Good Morning!

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago in a land far, far away while learning to drive in the frozen unpleasantries of the northeastern US, I was taken to an empty parking lot that was a sheet of ice with a partial covering of snow and was told to do donuts (on purpose!). It has helped me navigate many of life's challenging situations - including gas pumps!
The fun part is that they weren't trying to go to the gas station. The city grooms the roads here instead of clearing them. Our main business in the winter is oversnow recreation, snowmobiling and cross country skiing. The busiest road in town is a mess at the intersections and people try to stop after going too fast and just slowly slide into the pump. You rarely see tire chains here.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago in a land far, far away while learning to drive in the frozen unpleasantries of the northeastern US, I was taken to an empty parking lot that was a sheet of ice with a partial covering of snow and was told to do donuts (on purpose!). It has helped me navigate many of life's challenging situations - including gas pumps!
I grew up driving snow covered backroads. learned to to turn in to the side that was starting to slide. then it all got ruined by front wheel drive vehicles.
winter driving used to be fun.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew up driving snow covered backroads. learned to to turn in to the side that was starting to slide. then it all got ruined by front wheel drive vehicles.
winter driving used to be fun.
The first time I drove on snow was in a 68 Ford Bronco. I slid everywhere and hit more trees than I could count and learned how to set a bunch of mailboxes. Thankfully my front bumper was 1/4" steel that stuck out 18 inches to hold my 40,000lb winch. Snow and ice in Louisiana was rare and I was only 15. I don't miss the 3 on the tree though. That was probably the worst thing other than the brites being under the E brake and trying to operate a clutch, gas, and brake pedal.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first car was a 78 dodge omni hatchback with 4 on the floor, and a few vehicles beyond that all had the switch on the floor and standard. I still found it easier to switch the high beams with it on the floor then the stick on the steering wheel. I often times find myself trying to kick that thing instead of flicking the switch nowadays.

Of course growing up in the city, you rarely turned the high beams on as everything was lit by street lights too.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first car was a 78 dodge omni hatchback with 4 on the floor, and a few vehicles beyond that all had the switch on the floor and standard. I still found it easier to switch the high beams with it on the floor then the stick on the steering wheel. I often times find myself trying to kick that thing instead of flicking the switch nowadays.

Of course growing up in the city, you rarely turned the high beams on as everything was lit by street lights too.
My favorite thing is going from a standard to an automatic and becoming a left foot braker. I had to sit on my foot to stop doing it. Depressing the brake with the same pressure used for a clutch is a harrowing experience in traffic.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite thing is going from a standard to an automatic and becoming a left foot braker. I had to sit on my foot to stop doing it. Depressing the brake with the same pressure used for a clutch is a harrowing experience in traffic.
I know just what you mean!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good morning all..:)grew up 75 north of chicago ,know snow,50 yrs now i dislike snow....moved 400 mi south ,can deal with a lil cold ,....but no snow please:pwe get 1/2" town shuts down:rolleyes:2nd winter here ,hoping for better than last ,and last was great:)

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! this talk of standard vs automatic transmissions reminds me of renting a car in Germany in 2018. I was expecting an automatic but was given a standard instead. they asked if that would be a problem, did i want to wait for an automatic. Shoot, I learned on a standard for just this situation! My five speed was a joy to drive! No problem. We piled into the car, i checked out the controls and buttons, found the emergency brake, adjusted my seat and the heat and off we went... stalling and missing the shift and laughing it off. incidentally sideswiped a pole in an parking garage while backing away from the EURO taking exit gate. took it back to the airport and asked for the replacement to be an automatic. I was puzzled about why i was so out of practice clutching... that Five speed Pontiac Sunbird coupe which was the last standard i had driven was the car i traded when we needed four doors for the firstborn's car seat in 1995.
this is the damage and him proposing a few days later in Paris
overall a successful trip.

IMG_0841.jpeg IMG_1008.jpeg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now see I wish they would go back to the high beam switch on the floor.
my '72 Ford LTD, the bright switch on the floor used to freeze up from the snow coming in on my boots, getting melted in to a sea of water from the heater, and then refreezing when I parked it. sucked for oncoming traffic if I had left the brights on.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All clutches are different. Mine was burnt out when I first bought it which was a good thing to learn on. The entire engine had been rebuilt and it had a new transmission. I finished burning it out and then got a new one. The only thing I to afterwards was rebuild the carb weekly. took me 3 years to get that thing working right.
Every time I get into a standard it is like learning to drive all over again. The clutch is different everytime and it takes a little bit to get used to it. I prefer an automatic now for sure.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my '72 Ford LTD, the bright switch on the floor used to freeze up from the snow coming in on my boots, getting melted in to a sea of water from the heater, and then refreezing when I parked it. sucked for oncoming traffic if I had left the brights on.
My mom had that car when I was growing up. Big comfy backseat and a trunk that could hold groceries and a real spare. I miss real spares.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm done with all the newer ,next car will be something ,i can fix anything :rolleyes: 2012 malibu ,ever change a headlight bulb:oops:have to remove front bumpero_Oo_O64-5 gto wagon,67 gto hardtop ,near future:)"automatic"

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carb is awesome. Better gas mileage is awesome. Not having to have a computer engineer degree to change the oil is priceless.
i'm done with all the newer ,next car will be something ,i can fix anything :rolleyes: 2012 malibu ,ever change a headlight bulb:oops:have to remove front bumpero_Oo_O64-5 gto wagon,67 gto hardtop ,near future:)"automatic"

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone! I hope you all are doing well. I know i've been scarce on here and I sincerely apologize. I've been so busy with work and home lately that I haven't been on here as much as i'd like to. Went deer hunting this weekend and bagged my first good size buck, 10 pointer and a large doe. I've gotten two bucks before but one was a nub, and the other was a small 4 pointer, so this is my first big buck and i'm excited :)
I hope all the other hunters on here had a good harvest, hope to hear from ya'll!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back