Considering Doing a Starfish Nutritional Study

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A shop near me just got in a bunch of live rock right from the ocean...looks like pretty high quality stuff for starfish feeding...click the link to check it out

Live rock for sale
That right there is some gorgeous rock. I think it was #69 with all of the nems on it. I want me a piece of thart lol.

Also, with it appearing to be smaller rock, I think you could set something up to make sure that the rock weight and surface area for all of it matches among the tanks.

I would just suggest removing any corals/nems off the rocks to take them out of being a variable in the trial.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't be too expensive...$10-$12 per Fromia and already have the tanks. The only expenses would be the rock and sand for the holding tank along with one or two supplements to use as flocculants which would be optional. Where do you see too many variables? I thought me and @ISpeakForTheSeas worked it out to be pretty simple.
I agree. I do not think there are than many variables.

Get rock, figure out surface area and weight, try to make the rock equal among the tanks, log the results. There will always be variables when it comes to things like this, but as long as everything is documented, and I mean everything from weight to depth of sand, this eliminates a lot of things and will allow others to perform the same set of testing if they want to.

It will also give some insight into what it actually takes to have the critters thrive, since most people buy these stars and they end up dying.

In short, the more info we have is always better.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It wouldn't be too expensive...$10-$12 per Fromia and already have the tanks. The only expenses would be the rock and sand for the holding tank along with one or two supplements to use as flocculants which would be optional. Where do you see too many variables? I thought me and @ISpeakForTheSeas worked it out to be pretty simple.
Trying mimic the exact same environments is my point there’s so many variables you just can’t control mainly in water quality. And remember you’d have to keep them then they are living things. And as we always talk about starfish needing established tanks. And I forget you aren’t in the U.S. here that would be really expensive. And using the same tank doesn’t seem big enough/you’d have to divide it. But I think maybe you have a different idea than me.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying mimic the exact same environments is my point there’s so many variables you just can’t control mainly in water quality. And remember you’d have to keep them then they are living things. And as we always talk about starfish needing established tanks. And I forget you aren’t in the U.S. here that would be really expensive. And using the same tank doesn’t seem big enough/you’d have to divide it. But I think maybe you have a different idea then me.
The water quality is simple to maintain with regular testing and is also part of what I think @livinlifeinBKK ids also trying to use as a gauge for growth.

Look at it like this. Clean low nutrient water does not grow algae as well as water that is a little dirty. So, if the water is a little dirty, algae grows better, the star has an ample supply of food and grows more. You can then look at a clean tank and see that lack of algae slows the stars growth, as not as much food.

I know the above is way more simple than what will actually take place, but it is just used as a reference to show things to consider when you are doing trials like this.

In the end, nothing is perfect, but a ton of usable data can be gathered from something like this.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That right there is some gorgeous rock. I think it was #69 with all of the nems on it. I want me a piece of thart lol.

Also, with it appearing to be smaller rock, I think you could set something up to make sure that the rock weight and surface area for all of it matches among the tanks.

I would just suggest removing any corals/nems off the rocks to take them out of being a variable in the trial.
It certainly does look like the perfect rock for growing Biofilm for the stars so I might go pick up several pieces tomorrow. I'm still preparing the tanks before getting the stars so I'll just put the rock in one tank temporarily to save it for a short time before they sell out of it because it isn't all that often that they get rock of that quality in stock. (Might add a piece or two to my DT for my star in there as well!) And yeah, I'd prefer not to have any nems as variables if possible

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying mimic the exact same environments is my point there’s so many variables you just can’t control mainly in water quality. And remember you’d have to keep them then they are living things. And as we always talk about starfish needing established tanks. And I forget you aren’t in the U.S. here that would be really expensive. And using the same tank doesn’t seem big enough/you’d have to divide it. But I think maybe you have a different idea than me.
It's physically impossible to precisely recreate the exact same environment that they're native to but I can provide adequate conditions and water quality is something I can definitely keep under control

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's physically impossible to precisely recreate the exact same environment that they're native to but I can provide adequate conditions and water quality is something I can definitely keep under control
No I mean all the same tanks not compared to the ocean.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contents of the tanks will be kept the same and as constant as possible. You have to remember that even professional experiments have unavoidable slight variations in conditions but I don't see how these particular slight variations would affect the results significantly. If you have any ideas though I'm more than happy to hear them and take them into consideration.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true there will be some variation between tanks, but the feeds don't need to be grown out in the same conditions as they are different feeds (though the aim would likely be to give them all roughly the same conditions) and the stars will all be kept in the same tank, so any variation that effects one should effect the rest in the same way. Again, the study won't be perfect, but it should be good enough. Variation between this tank and any replication study tank(s) is a valid concern, though, if live rock is used in the starfish holding tank, as that could influence pretty heavily certain microbiome conditions of the tank. However, if they were to use dry rock and bottle-bac for the starfish holding tank it would minimize potential differences between livinlifeinBKK's tank and any future tanks attempting the experiment, as they would, in theory, start with the same bacteria and other microbes (for the most part) in the tank.

Other than that, from my understanding, the statement that stars (or other creatures) need established tanks comes from a few different things, namely:
1 ) They need very/relatively stable parameters - by the time a tank is "established" the aquarist running it should have a good enough handle on the running of the tank to keep things stable. If the aquarist is expert enough, this can be skipped altogether as long as the tank is cycled (Brandon429 has some great threads/posts on great threads about insta-cycling tanks - one of the most impressive [and most pertinent to the conversation at hand] I've seen glancing through is a tank started using Bio-Spira and dry rock where fish, coral, and an anemone - usually only recommended for established tanks running for at least 6 months - were added literally the same day as the bottle-bac and have been running without issue since*).

