Good News for my Fromia Star

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the Fromia? I haven't heard of them using their arms to capture food in the water column but I certainly don't know everything!
And as for Asterina stars, there are easily a dozen or more species that vary in diet
Actually my bad, I though your post was Leica starfish...I apologize... I had a sand sifter also but only lasted maybe 8 months.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That works to an extent since biofilm is composed of many different organisms but algae isn't something they've been found to go for in previous studies
Leicas love dirty glass. They come off the rocks to scoot around all over dirty tank glass.

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the Fromia? I haven't heard of them using their arms to capture food in the water column but I certainly don't know everything!
And as for Asterina stars, there are easily a dozen or more species that vary in diet
I'll try to get a pic, he usually does ithat while on the glass but my ******* flame angel(recently added) likes to give him a quick peck which causes him to tumble back down.

I used to try to spot feed reefroid when I noticed him doing that, No idea if it does anything.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, somewhat similar to the leica species.
I think it's so ironic right now that generally there will be several people saying how they're impossible to keep and they'll inevitably starve, yet here are several people pretty hyped about how much success were having!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get a pic, he usually does ithat while on the glass but my ******* flame angel(recently added) likes to give him a quick peck which causes him to tumble back down.

I used to try to spot feed reefroid when I noticed him doing that, No idea if it does anything.
Personally I doubt he'd go for Reef Roids unless it was somehow mixed with something native to him but you can always try

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's so ironic right now that generally there will be several people saying how they're impossible to keep and they'll inevitably starve, yet here are several people pretty hyped about how much success were having!
I would say early on when my tank was full of GHA the starfish seemed fatter now at 14 months with a pretty established tank and little to no algae, they have thinned up. This is why I let the glass get dirty for them but they cover every inch of the tank and coral bases searching for food so there must be something in there for them. I dose phytoplankton daily to and wonder if they filter catch that also

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say early on when my tank was full of GHA the starfish seemed fatter now at 14 months with a pretty established tank and little to no algae, they have thinned up. This is why I let the glass get dirty for them but they cover every inch of the tank and coral bases searching for food so there must be something in there for them. I dose phytoplankton daily to and wonder if they filter catch that also
With the GHA, they exude nutrients which microbes utilize and that was most likely the reason for him hunting there

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29 I've got mine in a 10 gallon invert/coral only tank. Actually I just bought 2 small clowns today because I want to boost my nitrates and phosphates slightly.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29 I've got mine in a 10 gallon invert/coral only tank. Actually I just bought 2 small clowns today because I want to boost my nitrates and phosphates slightly.
I've had great success with inverts in my tank. Not sure why but I have huge snails now with elaborate shell patterns. I rarely see a dead one. My cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp are almost 5 inches now with huge antenna. 3 tuxedo urchins fat and happy. But I did have 2 emerald crabs dissappear after 4 months not sure why though but my GHA was all gone by then.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had great success with inverts in my tank. Not sure why but I have huge snails now with elaborate shell patterns. I rarely see a dead one. My cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp are almost 5 inches now with huge antenna. 3 tuxedo urchins fat and happy. But I did have 2 emerald crabs dissappear after 4 months not sure why though but my GHA was all gone by then.
I've had several people shocked I'd raise a Fromia in a 10 gallon...

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several people shocked I'd raise a Fromia in a 10 gallon...
I'm not familiar enough to render an opinion but the general consensus on starfish is they need a large well established tank to be healthy. I'm probably on the small side. Most success long term seems to come from large tanks.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar enough to render an opinion but the general consensus on starfish is they need a large well established tank to be healthy. I'm probably on the small side. Most success long term seems to come from large tanks.
I know that now... however, It was started with 100% live rock from the ocean and I'm definitely aiding his natural diet now that I've done all that research. A larger tank is preferred though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back