Goodbye SPS

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R. Just wanted to whine a bit to my fellow reefers that “know the feeling”. I’m done with SPS. I’ve been loosing corals over the last several months. Once I think I have it fixed another coral bleaches. I just can’t keep acros and birds nests alive. I don’t get it and I’ve had enough! I don’t have the patience for these types of corals I guess. I just want to say for those of you that have great looking acros....I’m so jealous.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear, they can be difficult for newer tanks or tanks that have to many changes in parameters .

Not one tank is alike, you have to find your balance and unfortunately sometimes losses occur and frustration . The day I get frustrated at this hobby is a day I’ll get rid of my tank so I keep an open mind and try to stay happy with it.

I can’t keep brains or acans. So I don’t buy them ;)

SereneAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP... if it makes you feel any better... I kill GSP. [emoji28] I have other corals that do just fine... hammer, moseleya, pavona, lepto, montipora... but the GSP dies. What?? Granted, my loss is like 20 bucks. Yours are much more of an investment. I am still trying to figure out what works for me.

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that. Did you try to seek help here on the forum? Do you know what was the issue?

No it’s been on going for 3-4 months. First was not enough light. Then not enough nutrients. Then too much light. And of course all the alk swings from water changes.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s been on going for 3-4 months. First was not enough light. Then not enough nutrients. Then too much light. And of course all the alk swings from water changes.
If you would like to hang in there I can help you ad much as I can...
I personally do not think sps are that hard ad long ad you have the tight setup and maintenance mentality.
But it's up to you, I know how hard it is to feel what you feeling now...

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve all been there. Keep your chin up! Just take a step back. Keep some easier corals for a while as you settle into a maintenance routine that works for you. Over time the system will mature, you’ll have a handle on husbandry and a better feel for how your system shows you when things are swinging out of balance.

When you think your ready wait another few months and try a couple of frags from local hobbyist’s that aren't bank breakers and see how they do. Good luck!

Last edited:

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I have had random zoas melt, blasto disappear, while some sps are thriving, RBA splitting, holygrail micromusa tripling in size in 2 month. I figured out the key is not to chase after what doesnt do well, but reinforce what works for the masses and avoid what doesnt seem to like the conditions. Keeping all things happy in a mixed tank is tough.

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I have had random zoas melt, blasto disappear, while some sps are thriving, RBA splitting, holygrail micromusa tripling in size in 2 month. I figured out the key is not to chase after what doesnt do well, but reinforce what works for the masses and avoid what doesnt seem to like the conditions. Keeping all things happy in a mixed tank is tough.

Exactly. I just hate to see money melt or bleach!!!

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brian. Don’t give up. I’m not sure if you have done any of these things or not but try these.
It sounds like you’re not maintaining stable parameters.

Do you have an auto top off to keep salinity stable?

How are you checking salinity?

Are you mixing new salt water for a bit and heating it to the same temp as your display? I let mine mix for 24-48 hr with a heater and power head.

Are you checking the alkalinity of your mixed newly mixed salt water? It should Close to the parameters you keep your tank at. I had a batch of Kent salt that was mixing at 14 dkh and over 550 calcium. I stopped using it. Switched to fritz and have been happy. The Kent is now a fish qt mix.

If you need to adjust your dkh of your new mixed salt water, use sodium carbonate to bring it up or sodium bisulfite to bring it down. Check the reef chemistry forum.

If your alk is swinging between water changes you should be dosing either kalkwasser or some alk supplements.
Test your water daily and record how much alk and calcium is being used.

I use kalk on my qt tank. I just mix it up with the fresh water top off.

I don’t buy the tank is too young, my qt tank has been setup since mid to late March and I think I started adding sps in April.

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R. Just wanted to whine a bit to my fellow reefers that “know the feeling”. I’m done with SPS. I’ve been loosing corals over the last several months. Once I think I have it fixed another coral bleaches. I just can’t keep acros and birds nests alive. I don’t get it and I’ve had enough! I don’t have the patience for these types of corals I guess. I just want to say for those of you that have great looking acros....I’m so jealous.

I haven't figured it out either, but will keep trying!

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve felt the same way dude. Sorry to hear all that’s been going on. The corals in my tank aren’t looking happy either.

It feels like I’m going through a minefield at times when I try fixing things.

At the end of the day I feel stability is the key. Which means adding more equipment which means more cost.

I hope you like discus keeping if you go that route. Freshwater was on of the least stressful times I had with great returns.

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I could post parameters and problems. Maybe we as a group could narrow it down. I really just wanted to whine a bit to some folks that feel my pain.

I do 10% WC weekly. Total system volume is 220g

9.6 dKH before WC. 10.2 after. 10.2 has been a pretty steady number after WC.

1350 MG

450 Ca

Nitrates hang steady at 8

.02-.04 phos

No dosing only run GAC. 1 cup of BRS rox. Change once a month. I do have kalk but don’t run it yet.

Equipment is top class. Ati sunpower 6x80. Cheap led bar for ramp up and down. Lifereef skimmer. Tunze ATO. Apex controller. 2x mp40s set at 80% reefcrest on antisync

Lighting schedule is 8 hr full bright. 12 full cycle.

Refugium in sump by the weekend. Just waiting on my chaeto. Set to opposite light cycle.

Tank is an upgrade from a 75. So some rock was from it. New sand and more rock cycled back in October.

Powder Blue tang
Purple tang
Kole tang
3x banggai
3x dartfish
2x oct clowns
Yellow prawn goby
Midas blenny
4x chromis
Blood red shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Skunk shrimp

Normal hermit and snail cleanup.

Several hammer corals
Couple of Zoa frags
15 or so sps frags now. Lost maybe 5-6.

I think my problem now is the WC spikes causing instability. I really don’t know. Open to any suggestions!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back