Good Crab / Bad Crab?

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good crab or Bad Crab? Temporarily in Sump Limbo, but help me determine what's next?

I think good? Not hairy, no black claws, says please & thank you...

IMG_0187.jpg

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Tetralia coral crab of some description... if it is, it's a good one... Will make home in sps and eat stuff that lands on it, keep it clean, eat predators etc. If I'm wrong... and I may be, crabs are notoriously difficult to ID, then it'll no doubt eat all your SPS in twenty minutes :)

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eek, forgot to add he's from TBS live rock -- so Gulf of Mexico -- if that helps either support or contradict the Tetralia coral crab ID?

OP
OP
Giraffe0621

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
back at maybe good, maybe bad, maybe my first official Sump Creature?

There's no coral in the tank yet, but wouldn't want to chance it over one 1/2" crab from hell who could demolish it all before I could catch him again :(

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
back at maybe good, maybe bad, maybe my first official Sump Creature?

There's no coral in the tank yet, but wouldn't want to chance it over one 1/2" crab from hell who could demolish it all before I could catch him again :(
Until you can be 100% sure I would keep it in your sump. Not worth risking any coral for a crab IMO

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a porcelain crab. It should not give you any problems.
Not convinced by that... the porcelain crabs we see in the hobby normally either have a white outline on each part of the body, or are striped or with clear, defined spots. This has none of those. Additionally porcelain crabs are flattened, with claws having a wide, flat lateral profile. Again this doesn't appear to have either of those features. Below is a pic of a porcelain crab vs a Tetralia crab for reference.
86d7d228a8ed6b8e9a865a31feea9d49.jpg
15a0685c4efd3b64c514b705ffdc8df9.jpg

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not convinced by that... the porcelain crabs we see in the hobby normally either have a white outline on each part of the body, or are striped or with clear, defined spots. This has none of those. Additionally porcelain crabs are flattened, with claws having a wide, flat lateral profile. Again this doesn't appear to have either of those features. Below is a pic of a porcelain crab vs a Tetralia crab for reference.
86d7d228a8ed6b8e9a865a31feea9d49.jpg
15a0685c4efd3b64c514b705ffdc8df9.jpg

The porcelain carbs offered to sell are often of the two patterns as you describe, but there are “uglier” varieties. Also the shape of carapace is a good indication, true crabs are wider than porcelain crabs. However your crab looks a juvenile so hard to tell. If you see it regenerates more legs in the future we know it’s not a porcelain

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The porcelain carbs offered to sell are often of the two patterns as you describe, but there are “uglier” varieties. Also the shape of carapace is a good indication, true crabs are wider than porcelain crabs. However your crab looks a juvenile so hard to tell. If you see it regenerates more legs in the future we know it’s not a porcelain
More the reason to tell the OP it might be a porcelain and keep in the sump.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs are "decapods" ... four pairs of walking legs and two pincers. Some, such as hermits and king crabs, have reduced the last pair to insignificance.

Everything about this crab says "Porcelain" to me; the rounded body, number of legs, the sharp angle at his "elbow" and the way the front surface of his claws faces up - and those are common hitchhikers in Gulf of Mexico liverock. The usual Gulf variety is more grey than white with little red dots.

~Bruce

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back