Goni won’t open

EliVChalk97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Maybe someone has an idea of what I can do. I got an amazeballs goni awhile back and it was open and happy for a few months. I had to move it because a month was overgrown and I think it stung the Goni. It kind of extended once last week but it’s now closed again.
ive changed flow, location due to flow and light, and feed it foods weekly.
I dose polyplab one and AB+
I appreciate any help!

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of gonis but I recently got a couple from one guy among them was a glitter goni and it won’t open anymore. Love to know what causes them to stop openeing

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried them years back with little to no success. Trying a small frag now again... have heard a few studies saying live Phytoplankton which I am currently dosing a few others twice a week and cyclops are a good one-two punch... I guess we'll see here soon enough.

Last edited:

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an alvepora I think it’s close enough to goni. I think what helped it to get open was just leaving it alone. I placed it on the sand bed and half blocked so it only got low to low-medium flow

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Maybe someone has an idea of what I can do. I got an amazeballs goni awhile back and it was open and happy for a few months. I had to move it because a month was overgrown and I think it stung the Goni. It kind of extended once last week but it’s now closed again.
I appreciate any help!
First off Polyplab One uses acetate. This is carbon dosing.

Second are you water changing? Trace elements are important.

I had the same issue. I would water change and polyps would come out for one day, then back in. Long story short, I finally figured out it was a depletion in my elements. I saw on my ICP that manganese was low. I also found a video from Sprung saying maganese and iron. After much fiddling I am dosing my own custom elements. Manganese nitrate and Iron ... oxide. This works. I put these in my top off and polyps are out and gonis are growing.

OP
OP
EliVChalk97

EliVChalk97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same issue. I would water change and polyps would come out for one day, then back in. Long story short, I finally figured out it was a depletion in my elements. I saw on my ICP that manganese was low. I also found a video from Sprung saying maganese and iron. After much fiddling I am dosing my own custom elements. Manganese nitrate and Iron ... oxide. This works. I put these in my top off and polyps are out and gonis are growing.
I do a 20% weekly water change. I did but a manganese iron supplement so I should probably start dosing that again. I have a total of 4 gonis and it’s the only one having problems.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looked like it wanted to open today so I dosed the manganese iron supplement. Turns out it’s just what it needed!
What is it you use for this dose? Curious and may try... problem is I've never tested these parameters before, so if I do decide to try also what is the reasonably priced test kit?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate any help!
Did you see zzyz's gonis?

Thread 'Goniopora (flowerpot corals) impossible? | Care recipes' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/goniopora-flowerpot-corals-impossible-care-recipes.784205/

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to use ICP tests to test for these parameters. :(
Oh boy, ok, so involved and not of the inexpensive variety. I will hold out a bit and see. Phyto and cyclops yesterday seemed to have perked it up today. It's my 20 dollar 'experiment' lol, which I hope succeeds....
20210310_184725.jpg

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see zzyz's gonis?

Thread 'Goniopora (flowerpot corals) impossible? | Care recipes' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/goniopora-flowerpot-corals-impossible-care-recipes.784205/
This is what I heard on another post somewhere that live Phytoplankton was a magic bullet to give them a fighting chance. I've been doing it for my Orange Tree Gorg last month or two and it has helped. Also doesn't seem to explode my nitrates like other foods do.... I shut down the skimming for 12 hours after dosing. No real detectable changes in water parameters whatsoever.

farosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Magnesium or manganese?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could be so bold a take this in a different direction. Soft coral toxins was my conclusion years ago as to why my success with gonis or Alveopora corals was a big zero! At the time, I was upgrading my tank size and set my mind to eliminate most of my softies and the ones I kept, I would keep a part from each other. I did and the results were seriously heathy gonis, Alveoporas not to mention my clams and sps took off. Not being able to test or see soft coral toxins I imagine is an unknown problem for many reefers. Good luck though:)
16E7369B-4ABB-4EE7-84F6-1DFAEC66A43D.jpeg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium or manganese?
Manganese.

I use manganese nitrate that I picked up on Ebay.

Not sure how you feel about the nitrate but for me my tank sucks up nitrate. Also the amount of nitrate that you will be dosing is pretty small.

Just be aware. :)

JPEG image.jpeg

Last edited:

farosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manganese.

I use manganese nitrate that I picked up on Ebay.

Not sure how you feel about the nitrate but for me my tank sucks up nitrate. Also the amount of nitrate that you will be dosing is pretty small.

Just be aware. :)

JPEG image.jpeg
Not sure if I missed it but how much do you dose (ml/gal) with manganese and how often?

I see a lot about magnesium dosing but haven't come across any good articles about trace elements.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if I missed it but how much do you dose (ml/gal) with manganese and how often?

I see a lot about magnesium dosing but haven't come across any good articles about trace elements.
The way I do it is not very accurate or scientific. To get really accurate results you need to use an ICP.

The manganese that I am using is +2. This means approximately one manganese for two nitrate. I make a solution of a known volume (1 liter) and then mix until I get 100ppm on a nitrate test. This will be approximately 50ppm of manganese. I then pull 30ml of this solution and put it in more water to be able to dose the small amount. I dose this over the course of 15 days.

Your mileage may vary. I do have large iron consumers in my tank and possibly they use the manganese too. ICP shows that my manganese is getting consumed.

I have Pipe Organ, Red Goni and red macro algae.

Back