Good little skimmers?!?!

mjkwarch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I currently have an Aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer in my 20 gallon mixed tank. Put it in Sunday after getting water check at LFS and about a 30% wc. I am starting feeding the corals more so I thought it would be good to have it in there and may reduce the # of glass cleanings, idk, can’t hurt right? But it’s spewing bubbles/overflowing like crazy opened up and raised higher than initially recommended. Company said likely cause by either glue used to attach corals, fish food, or supplements?!?! I’m not an expert reeder or even close but I don’t think I’m breaking new ground by feeding my fish (frozen not pellets), attaching my corals with glue from LFS, and supplementing with All for reef. This thing flat out sucks, are there any good micro skimmers out there??

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! Sometimes it takes a week or two for a new skimmer to break in so you might want to give it sometime before making a final decision. Good luck with whatever direction you go!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! A lot of times it takes a bit for the skimmer to actually break in. How long has your tank been running?

Things can influence the skimmer, like glue, epoxy, reef flux, and such.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome.hope all is well.
With my skimmer when new i opened all valves fully to let more water get out the body quicker and took the adjusting nozzle off the air supply and then let my skimmer break in for week or so and once neck of skimmer got little dirty then started working properley and then just slowly adjusted the outlets ( opening them) and just left air intake adjustor off and got bubbles at bottom of neck then when dissolved solids or particles go through skimmer the bubbles get dirty and started rising above neck and into collection cup.
Its all about getting used to our individual skimmers i believe and they all work same principle but slightly different designed.
Mine is a cheap stock aqua one skimmer that i got advised to throw away and buy another but logic told me how to work it and it creates some stinky gunky green/ brown liquid so doing job great so i keep it ^_^

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I currently have an Aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer in my 20 gallon mixed tank. Put it in Sunday after getting water check at LFS and about a 30% wc. I am starting feeding the corals more so I thought it would be good to have it in there and may reduce the # of glass cleanings, idk, can’t hurt right? But it’s spewing bubbles/overflowing like crazy opened up and raised higher than initially recommended. Company said likely cause by either glue used to attach corals, fish food, or supplements?!?! I’m not an expert reeder or even close but I don’t think I’m breaking new ground by feeding my fish (frozen not pellets), attaching my corals with glue from LFS, and supplementing with All for reef. This thing flat out sucks, are there any good micro skimmers out there??
Welcome! Glad you joined

+1 vote let it break in couple weeks. Also, when you clean them you have to go thru another skimmer adjustment period.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). We all love pictures :)

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that with nanotanks, if you are willing to change (clean) the filtersock at least once a day, and do a 10% weekly waterchange, it's quit easy to keep the nitrates at around 10. Without a skimmer (and it's noise and hassle).

Back