Good Return Pump Suggestions please.

buckroe07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a problem at all. Truthfully, I don't know when the last time I looked at how many gallons per hr of water my skimmer pumped through the skimmer. I just look at what the skimmer is rated for for a heavily stocked tank. My skimmer says it can handle up to 150 gallons and my total water volume is approximately 80 gallons. It really depends on the amount of bubbles produced, the diameter of the neck going up the collection cup, turbulence of bubbles going up, contact with bubbles as far as how high they travel before they burst...there is thread here that compared a bunch of skimmers. I'll try and find...

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect he's talking about the pumps rating, not the actual flow rate through the skimmer. The skimmer pump is definitely not operating at only zero or 1 feet of head pressure.

If you want to estimate that actual flow rate, then find out what is the K value (aka Reynolds number I think) of the Mazzei venturi injector they use? 3/4" tubing plus that injector will provide considerable friction loss.

And for what it's worth, on all of these old style high flow skimmers, including ETSS and AquaC, oversizing the pump was generally a good idea for max performance.

For example, I use a Mag 7 on my tiny little AquaC EV-90 when it's in service. :cool:

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point in time, AC pumps were new, Sicce pumps were new to the market and unproven, people who say that DC pumps are too new or unproven weren't there and weren't the people who took a chance to run the new pumps when they came out. Luckily, other people did take the chance and those pumps are still around.
Sicce pumps were in the market long before you heard of Sicce. The were an OEM company who made pumps for other companies. Lifeguard Aquatics Quiet One line were Sicce built pumps (not anymore now made in China), they also have a relationship with Tunze. Needless to say they were a proven company long before we bought them under their own name.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the primary difference between these AC motors is whether the pump motor uses neodymium magnets vs ferrous magnets? ...or what? ;) (@Brew12?)
I hope Brew chimes in , but in the meantime I will give my two cents.
Yes! One of the differences is the type of magnet. One is stronger than the other giving better efficiency. Also another reason is the gap between the stator and the rotor. The tighter the gap the greater the efficiency.But there is a cost to that, it can build up calcification faster and require more cleanings.Then there is the type of motor design. Most motors are canned style motors.
Reeflow are direct drive
And motors like the Iwaki are magnetically coupled motor.The type of motor plays a factor as well. That being said if you create a motor of equals the AC unit should be more efficient do to the fact of no losses through the power supply or conversion from high voltage to low voltage.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a problem at all. Truthfully, I don't know when the last time I looked at how many gallons per hr of water my skimmer pumped through the skimmer. I just look at what the skimmer is rated for for a heavily stocked tank. My skimmer says it can handle up to 150 gallons and my total water volume is approximately 80 gallons. It really depends on the amount of bubbles produced, the diameter of the neck going up the collection cup, turbulence of bubbles going up, contact with bubbles as far as how high they travel before they burst...there is thread here that compared a bunch of skimmers. I'll try and find...

I suspect he's talking about the pumps rating, not the actual flow rate through the skimmer. The skimmer pump is definitely not operating at only zero or 1 feet of head pressure.

If you want to estimate that actual flow rate, then find out what is the K value (aka Reynolds number I think) of the Mazzei venturi injector they use? 3/4" tubing plus that injector will provide considerable friction loss.

And for what it's worth, on all of these old style high flow skimmers, including ETSS and AquaC, oversizing the pump was generally a good idea for max performance.

For example, I use a Mag 7 on my tiny little AquaC EV-90 when it's in service. :cool:

Thanks for the info., guys!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the primary difference between these AC motors is whether the pump motor uses neodymium magnets vs ferrous magnets? ...or what? ;) (@Brew12?)
Sorry guys, been busy lately. Oh, and I sleep!

I can't say for sure with these specific motors but I may try to dig into it in the future.

The strength of the magnet does play a very significant but indirect part of efficiency. To make an AC motor operate as efficiently as possible you need to operate as close to magnetic saturation as possible. A stronger magnet on the rotor means you can use fewer turns of thicker copper wire in the stator which reduces I2R losses. It also means you can generate more torque which will give you more efficient design options for the impeller. The spacing between the rotor and stator is important in efficiency also as is the quality of the core steel used in the motor windings.

A very well designed and constructed motor with weaker magnets will be more efficient than a poorly designed and built motor with strong magnets. Sorry to give such a non-answer.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back