Considering Doing a Starfish Nutritional Study

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently gathering all the materials I need for the experiment so it's a long road ahead but one I'm excited about! I feel the close observations I've made over the previous 6 months with the star I already have has been a start to the learning experience itself...who would've known a Fromia would be attracted to and eat oysters and Masstick before for one thing? I look forward to making future discoveries!
Onward!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas how I might be able to use the 20 gallon for my starfish study that I plan to stock with a good bit of that live ocean rock other than use it to culture biofilm? I don't have any plans for it atm and don't think I'm gonna stock it with coral since I'm still slowly stocking my other tank with coral.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering working with these small Linckias since they're like half the price but I don't see how there would be any benefit to that apart from the price which here Fromias really aren't very expensive either...maybe I'll get one just to compare their characteristics and eating habits with Fromias since they're closely linked by diet...that's a big maybe though unless someone else for sees any benefit that could be derived from comparing one of these Linckias with the Fromias I'm going to be conducting my study with (apart from them being beautiful stars) Screenshot_2022-07-23-03-46-42-098_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other ideas how I might be able to use the 20 gallon for my starfish study that I plan to stock with a good bit of that live ocean rock other than use it to culture biofilm? I don't have any plans for it atm and don't think I'm gonna stock it with coral since I'm still slowly stocking my other tank with coral.
No flashes of inspiration at the moment.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so gathering materials I need the live rock and other food sources, 3 small tanks and dry sand to hold each of the 3 stars, a sensitive scale, 3 small HOB filters with sponge pieces in the back chamber for filtration and water movement...what else am I missing that is essential?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so gathering materials I need the live rock and other food sources, 3 small tanks and dry sand to hold each of the 3 stars, a sensitive scale, 3 small HOB filters with sponge pieces in the back chamber for filtration and water movement...what else am I missing that is essential?
Possibly heaters, or, if more water movement/oxygenation is needed, possibly bubblers too? Those are all I can think of.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly heaters, or, if more water movement/oxygenation is needed, possibly bubblers too? Those are all I can think of.
Heaters won't be needed as it stays pretty hot all year here (I actually need a chiller for my nano) and maybe airstones would be a good idea like you mentioned. My QT tank that I was going to convert is about 5 gallons whereas the small tanks I was gonna get for the study are a little smaller to save room in my apartment...is it imperative that all 3 tanks be exactly the same size or should a slight size difference not really matter since food will be added manually and each star given the same amount of time to eat the food given before the food is removed?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters won't be needed as it stays pretty hot all year here (I actually need a chiller for my nano) and maybe airstones would be a good idea like you mentioned. My QT tank that I was going to convert is about 5 gallons whereas the small tanks I was gonna get for the study are a little smaller to save room in my apartment...is it imperative that all 3 tanks be exactly the same size or should a slight size difference not really matter since food will be added manually and each star given the same amount of time to eat the food given before the food is removed?
From a scientific perspective, you always want things to be as close to equal as humanly possible, as the answer to your question is almost always "it might matter." That said, I would guess the impact would be minimal, and for an informal experiment like this I wouldn't worry too much about it - but there is always the chance that it could impact the results of the study and prove to be a confounding variable. You just never know.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this not be absolutely perfect for this study since the tanks are divided into 3 equal compartments that look like a good size for this type of experiment?! They're used so they're selling each for about $6! Screenshot_2022-07-24-16-56-17-430_com.facebook.katana.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also bought myself several pieces of that beautiful live rock straight from the Gulf of Thailand today...the tank is full of freshly mixed saltwater so for the bacteria I threw some pellets in... should I also dose a little Phyto while I'm still busy gathering supplies to help preserve the biodiversity? I guess I can also do a water change on my 10 gallon nano and add the used water to the tank holding the new live rock for the nitrates and phosphates needed by all the microfauna and bacteria IMG_20220724_191419.jpg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this not be absolutely perfect for this study since the tanks are divided into 3 equal compartments that look like a good size for this type of experiment?! They're used so they're selling each for about $6! Screenshot_2022-07-24-16-56-17-430_com.facebook.katana.jpg
Those look pretty much ideal to me.

I probably would dose some phyto - also, I love all the little nems on that live rock

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look pretty much ideal to me.

