Good deal on A80s?

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently setup my 10Gallon Aqueon for my second tank. i was looking at local facebook markets for a cheap light and stumbled upon two tuna blue a80s with gooseneck mounts. i offered 175 and he said 200 with two apex cords. i dont own a apex. i really only need one light but was wondering if this deal was to good to pass up. im sure i could find a reason for the second one. should i be stubborn at 175? im doing research now about this light for a 10G, as ive never owned a kessil.. just looking for some input. maybe what light would you suggest?
16321546332865760955093879915844.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to want 2 lights, if you're going with A80s on a 10 gallon.

Looks like a new one with a gooseneck goes for about 165. 2 for 200 isn't bad, as long as they aren't too old. And 25 bucks either way wouldn't sway me. Any idea how old the lights are?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One A80 will be more than enough for a 10g.

If in good condition and not old, you could sell one, if newish then $200 doesn’t seem too bad, if a little battered I would rather buy a new one.

Just to add, for all the hassle in reselling one, I would want the price lower than $200, if keeping both then $200 seems ok but not if you have to sell one to make this work for you, for only a little more you could get a new one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One A80 will be more than enough for a 10g.

If in good condition and not old, you could sell one, if newish then $200 doesn’t seem too bad, if a little battered I would rather buy a new one.

After doing minimum research I see that these lights have a outside controller that I don't have.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing minimum research I see that these lights have a outside controller that I don't have.

you can buy a $10 plug timer, just means you will not be able to change the colour or intensity unless you turn the knobs on the light itself, so if you are happy to have the light come on at the same setting all the time then the $10 timer will be fine, you can always change the colour as you walk past the tank if you fancy a change.

Good thing about the Kessil is the colour doesn’t change the spectrum for coral growth, the colour is only there for your preference, the intensity also is not really going to need changing, once set you can leave it, no need to have a ramp up period in the morning as the light is only 15 watts, the corals can be hit with the full intensity you choose for them as soon as the light comes on in the morning.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably shop around but I guess depends how much in a rush you are to get a light. I saw two A80's with a controller for $220 a month or so ago.

Also if they have a lot of use on them... then I would not buy.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you'd like a more accurate date on how old they are, feel free to get the serial numbers from the seller and email them to us - we can verify the age of the fixtures that way.

Overall, used gear, (lights or otherwise) is a mixed bag. You can find some steals, but you can also find a lot of gear that's been abused and poorly maintained.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back