Good Morning!

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an uncle down in Lima Peru who is really into orchids. It’s funny because unless you know him you’d never expect it. Orchids are beautiful and require the same sort of care our corals do. If you’re a person who can raise and maintain them…you’re a special hooman bean
When we got married, we spent a few weeks in Costa Rica for a vacation. I had always wanted to go to see the Macaws in the wild. There are over a thousand different types of Orchids that grow wild there. If something stays in one place long enough, chances are pretty good that an Orchid will start growing on it. We were only home about a week when I bought my first one. There is something magical about them.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good Morning! the thought is not mine but i use it. "How do you want to spend your time between now and dead?"
when I think about stuff that is optional, that is my decider. I think i will go hike.
Heard an amazing sermon years ago by Pastor Jentenzen Franklin from Free Chapel. One simple sentence "Make your dash count for something." Powerful when you let that really sink in.

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Friends!
Little cooler today, mid 80’s with low humidity. Good day to get some outdoor chores done.
The area above the barn where the shade deck and elevated walkway is needs to be mowed. Lots of ruts and roots so it’s mostly done with the weed whacker and it’s hard on the lower back. Gonna finish this cup of “Morning Joe” and get an early start.
Hope Y’all have a great day!
Be Safe, Be Healthy, Be Happy & Be Kind!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon All!
I missed this morning completely. It’s in the 90’s here today so I was out mowing before the sun even came up. LED headlights on the tractor make it like daylight. Got a bunch done but then started feeling a little dehydrated so in I came.
Hey! Anybody else here into Orchids? They are another hobby that I used to be into, got out of, and now I’m back in!
Ive had these 3 for about 2 months now and they are opening nicely. They seem to be very happy near this side window. Filtered light most of the say.
A5B69D6A-5A7E-4A5F-8CEA-F7568B9380D3.jpeg 4FBD6349-1F63-4757-B7E4-1D41AF2264DA.jpeg 62DE664B-414E-4999-8D4C-4EB1E8A72961.jpeg 9B627727-0E88-415A-B759-A0ECB418F5CA.jpeg
Yes, I am. Had about 8 for several years. Then I bought a new one last year and it had a fungus that I didn’t realize and they all ended up getting it and dying. Too much going on in the summer so I’m going to start over again this fall after I bleach all my orchid pots.
Also have several amaryllis bulbs too. Which reminds me I need to plant them outside for the summer.

Last edited:

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning
Finishing up laundry that I didn’t get to yesterday, then taking the two bird cages outside to power wash. They get a good power washing once a year, otherwise just wipe them down with a cloth.
Oh, and I guess I’m planting my amaryllis bulbs outside too! ;)

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning
Finishing up laundry that I didn’t get to yesterday, then taking the two bird cages outside to power wash. They get a good power washing once a year, otherwise just wipe them down with a cloth.
Oh, and I guess I’m planting my amaryllis bulbs outside too! ;)

How do you keep amaryllis? I have several in a pot and add a new one at Christmas every year. I just leave them out until the cold kills the tops and then bring the pot in and they usually bloom.

The one year I tried to make them go dormant and keep them bare rooted in a cold place they all rotted on me and I lost many years worth.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning everyone! My 150g tank went to its new home yesterday, but no worries, always planning for the next adventure! Not to mention chasing all of the other aquatic ecosystems that I am caring for and learning from!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From public enemy #1 to model citizen.
IMG_3698-L.jpg

That's a load off.

Mike from TN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up an OttLight for the Orchids to get a little more light later in the day. It’s not a true “grow” lamp but it has multiple color temp settings. I have it set at 5000kelvin degrees. On sale at the Hobby Lobby from $89 down to $49.
I see this turning into another $$$$$$$ hobby! LOL!
1525F82E-18A5-4C21-9F4A-CB44D8D2B76D.jpeg
FF0E79D3-E574-4EEA-86E0-59A9FA36701E.jpeg Now I want a Pitcher plant. Looks like a road trip to the nursery is in order this weekend. ;)

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep amaryllis? I have several in a pot and add a new one at Christmas every year. I just leave them out until the cold kills the tops and then bring the pot in and they usually bloom.

The one year I tried to make them go dormant and keep them bare rooted in a cold place they all rotted on me and I lost many years worth.
Cut off flowers when they fade and keep watered until temperatures outside warm up enough to plant them outside. I put them in plastic pots and plant pot and all. Then in late July I stop watering them and dig them back up ,and either bring them back in or put them on the covered porch so they don’t get any rain on them. Once the leaves die and turn yellow, I cut leaves down to about 2 inches, take out of pot and let sit with bare roots to dry out for a few days. Then put them in brown paper lunch bags and put them in my basement fridge crisper drawer. You have to make sure the bulbs don’t freeze. If you are putting them in a fridge make sure there are NO ONIONS with them because onions will for some reason make them sterile and the amaryllis will not bloom again. Leave in cold storage for 8 to 10 weeks. Then plant them again late November. Do not fertilizer until after they flower. I don’t have anyplace in my house for cold storage where they won’t freeze other than a fridge.

If you don’t let the leaves and roots dry that is probably why they rotted.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Now there's 7 babies running around !!

1623795308790.png 1623795330387.png 1623795346665.png

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 98 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back