Goniopora Success

Kevin Freemire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , new member here. Planning on setting up a reef after a 20+ yr absence. My , there has been some changes! Lol. Yrs ago when I did this successfully keeping Goniopora long term was very rare, fragging and growing them was unheard of. What’s changed? What’s been the biggest advancement?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , new member here. Planning on setting up a reef after a 20+ yr absence. My , there has been some changes! Lol. Yrs ago when I did this successfully keeping Goniopora long term was very rare, fragging and growing them was unheard of. What’s changed? What’s been the biggest advancement?

Hi! :)

not much has changed in that respect...........most people still can't keep them alive! lol

I have two: a red and a green.......I run a nutrient rich reef but i don't know if it has anything to do with that or just luck.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also still hear from pet stores that they die quickly and it's a large BIO load on your tank when they dissolve. I just stay away.

chefmur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great success with the ORA red ones, been able to not only keep and grow but frag successfully. I feed couple times a week with reefroids and reef chili. They are usually available on Live Aquaria/Divers Den

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a few years which eventually melted away and died. To me they always seemed hard to target feed. The polyps retract at any change in current or flow and when you try to target feed that causes difficulty. Broadcast feeding is probably better but you you need to have a high nutrient load.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding them is important, & maintaining potassium levels at or above NSW level. Good flow is also important

PaulS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen my red ORA have any type of feeding reaction. Tried a lot of different foods and I never feed it after that. Have fraged it multiple times.

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red with yellow center been going very well for a year now. Grown so much I’ll cut 3 frags so far. I don’t target feed, it might catch a few particles when I feed but that’s it. I think the reds may do better or it’s just super happy. I have a green as well but it hasn’t grown much but stays happy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 52.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.1%
Back