Good Sponge Bad Sponge

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have notice a few of these pink sponge type things popping up.

1) Are they sponges?
2) Are they good or bad?
3) Should they be removed?

Thanks to all you experts!

8EA1A301-FA29-45A9-BE3A-7ACA82D21659.jpeg 19EB40FB-5B5A-4C19-9F7F-3ED71C14E14D.jpeg

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks like a sponge.

As to whether they are harmful, depends on how fast they are spreading and how unwilling you are to trim them later/how much you don't like their look on that rock.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

1) Are they sponges?
2) Are they good or bad?

8EA1A301-FA29-45A9-BE3A-7ACA82D21659.jpeg 19EB40FB-5B5A-4C19-9F7F-3ED71C14E14D.jpeg
Sponge. I like them. Contribute to biodiversity. And filter feeders.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks like a sponge.

As to whether they are harmful, depends on how fast they are spreading and how unwilling you are to trim them later/how much you don't like their look on that rock.
The spread is not very fast. And they are not very large about 2cm at most. That said. It is a new rock piece from a friends tank, which held an anemone. Perhaps I should keep my eye on the growth rate further. What threats should I consider with regards to the rate of growth or species?
Sponge. I like them. Contribute to biodiversity. And filter feeders.
I was hoping Tom get this answer! As I feel the same. But not having had a sponge show up in the aquarium, I a man unsure of species and therefore concerned if it’s friend or foe.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spread is not very fast. And they are not very large about 2cm at most. That said. It is a new rock piece from a friends tank, which held an anemone. Perhaps I should keep my eye on the growth rate further. What threats should I consider with regards to the rate of growth or species?

I was hoping Tom get this answer! As I feel the same. But not having had a sponge show up in the aquarium, I a man unsure of species and therefore concerned if it’s friend or foe.
If you describe it as "not very fast", then it's not an issue.
Maybe if it gets to ten times it's size in months or years or ever, you might rip it off to put something else on that place, otherwise keep it. It's beautiful.

OP
OP
BTimms

BTimms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you describe it as "not very fast", then it's not an issue.
Maybe if it gets to ten times it's size in months or years or ever, you might rip it off to put something else on that place, otherwise keep it. It's beautiful.
Wonderful, great advice!
Thank you!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are excellent filter feeders and I have always encouraged them on live rock. With over 10,000 species identified, there are many different types of sponges. In the last few years, ornamental sponges have become available: yellow ball, orange elephant ear, red tree, orange tree

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 118

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A type of pink ball sponge . They are natural suspension feeders, filtering food from the water. Phytoplankton foods bring out lot's of color. They are very helpful in filtering aquarium water. They can withstand a wide temperature variation and they last indefinitely in the marine aquarium. Like other Sponges, the Ball Sponge feeds on bacteria and detritus that it filters from the moving water. This is why water movement is crucial to their survival. Sponges can usually tolerate changes in water temperature with no ill effect, but they may be sensitive to drastic changes in salinity.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are excellent filter feeders and I have always encouraged them on live rock. With over 10,000 species identified, there are many different types of sponges. In the last few years, ornamental sponges have become available: yellow ball, orange elephant ear, red tree, orange tree
Are these pics of your tank? I'm looking at having a 72 gallon bow display refugium with macro algae, sponges, and coral.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not well versed in types of sponges but from my experience they are all great to have as filter feeders. Also I think only real issue would come down to growth and fight for space with other coral. I would say keep it till you have to remove or trim down.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these pics of your tank? I'm looking at having a 72 gallon bow display refugium with macro algae, sponges, and coral.

Yes, pictures are of my 75G tank which is 25 years old.. I just did start cycling a 30G. macro & invertebrate tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 81

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

1) Are they sponges?
2) Are they good or bad?

Interesting looking and coloured sponge.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back