Good News for my Fromia Star

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my starfish obsession but after thinking it over, I'm really doubting the idea that these and many other star species die exclusively from starvation as is commonly claimed (although I have a feeling many hobbyists think they can eat basically anything which is incorrect for most species). Research shows that some of the thousands of starfish species do depend on biofilm with the extent of reliance depending completely upon the species in question. Btw, it turns out not all Linckia species eat exclusively biofilm contrary to common belief. I've actually discovered now what it is my Fromia indica feeds on in the wild and I plan to do my best to meet his needs which is certainly not an impossible task. If you do your research and are dedicated to caring for a star such as mine it is in fact possible to keep them without them starving to death.

With that said, please don't go out and buy any starfish without any knowledge of it's husbandry requirements. There's a LOT more to them than meets the eye.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't give them tequila

Attachments

• 20211001_203049.jpg
    20211001_203049.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the same as red bull and vodka right?
I mean Red Bull has a ton of ingredients in it so no telling which chemical in it did him in...unless you poured too much vodka too close to him I'd guess it was something in the Red Bull but they're actually pretty sensitive creatures in general...I have a feeling other factors kill a lot of them in tanks before starvation...oh and yeah, the vodka is how some people carbon dose if you weren't 100% sure...I like other ways personally

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shops should really be educating customers a lot more on animals like these if they plan to sell one to somebody

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean Red Bull has a ton of ingredients in it so no telling which chemical in it did him in...unless you poured too much vodka too close to him I'd guess it was something in the Red Bull but they're actually pretty sensitive creatures in general...I have a feeling other factors kill a lot of them in tanks before starvation...oh and yeah, the vodka is how some people carbon dose if you weren't 100% sure...I like other ways personally
Turns out he was just hung over and sleeping it off

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a small fromia millepora for about 6 months now, it moves about everyday without skipping a beat. It's doing a lot better than I expected.

I've noticed it sometimes like to throw its arm up into the water as if it is trying to grab particles out of the water. Or maybe some of the biofilm it enjoys somehow made it into my tank.

BTW does anyone what do asterina starfish eats? I find it odd how some starfish not a single other type starfish share its diet apparently.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a small fromia millepora for about 6 months now, it moves about everyday without skipping a beat. It's doing a lot better than I expected.

I've noticed it sometimes like to throw its arm up into the water as if it is trying to grab particles out of the water. Or maybe some of the biofilm it enjoys somehow made it into my tank.

BTW does anyone what do asterina starfish eats? I find it odd how some starfish not a single other type starfish share its diet apparently.
Can you post a pic of the Fromia? I haven't heard of them using their arms to capture food in the water column but I certainly don't know everything!
And as for Asterina stars, there are easily a dozen or more species that vary in diet

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Asterinas we get in our tanks (actually Aquilonastra spp.) eat diatoms, green algae, biofilms, detritus, etc. - as mentioned, the diet varies from species to species.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaving my glass dirty for them today so they can eat some film algae.
That works to an extent since biofilm is composed of many different organisms but algae isn't something they've been found to go for in previous studies

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back