going out of town for 10 days and can’t get someone to take care of the tank (don’t worry, I have an ATO). What can I do to keep them fed over the 10 day period? Are there any auto feeders that can accommodate this and are reliable enough to go 10 days without supervision? Also, any auto-feeder capable food recommendations are appreciated.

5FCFAAD4-559D-4218-B3B6-F348FC640D0D.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only seen auto feeders that can be used for flake or pellet. Pellets dispensed better than flake. I've used a couple different ones and both pretty much worked fine few times I have used them. I have used the eheim and the one shown below. Screenshot_20220605-152224_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the eheim auto fish feeder when I go on vacation. Holds more than enough for 10 days. I use flakes and just crush them alittle so no big flakes get stuck in the opening. Pellets work too.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Eheim and ones like the Petbank one shown above (one of several brands that look like they use the exact same model - Zacro was the first one I saw with that unit) are generally considered the best. Eheim has been the top of the industry for a long time, so they've got years of known good quality backing them. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to go with either.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Some LFS are happy to oblige or refer you to a local reef club who may have a member to stop over. Auto feeder should last a week, dont worry then about remaining days as tank will be clean and fish will be hungry

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only seen auto feeders that can be used for flake or pellet. Pellets dispensed better than flake. I've used a couple different ones and both pretty much worked fine few times I have used them. I have used the eheim and the one shown below. Screenshot_20220605-152224_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Same here better lasts a long time in one charge have 0 issues on my week trips

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheims like most people answering have been the most dependable in my experience. Vette guy has a good point as most lfs stores have a maintenance service and would probably feed your fish as well as check on your system for a fee of course . If you only have them do it a couple days it might not be bad . Keep in mind to that if you have a issue with the tank while your gone assuming you have a way to check the tank ie: camera , apex etc . , it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a contact for a lfs or service to take action if something should arise . And or leave a key with a friend or make arrangements on that line .

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with checking with your lfs. The Eheim would handle the feeding but it's nice to have someone check your tank incase your ATO fails or one of the pumps. I have the owner of my LFS check every other day when I'm gone for more than 4 days. He also has a sign on to my Apex.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the Eheim autofeeder. I feed Formula 1/2 pellets out of mine 2x/day all the time but 3x/day when I go on vacation. They're bulletproof but unfortunately not waterproof. Ask me how I know...

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to leave for a few days…
Other than these feeders a small camera is a must. I have one on every system I run. Means I can not only physically see what’s going on I can also listen.
D2307442-3687-4ED7-B284-0F69FAD79651.jpeg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back