Good algae grazer for my 30 gallon?

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to get myself a good algae grazer. Not a lawnmower blenny. I want something colorful, and active. Ideally would be a tang, but I know that's not a great home for a tang. Unless I re home him once he is bigger?
Tank is 36" long

image.jpeg

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tailspot blennies are pretty cool. have you checked those out? they stay small and are great community fish with character.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tailspot blennies are pretty cool. have you checked those out? they stay small and are great community fish with character.
Still a bit bland in color in my opinion.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have much choice in some colorful fish for your size tank that will go after your algae.
Maybe a balanced ULNS will get your algae under control and with the right amount of No3 dosing with some bacteria you won't have algae taking over your tank.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have much choice in some colorful fish for your size tank that will go after your algae.
Maybe a balanced ULNS will get your algae under control and with the right amount of No3 dosing with some bacteria you won't have algae taking over your tank.
I like to keep my nitrates detectible, which is still a challenge. I run a ATS in my back chamber. Algae is by no means growing out of control in my tank, but I do have a few patches. Just think it would be nice to have a fish that grazes on those said patches.

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my very simple algae scrubber.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I said ULNS with a controlled No3 through dosing.
My No3 is around 5 and that is with dosing if I ain't dose for a day it will drop close to 0.0.
By controlled algae won't have a change as I dose during the night that corals only consume for what they need.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I said ULNS with a controlled No3 through dosing.
My No3 is around 5 and that is with dosing if I ain't dose for a day it will drop close to 0.0.
By controlled algae won't have a change as I dose during the night that corals only consume for what they need.
Do you have any more info on running a ULNS and dosing No3, Maybe a thread on hand?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any more info on running a ULNS and dosing No3, Maybe a thread on hand?

Nope not really other than keeping it low due to No3 and Po4 reduction by either filtration or dosing nutrients reducing additives.
Bacteria dosing is one of them too.
Recently I used on a 60 gallon cube that has only softies in them and runs on a sump with nothing more than a lifereef skimmer a treatment of Aquaforest bacteria Pro-S and my Po4 and No3 dropped with in 7 days to undetectable as I started dosing 4ml twice a day on No3's but GHA did disappear in less than 2 weeks.
Still dosing Bac and No3 as corals took on more color and my Inferno nem split 2 time last month too.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Manatees work great, but they are expensive and the plastic bag they come in are prone to leaks.

fenwick79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of turbo snails will keep it all clean. then buy the fish you want.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not really other than keeping it low due to No3 and Po4 reduction by either filtration or dosing nutrients reducing additives.
Bacteria dosing is one of them too.
Recently I used on a 60 gallon cube that has only softies in them and runs on a sump with nothing more than a lifereef skimmer a treatment of Aquaforest bacteria Pro-S and my Po4 and No3 dropped with in 7 days to undetectable as I started dosing 4ml twice a day on No3's but GHA did disappear in less than 2 weeks.
Still dosing Bac and No3 as corals took on more color and my Inferno nem split 2 time last month too.
Is no3po4x the same as aqua forest? Also why are you dosing a no3 removal and additive at the same time? How do you know the corals are consuming the no3 and the bacteria isn't eating it all?

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was talking about different tanks. He has multiple

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was talking about different tanks. He has multiple
I don't think he was. Maybe he was. I think I've read of people dosing both though, trying to find a balance.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is no3po4x the same as aqua forest? Also why are you dosing a no3 removal and additive at the same time? How do you know the corals are consuming the no3 and the bacteria isn't eating it all?

Not dosing any nutrient remover in my tank.
Testing daily on No3 will tell you if you need any, bacteria and Corals always consuming on No3's.
If you lacking No3 your corals will lose color.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back