I probably would dose some phyto - also, I love all the little nems on that live rock
I think I'll go with one star for each of the compartments (3 total) for the first run of the study and then after results are determined I can trade those 3 stars for 3 new stars of the same species and repeat the experiment to see if results are consistent. I would buy more than one of those tanks and run the study with more stars at once but I don't have the room in my small apartment.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, even though I'm going with the more simple experiment (comparing growth and weight of a star being fed biofilm cultured from natural ocean rock, a star being fed oysters, a star being fed Masstick, a possibly one more star being fed something else like biofilm grown with the aid of a flocculant) to begin with, it still has merit, will produce results we can learn something from, and is plenty worthwhile to conduct, right? I ask this because I posted on Humblefish's page the same day I posted here and people over there didn't seem like they thought it's as worthwhile as people here seem to think it is. Its going to require plenty of my time, planning, maintenance, effort, and a little money which I'm willing to put into this as long as it's something worthwhile to get into. I know worthwhile is subjective but can I get some of you guys' opinions here regarding how much we can learn from this experiment before I begin? I know it's just a start but I'm not aware of anyone else trying anything like this and am motivated to learn more about these fascinating creatures. @ISpeakForTheSeas @Timfish @Dan_P and any others, this is something I should go full throttle with, right? Sorry, just got cold feet from the other forum.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, even though I'm going with the more simple experiment (comparing growth and weight of a star being fed biofilm cultured from natural ocean rock, a star being fed oysters, a star being fed Masstick, a possibly one more star being fed something else like biofilm grown with the aid of a flocculant) to begin with, it still has merit, will produce results we can learn something from, and is plenty worthwhile to conduct, right? I ask this because I posted on Humblefish's page the same day I posted here and people over there didn't seem like they thought it's as worthwhile as people here seem to think it is. Its going to require plenty of my time, planning, maintenance, effort, and a little money which I'm willing to put into this as long as it's something worthwhile to get into. I know worthwhile is subjective but can I get some of you guys' opinions here regarding how much we can learn from this experiment before I begin? I know it's just a start but I'm not aware of anyone else trying anything like this and am motivated to learn more about these fascinating creatures. @ISpeakForTheSeas @Timfish @Dan_P and any others, this is something I should go full throttle with, right? Sorry, just got cold feet from the other forum.
Sorry, took me awhile, but I just responded to your DM. Hope it helps.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the criticism from the other site?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the criticism from the other site?
Nothing major, just that it seems clear to them that the biofilm is the only way to sustain them and running trials with other foods is just kinda repeating what has already failed. I just have a hard time believing that absolutely no nutrition is being derived from these other foods that's are readily eaten by my star...I seem to be alone in that thought though so at least for now, instead of assuming I'm right and the majority is wrong about that, I'm going to assume the majority is correct and I've got the wrong idea which is generally most sensible...btw, I sent you a message about one of your suggestions

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your efforts to help identify what Fromia spp starfish feed on is definitely worthwhile. Starting off with simpler experiements might be better anyway as the information collected likely will help design more complicated experiments. If you document your work well and have a researcher giving you some input and reviewing your setup and methods it seems to me whatever the results are in a year or two your data will be useful. But like other efforts to figure nature this is likely to be a tedious process that may even take decades to definitevly say what needs to be done to keep and breed these starfish.

Go for it! Thumps up emojii 50.png

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, your efforts to help identify what Fromia spp starfish feed on is definitely worthwhile. Starting off with simpler experiements might be better anyway as the information collected likely will help design more complicated experiments. If you document your work well and have a researcher giving you some input and reviewing your setup and methods it seems to me whatever the results are in a year or two your data will be useful. But like other efforts to figure nature this is likely to be a tedious process that may even take decades to definitevly say what needs to be done to keep and breed these starfish.

Go for it! Thumps up emojii 50.png
I've revised some of the experimental design and methods to more of a pilot study I'm confident I can fully carry out and will certainly be sure to document all information, procedures, and observations. I do have a couple well seasoned research professors actually who are more than willing to give me advice, input, and help me in whatever way they can.
Additionally, peripheral to the ultimate objective of making a contribution to the discovery of Fromia spp natural food source, I feel that carrying out a study like this (which will be well documented) might also look good as a sidenote on a resume in my future after I earn my degree and am looking for a job in a likely related field as it shows passion, involvement, and a high level of dedication required to tediously carry out a well documented experiment like I have planned.
You said go for it...IM GOIN FOR IT!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These is the species of starfish I plan to use for the experiment. They're relatively small, Fromia stars (pretty sure Fromia indica) which I have some experience with, and are known natural biofilm consumers that will also readily eat or try to eat other foods.

Like I said, 99% sure they're Fromia indica stars but if anyone knows otherwise and has supporting evidence that they're a different species please feel free to comment.
Screenshot_2022-07-29-21-59-38-079_com.facebook.orca.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back