OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get these sps from? Are they wild/from the LFS? I've noticed that acros and sticks are much more forgiving when they come from local reefers/have been captive grow for a very long time...

WWC and Budman. Budman has been in it for a long time and is close to me.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9.6 dKH before WC. 10.2 after. 10.2 has been a pretty steady number after WC.

This is a pretty substantial difference, especially if you're seeing it immediately after a water change.
Consider trying a salt that mixes up to lower alk, and/or do smaller water changes.

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't feel bad and certainly don't feel like a failure! Most hobbyists ( guys) are in the age group of 20-40 and its a male ego that keeps many of us in the challenge. But depending on your source water you can be doomed to fail. Well water and city water and everything in-between is challenging. And in some cases, funky source water sets you up for failure. I know, I know RO/DI. But I'm here to tell you that well water can be so challenging that 200 gallons of source will will trash your DI ! AND many times, there will be a residual in the new salt water that is low enough to be 'nothing' to the fish or the sturdy inverts but 'death incarnate' to corals and some zoas. Secondly I firmly believe that there are viruses and parasites we haven't even become aware of yet. How can some tanks support acans and leathers yet not a single Zoid can survive? There always is a reason for these things of course, but the solutions could simply not be worth the effort-- after all it is 'supposed to be' an enjoyment! As for alternatives, a simple fish tanks is always easy and more forgiving. Lots of outlets in terms of interesting marine tanks-- I have a cool 120 as one of my four systems and it is easy easy easy- just anemones - bubble tips, rock flowers and fish-- ten springeri, 3 percula and a few royal gramma-- I change water every two weeks, chemical filter monthly and that is all-- repeat-- that is all. I actually could MAKE money on this system as the splitting never stops amongst the rare bubble tips. You could try freshwater but I warn you-- planted tanks look GREAT like the Amano look. But they can be as hard and demanding as a coral tank ( almost anyway). Africans are easy and can make an impressive display -- lots to chose from and lots to enjoy more with less stress

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R. Just wanted to whine a bit to my fellow reefers that “know the feeling”. I’m done with SPS. I’ve been loosing corals over the last several months. Once I think I have it fixed another coral bleaches. I just can’t keep acros and birds nests alive. I don’t get it and I’ve had enough! I don’t have the patience for these types of corals I guess. I just want to say for those of you that have great looking acros....I’m so jealous.
Don't feel bad and certainly don't feel like a failure! Most hobbyists ( guys) are in the age group of 20-40 and its a male ego that keeps many of us in the challenge. But depending on your source water you can be doomed to fail. Well water and city water and everything in-between is challenging. And in some cases, funky source water sets you up for failure. I know, I know RO/DI. But I'm here to tell you that well water can be so challenging that 200 gallons of source will will trash your DI ! AND many times, there will be a residual in the new salt water that is low enough to be 'nothing' to the fish or the sturdy inverts but 'death incarnate' to corals and some zoas. Secondly I firmly believe that there are viruses and parasites we haven't even become aware of yet. How can some tanks support acans and leathers yet not a single Zoid can survive? There always is a reason for these things of course, but the solutions could simply not be worth the effort-- after all it is 'supposed to be' an enjoyment! As for alternatives, a simple fish tanks is always easy and more forgiving. Lots of outlets in terms of interesting marine tanks-- I have a cool 120 as one of my four systems and it is easy easy easy- just anemones - bubble tips, rock flowers and fish-- ten springeri, 3 percula and a few royal gramma-- I change water every two weeks, chemical filter monthly and that is all-- repeat-- that is all. I actually could MAKE money on this system as the splitting never stops amongst the rare bubble tips. You could try freshwater but I warn you-- planted tanks look GREAT like the Amano look. But they can be as hard and demanding as a coral tank ( almost anyway). Africans are easy and can make an impressive display -- lots to chose from and lots to enjoy more with less stress

