Going To Purchase The Fluval EVO 13.5gal

ShockTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Happy that I found a form that I can talk with people with a similar interest! I am new with saltwater, although I do I have family that has saltwater tanks. I am set to do my first tank with little help as possible from them! :)

So I am purchasing a Fluval EVO 13.5 and I was wondering what people recommend for it? I was thinking of purchasing a InTank Media basket for chamber 1. Any suggestions on how to fill it?(Filter Floss? Activated Charcoal?) Also in chamber 2 should I upgrade what Fluval includes? And if so I was thinking maybe just filling it with some sort of biological and not installing a media basket.

Hi thejebster,

I too am a noob to this hobby and have chose to start with the Fluval Evo. The one thing I've had to remind myself of is patience, patience, patience. I’m currently 4 months in and the tank is doing great! Here is my reef tank setup.
Fluval Evo 13.5
Light: stock
Pump: Sicce Syncra 1.0 (251gph)
Filtration:
Chamber 1: InTank Media basket with filter floss, Chemi-Pure Blue, and Seachem Purigen
Chamber 2: Stock filtration
Chamber 3: Heater and Pump
Display: Approximately 12lbs of Life Rock and Live Sand
Live Stock: (2) Percula Clownfish, (1) Diamond Goby, (2) Turbo Snails, (2) Nasarius Snails, (2) Hermit Crabs.

I'm slowly making upgrades with the next being a wave maker to upgrade the flow followed by the InTank chamber 2 upgrade. I do all my maintenance once a week. I do about a 10 - 20% water change and cleaning of the stock Fluval filtration in chamber 2. I clean the glass, replace the filter floss and done. During the week I'll top off the Tank with RODI water and clean the class. Total maintenance time for the tank is about an hour for the entire week. I look forward to sharing any experience I can picking your brain as well.

ShockTank

ShockTank.jpg

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Happy that I found a form that I can talk with people with a similar interest! I am new with saltwater, although I do I have family that has saltwater tanks. I am set to do my first tank with little help as possible from them! :)

So I am purchasing a Fluval EVO 13.5 and I was wondering what people recommend for it? I was thinking of purchasing a InTank Media basket for chamber 1. Any suggestions on how to fill it?(Filter Floss? Activated Charcoal?) Also in chamber 2 should I upgrade what Fluval includes? And if so I was thinking maybe just filling it with some sort of biological and not installing a media basket.

welcome to R2R and reefing. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Kdub Koral Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi and Welcome! I have had the Fluval 13.5 for almost a year and it is an good starter aquarium. I did purchase ALL Intank Media Baskets and upgraded the lighting to an AI 16 Prime HD. I even tried the 2nd chamber refugium for a bit. (The problem was you will negate ALL Nutrients and cause other issues. The best thing to do with that tank is keep it very simple and keep softiess. The tank as a whole has been successful, but there is nothing like having a separate sump system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back