OP
Slippin

Slippin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is just so beautiful, I think I'm willing to risk it again.
I'm going to wait until he is fully pellet trained to take him from my QT tank and put him back into my display tank.
IMG_1112.JPG

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my Acans, bleeding Apple, as well as my Duncan colony which has 50 plus polyps... And others... Scolyemia... Pic below shows him picking.. Gorgeous fish. I have had tanks for ten years now. All sizes large and small. I've had angels destroy my tanks... This was the last time. I vowed after this never again with my current display...

The only angel I had that wasn't awful was a yellow belly regal. He was an awful eater and took 3-4 weeks before eating anything. Clams on half shells started him then he slowly ate out of water column. After a while 8-12 months he started eating zoos and Acans.

An angel unless its the Genicanthus, in time will cause issues with corals. It's in thier nature. But we all have to go though this and learn.. Some the hard way... [emoji12]

9503e7a9a37113f0487511fe4963fe85.jpg

c226d198de531ea1e72a5b55808e7662.jpg
3f52d950405faee2c6efb3b6be3a9f8d.jpg

Last edited:

DRoth335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a gold flake (as well as blue face, regal, flame and potters angels (and other fish)) in our reef for 2+ years and the only casualties we have had were zoas (although they all seem to leave palys alone as you can see in the pic below)
Gold Flake 2.jpg
. As you can see from the varied responses to your question, a lot of the "reef safe-ness" comes down to individual fish and we all take a calculated risk when we introduce a reef-safe-with-caution fish into our tanks. For us, we planned on this type of a tank as my wife loves many of these fish so we started with the intent of having an SPS dominant tank to increase our odds of success. Our other tank is much more of a mixed reef and we absolutely do not introduce reef-safe-with-caution fish into it. It all started when we were only planning 1 tank for our new house and when I said we can't add some of the fish my wife wanted to she asked why don't we just have 2 tanks....and you can bet I was on that in a heartbeat!

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 3 captive bred Singapore Angels from Poma Labs last week. They're currently in a 20 gallon tank to allow them to grow some before placing them in my 120 gallon mixed reef. It will be interesting to see if captive bred fish revert to their natural instinct, or will they resist because they've never been exposed to live coral before?

cFloor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goldflakes are very hit or miss in my opinion. I've had one that nipped at my acros constantly and the one I have now never touches them. I've never seen one nip at euphyllia but any zoas or meaty corals would likely get eaten.

AJsTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 400 gallon with a dozen angels and nearly every type of coral. There are 3 or 4 corals I've found that angels will eat, the rest they just nip here and there. Which I'm fine with.

Zoas, Trachs, Plates and Wellsos.

SPS, Euphyllia, Shrooms, most LPS are fine. Nipping isn't eating or destroying your coral. The trick is to feed them multiple times per day and also get a TON of coral so that it spreads the nipping out.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my pair of goldflakes started picking my awesome scoly and lobo. Had to take the corals out and trade them in. I do love the fish but am scared what's next... I think my chalice looks like it's been picked now

scott the coral assassin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a gold flake (as well as blue face, regal, flame and potters angels (and other fish)) in our reef for 2+ years and the only casualties we have had were zoas (although they all seem to leave palys alone as you can see in the pic below)
Gold Flake 2.jpg
. As you can see from the varied responses to your question, a lot of the "reef safe-ness" comes down to individual fish and we all take a calculated risk when we introduce a reef-safe-with-caution fish into our tanks. For us, we planned on this type of a tank as my wife loves many of these fish so we started with the intent of having an SPS dominant tank to increase our odds of success. Our other tank is much more of a mixed reef and we absolutely do not introduce reef-safe-with-caution fish into it. It all started when we were only planning 1 tank for our new house and when I said we can't add some of the fish my wife wanted to she asked why don't we just have 2 tanks....and you can bet I was on that in a heartbeat!
Yep had / having the same experience with my angels. Gold flake loves to eat zoes but leaves palys alone along with all other corals. The majestic is not supposed to be reef safe but for 3 years has never touched a single coral. With caution fish are definitely a coin flip.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you put them in the tank at the same time when they are small?
I got them as a bonded pair. I think they do that though, maybe one slightly bigger but need to be able to separate them I would think.

EastSideBAy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on if you ever put back the Gold Flake in the display? Contemplating if i should introduce a gold flake or a regal.

OP
OP
Slippin

Slippin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked with the owner of the store I purchased him from, they had a smaller Goldflake come in and agreed to swap the larger one for a smaller one.
The smaller Goldflake (2.5in) has been in my display tank for over 5 months without issue.
If you are interested in getting a goldflake, you will definitely want to get it while it as a juvenile.
Fish collected as adults are too set in their ways to be trained to eat only frozen/pelletized foods.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a juvenile about a month ago on LA. So far he’s been doing good. Eating everything I put in the tank, picking on clams and easy reefs masstick paste. Very active little guy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back