Considering Doing a Starfish Nutritional Study

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These is the species of starfish I plan to use for the experiment. They're relatively small, Fromia stars (pretty sure Fromia indica) which I have some experience with, and are known natural biofilm consumers that will also readily eat or try to eat other foods.

Like I said, 99% sure they're Fromia indica stars but if anyone knows otherwise and has supporting evidence that they're a different species please feel free to comment.
Screenshot_2022-07-29-21-59-38-079_com.facebook.orca.jpg
Hard to say for sure, but I would actually guess Fromia pacifica. F. indica typically has dark pointed tips, not light pointed, and they also typically display a heavier "veining" or "marbling" pattern across the body (it looks kind of like a snakeskin or tiger-striping).

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say for sure, but I would actually guess Fromia pacifica. F. indica typically has dark pointed tips, not light pointed, and they also typically display a heavier "veining" or "marbling" pattern across the body (it looks kind of like a snakeskin or tiger-striping).
That's what I was thinking as well! The star I currently have is definitely Fromia indica which looks a little different (especially with the black tips on the arms)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking as well! The star I currently have is definitely Fromia indica which looks a little different (especially with the black tips on the arms)
Yeah, it looks like quite a few stores carry these guys in the U.S., but they just list them Red Fromia Stars - Fromia sp.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it looks like quite a few stores carry these guys in the U.S., but they just list them Red Fromia Stars - Fromia sp.
The Linckia multiforma stars are a good bit cheaper but since I have more experience with Fromia I should probably stick with that genus

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-23-03-46-42-098_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-23-03-46-42-098_com.facebook.katana.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 25

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Linckia multiforma stars are a good bit cheaper but since I have more experience with Fromia I should probably stick with that genus
Probably a good choice. On a side note, I'm not sure those are actually Linckia multifora stars, as I've never seen one with that style of patterning and coloration, but they're beautiful stars.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response! I've also gotten in contact by email with a starfish expert who's written several books on the biology of starfish and I'll run the design by him and see if he has anything to add
If you don’t mind, may I ask his or her name is who wrote the books on starfish because those sound like awesome books and I’d like to look more into them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back