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
acros are definitely in a league of their own difficulty wise. i dipped a toe in the sps world a few months ago with a green digi and was successful, so i thought the door was open to sps. i'm basically batting 100% on non acro sps, but man those acros. they rtn, they stn, they bleach without looking rtn. granted, i did poorly with fluctuating the parameters, so it's my fault mostly, but it sucks to buy something and in one night it's gone.

i do think non acro sps are cool too, though. birdsnest, digitata, stylos all seem fairly hardy and easy. maybe that's the route to go

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea of a nem tank. That was my original plan but somehow I started buying sticks and killing them...lol!! I loved that BRS harem tank

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have never opened this forum . Its scarying the heck out of me for my build as I plan on having mixed or mainly sps. Darnit!!!

No way bro! You gotta give it a try. It’s defiantly frustrating at times but i live and learn. You may have amazing luck.

OP
OP
B

Brian Saxby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty substantial difference, especially if you're seeing it immediately after a water change.
Consider trying a salt that mixes up to lower alk, and/or do smaller water changes.

It’s about 12 hours after a 10% WC

reeferdano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brian, it took me a long time to understand sps requirements, killed dozens and quit many times along the way. Now that I know, its actually really simple. I would be happy to mentor you through if you choose to stick with it. :) Dano

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There are alternatives. Go softies. 31+ years in hobby and I still get challenged by SPS, so no bad feeling of inabilities. It happens to the Best of us

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you think your water changes are the issue you can easily control alk spikes by lowering your new salt mix alkalinity with acid to match your current parameters. This will minimize any swings. Make sure to aerate the mix for at least 12 hours with an airstone and fresh air if you can to raise the Ph. Acid will significantly lower the ph in the new water so you will want to bring it up.

It’s important for my tank since it’s only 25 gallons, and my weekly 7-10 gallon water change is a big percentage of water volume.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not for everyone! Alk swing from 10% w/c is not likely! Know your water via ICP Triton. Dip for pests, control your water parameters. You would need some good equipment. Dosers at first then, Calcium reactor. Good flow. Good light. Good nutrient export. Skimmer. Rodi top off. Temperature control with redundant heaters, maybe a chiller. Power backup. Or, freshwater discus!

_JoeD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s been on going for 3-4 months. First was not enough light. Then not enough nutrients. Then too much light. And of course all the alk swings from water changes.

ALK swings are definitely SPS killers. We all learn and struggle. Honestly, why not just have some LPS and work on maintaining ALK, etc.. then move on up? We've all felt your frustration before

_JoeD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I could post parameters and problems. Maybe we as a group could narrow it down. I really just wanted to whine a bit to some folks that feel my pain.

I do 10% WC weekly. Total system volume is 220g

9.6 dKH before WC. 10.2 after. 10.2 has been a pretty steady number after WC.

1350 MG

450 Ca

Nitrates hang steady at 8

.02-.04 phos

No dosing only run GAC. 1 cup of BRS rox. Change once a month. I do have kalk but don’t run it yet.

Equipment is top class. Ati sunpower 6x80. Cheap led bar for ramp up and down. Lifereef skimmer. Tunze ATO. Apex controller. 2x mp40s set at 80% reefcrest on antisync

Lighting schedule is 8 hr full bright. 12 full cycle.

Refugium in sump by the weekend. Just waiting on my chaeto. Set to opposite light cycle.

Tank is an upgrade from a 75. So some rock was from it. New sand and more rock cycled back in October.

Powder Blue tang
Purple tang
Kole tang
3x banggai
3x dartfish
2x oct clowns
Yellow prawn goby
Midas blenny
4x chromis
Blood red shrimp
Peppermint shrimp
Skunk shrimp

Normal hermit and snail cleanup.

Several hammer corals
Couple of Zoa frags
15 or so sps frags now. Lost maybe 5-6.

I think my problem now is the WC spikes causing instability. I really don’t know. Open to any suggestions!

Test your ALK every day. Figure out how much it is using. IME, alk is the most important parameter to keep as stable as possible for SPS.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back