Good Morning!

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on man! I'll have to post a pic of the crazy planter we built a few years back. It's raised to waist height and self watering (as self watering as can be lol).

Happy Hump day!

Here's the planter I was talking about. The construction was pretty heavy duty since it holds a ton of dirt plus water, so it took a few of us to put it together. The whole thing is lined with heavy duty plastic sheet making it water tight. In the bottom is a bunch of perforated drain pipe sheathed in a sleeve/sock. The water is delivered via that PVC pipe you see sticking up. The PVC tube was cut at an angle and then stabbed down in to the drain pipe. On the bottom back of the planter there's a whole drilled with an external drain hose that lets the planter keep about 4-6" of water in the bottom (had to do some sealing to keep from leaking with a copious amount of duct tape). The plant roots draw the water from the bottom once they get long enough.

It's held up pretty dang well for the last few years and makes it easy to keep a small veggie/spice garden. Less watering, and less bending over to pick stuff lol.

"watering pipe" is front right
0526201825.jpg

You can see the drain hose on the back bottom portion
0526201825_HDR.jpg

Here's the drain pipe used to create the water holding area (super cheap stuff from the hardware store
drain pipe.JPG

This year I'm just growing 1 tomato plant, 1 poblano pepper plant, 1 bell pepper plant, 1 jalapeno plant, and some parsley. Went way overboard last season lol. The blue containers in the one pic are more planters built on the same concept, but I'm not running them this season.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Hump day!

Here's the planter I was talking about. The construction was pretty heavy duty since it holds a ton of dirt plus water, so it took a few of us to put it together. The whole thing is lined with heavy duty plastic sheet making it water tight. In the bottom is a bunch of perforated drain pipe sheathed in a sleeve/sock. The water is delivered via that PVC pipe you see sticking up. The PVC tube was cut at an angle and then stabbed down in to the drain pipe. On the bottom back of the planter there's a whole drilled with an external drain hose that lets the planter keep about 4-6" of water in the bottom (had to do some sealing to keep from leaking with a copious amount of duct tape). The plant roots draw the water from the bottom once they get long enough.

It's held up pretty dang well for the last few years and makes it easy to keep a small veggie/spice garden. Less watering, and less bending over to pick stuff lol.

0526201825.jpg

0526201825_HDR.jpg

Here's the drain pipe used to create the water holding area (super cheap stuff from the hardware store
drain pipe.JPG

This year I'm just growing 1 tomato plant, 1 poblano pepper plant, 1 bell pepper plant, 1 jalapeno plant, and some parsley. Went way overboard last season lol. The blue containers in the one pic are more planters built on the same concept, but I'm not running them this season.
my low tech version is shopvac bodies where i open the drain cover when there is too much water

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GOOD MORNING.
I sure do love muggy summer days in Michigan with no AC.
It is summer right? We skipped spring?
:cool:
what is spring?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Hump day!

0526201825.jpg

0526201825_HDR.jpg

drain pipe.JPG

That is a very nice deer feeding trough.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning.
proxy-image

Need coffee

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning everyone. Life's little distractions can sometimes be special gifts.

HappyThursday.gif

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late good afternoon! I don't know about y'all, but I'm going to need a serious vacation to some super chill remote location when all this covid-19 crap finally ends. Each day I feel like things are stressing me out a little more than they should..

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late good afternoon! I don't know about y'all, but I'm going to need a serious vacation to some super chill remote location when all this covid-19 crap finally ends. Each day I feel like things are stressing me out a little more than they should..
breathe out; breathe in; repeat as necessary.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel you on this. Increasinging my ABV% does not seem to be completely resolving things. I heard about a book describing something similar to @dbowman5 suggestion. In it, the author suggests that by practise alone, I could hold my breath for 12 minutes and become an ultra deep diver. A healthy distraction perhaps?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 74 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back