2 ) They need sufficient spread of microbes (biofilm) or other microfauna in the aquarium, and this takes time to spread sufficiently to feed the stars for a reasonable length of time. This is connected to why stars are not recommended in smaller tanks - they have less room for biofilm growth, and thus have less available food for the stars to graze on. For other species, this time may be needed for pod populations to establish.

3 ) (This one will probably be considered controversial, that's not my goal here, so I apologize if it comes across as such) The waiting period enforced while an aquarist is holding off for a tank to become established is - to my knowledge and partially based off the success of tanks such as the one discussed above - largely a suggestion to help newer aquarists wait and get a handle on how to manage a tank effectively before trying some of the more delicate species in the hobby. Essentially, when they wait 6-12 months (or however long) before adding a specimen to their tank, they use that time to practice, and they learn how to care for the tank and control the water quality in it more proficiently. By the time that period has ended, most new aquarists will likely have picked up enough skill in reef-keeping to be able to keep at least some of the more delicate species that have these recommended establishment times.

*The thread referenced above:

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be an interesting experiment just probably way too expensive and has way to many variables to be super accurate just my thoughts.
Sample size also sounds a little small to make results completely meaningful but does sound like a fun experiment.

Go for it!
Curious what theories you come up with about Fromia...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true there will be some variation between tanks, but the feeds don't need to be grown out in the same conditions as they are different feeds (though the aim would likely be to give them all roughly the same conditions) and the stars will all be kept in the same tank, so any variation that effects one should effect the rest in the same way. Again, the study won't be perfect, but it should be good enough. Variation between this tank and any replication study tank(s) is a valid concern, though, if live rock is used in the starfish holding tank, as that could influence pretty heavily certain microbiome conditions of the tank. However, if they were to use dry rock and bottle-bac for the starfish holding tank it would minimize potential differences between livinlifeinBKK's tank and any future tanks attempting the experiment, as they would, in theory, start with the same bacteria and other microbes (for the most part) in the tank.

Other than that, from my understanding, the statement that stars (or other creatures) need established tanks comes from a few different things, namely:
1 ) They need very/relatively stable parameters - by the time a tank is "established" the aquarist running it should have a good enough handle on the running of the tank to keep things stable. If the aquarist is expert enough, this can be skipped altogether as long as the tank is cycled (Brandon429 has some great threads/posts on great threads about insta-cycling tanks - one of the most impressive [and most pertinent to the conversation at hand] I've seen glancing through is a tank started using Bio-Spira and dry rock where fish, coral, and an anemone - usually only recommended for established tanks running for at least 6 months - were added literally the same day as the bottle-bac and have been running without issue since*).

2 ) They need sufficient spread of microbes (biofilm) or other microfauna in the aquarium, and this takes time to spread sufficiently to feed the stars for a reasonable length of time. This is connected to why stars are not recommended in smaller tanks - they have less room for biofilm growth, and thus have less available food for the stars to graze on. For other species, this time may be needed for pod populations to establish.

3 ) (This one will probably be considered controversial, that's not my goal here, so I apologize if it comes across as such) The waiting period enforced while an aquarist is holding off for a tank to become established is - to my knowledge and partially based off the success of tanks such as the one discussed above - largely a suggestion to help newer aquarists wait and get a handle on how to manage a tank effectively before trying some of the more delicate species in the hobby. Essentially, when they wait 6-12 months (or however long) before adding a specimen to their tank, they use that time to practice, and they learn how to care for the tank and control the water quality in it more proficiently. By the time that period has ended, most new aquarists will likely have picked up enough skill in reef-keeping to be able to keep at least some of the more delicate species that have these recommended establishment times.

*The thread referenced above:
I spoke to one of my professors at my University today and he said that something we're going to be doing soon is collecting samples of substrate from a local reef and analyzing them which is something I'm really excited about because it could shed light upon the present microorganisms and other microfauna present on a natural reef habitat

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some of the questions the starfish expert posed. Keep in mind I hadn't updated him on the most current design of the experiment but I thought you guys might like to see his questions anyway. The text at the bottom was part of my email. His response questions at the top.

Attachments

• IMG_20220722_070217.jpg
    IMG_20220722_070217.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent back a link to the thread so he can read our most current experimental design and critique it. If there's anyone who knows all there is to know about starfish biology it's him!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm particularly looking forward to collecting substrates samples from the reef and analyzing them! I think much can be learned from this!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice, you can weigh yourself down with possibilities and variations. Do your initial experiment, note the problems and or issues. Refine. Start again. Then refine and start again. The goal of your experiment is, I assume, to help create an environment that a sea star can thrive. If that environment is manmade one ie; a home reef tank, limit your variables to that environment and refine from there. Don’t get discouraged if your initial idea does not get the results you anticipated, but you have to make that first step to be successful.
Good Luck

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking things over today and it dawned on me that it might work better to use the 20 gallon tank for placing the live ocean rock in to grow the biofilm on the other rocks and keep the stars in smaller tanks (1 to a tank). That way the stars wouldn't have to be removed and transferred for feeding and it would solve the problem of the stars getting uneven nutrition in the holding tank. I think to ensure that the stars are getting an even amount of biofilm, the rocks should be close in weight. (That would answer the question asked by the expert regarding making sure they have access to the same amount of food.) Does it matter if the small tanks with the stars are slightly different sizes though? I don't think it does since the food will be transferred to the tanks (5 gallon vs 8 gallon or something like that). Also, since part of the purpose of the experiment is to enable us to better keep them in home aquariums, should I also give equal rations of a supplemental food source such as oysters or maybe Masstick to each star? I find it hard to believe that the biofilm will generate quickly enough to avoid starvation (although they are known to last months in small inadequate tanks so maybe that's not as much of an issue.) After all, progress will be tracked by weight.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back