OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been excited about the idea of the ATO being connected directly to the ro/di, the problem is that the layout of our home didn’t allow it, at least not easily. My plan is to install the ro/di in the crawl space below the tank. It stays warm enough it won’t freeze and is easy enough to access that I can check on it. I will also mount a camera in the crawl space so I can keep an eye on the unit in addition to my sump pump.

Since water changes for a tank this size are difficult with no mixing station I think I’ll use the DOS for auto water changes. I ordered a barrel on amazon to put beside the tank. It should hold two weeks worth of mixed salt water.
E0B1FE64-B35F-475A-AF7E-439C6A611FB1.png
The barrel is big and ugly but I think I came up with a clever idea.
I also ordered a wine barrel.
619D0052-4CD3-4633-98F1-3D1FD043EE09.png
The blue barrel should set right inside of the wine barrel. If everything fits this will be wife approved.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been excited about the idea of the ATO being connected directly to the ro/di, the problem is that the layout of our home didn’t allow it, at least not easily. My plan is to install the ro/di in the crawl space below the tank. It stays warm enough it won’t freeze and is easy enough to access that I can check on it. I will also mount a camera in the crawl space so I can keep an eye on the unit in addition to my sump pump.

Since water changes for a tank this size are difficult with no mixing station I think I’ll use the DOS for auto water changes. I ordered a barrel on amazon to put beside the tank. It should hold two weeks worth of mixed salt water.
The blue barrel should set right inside of the wine barrel. If everything fits this will be wife approved.
Awesome idea!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been thinking of ways to get a bigger ATO res. I thought about this option but have not priced it out.
how big is the blue barrel? I normally use a 29H aquarium so I was looking into simple cabinets. uggg so many things to buy..haha

let us know how it goes!

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking of ways to get a bigger ATO res. I thought about this option but have not priced it out.
how big is the blue barrel? I normally use a 29H aquarium so I was looking into simple cabinets. uggg so many things to buy..haha

let us know how it goes!

The blue barrel is 30 gallons.
28.5” tall 21.5” diameter

I was thinking the same thing, using an aquarium and a ikea cabinet. My wife wasn’t impressed with the idea though. This she can decorate on top of.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wives are so selfish. I wouldn’t care if she set up a craft room in the house, why can’t I have a mixing station in the living room right next to the tank for simplicity’s sake? Kind of not joking here.
My wife has been more than giving when it comes to this hobby over the years. When I’ve had leaks that damaged the floors she was understanding. When a float valve stuck and doubled our water bill she didn’t give me grief. When my old T-12 end caps caught on fire she just asked that I bought safer equipment. I could go on and on. So if she doesn’t want a 30 gallon blue barrel sitting in our dining room that’s ok with me.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you don't want a blue eyesore right next to the tank, covering it with something that fits the decor will make you and your wife happy. Just remember that function wins out over form. Design it so that you can easily maintain it as well as get to the pumps and hoses when an emergency arises.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on setting up the DOS for AWC. What’s the best method to secure the dos tubing in the sump and also in the NSW barrel?

Sley1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on setting up the DOS for AWC. What’s the best method to secure the dos tubing in the sump and also in the NSW barrel?

I used this to secure tubing to the sump,
IMG_4508.JPG

and for the NSW tank, I drilled a hole through the top the same size as the tubing and then ran the tubing to the bottom( I may need to add something to weight down the end). I also saw some small 1/4” bulkheads for RO tubing on BRS site, not watertight but keep things looking nice.

Works great, I am loving the auto water change with the DOS, I ran all my tubing and cables through the wall into my garage where I have my DOS, storage tanks, and a drain close by for the waste water.

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this to secure tubing to the sump,
IMG_4508.JPG

and for the NSW tank, I drilled a hole through the top the same size as the tubing and then ran the tubing to the bottom( I may need to add something to weight down the end). I also saw some small 1/4” bulkheads for RO tubing on BRS site, not watertight but keep things looking nice.

Works great, I am loving the auto water change with the DOS, I ran all my tubing and cables through the wall into my garage where I have my DOS, storage tanks, and a drain close by for the waste water.
Great, thanks! I have an idea to use 1/4” acrylic tubing in the barrel instead of weighing down the line.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I love this idea! I’m like your wife and also like to decorate lol. Would you be able to share a link to the wine barrel you ordered?

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this idea! I’m like your wife and also like to decorate lol. Would you be able to share a link to the wine barrel you ordered?
Thanks! I’ll attach a screen shot from my eBay. It’s went up in price since I bought it. It’s in very good condition compared to the others I’ve seen. Funny thing is it shipped from Walmart.com, who knows?
0685EE56-6CB5-41D6-95CC-76FAE2B2265F.png

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ll attach a screen shot from my eBay. It’s went up in price since I bought it. It’s in very good condition compared to the others I’ve seen. Funny thing is it shipped from Walmart.com, who knows?
0685EE56-6CB5-41D6-95CC-76FAE2B2265F.png

Thank you! I am totally planning on stealing this fantastic idea, it will go great with rustic decor!

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current fish:
Magnificent foxface
Copperband butterfly
Lyretail anthias -3 female, 1 male
Long nose hawk fish
Royal gramma
Clown

I plan on adding:
Clown
Convict tang
Hippo tang
Blonde Naso tang
Orange diamond goby
Wrasse (maybe yellow corris)
EA17E38B-E18E-4B63-B164-1E200CEE6AE4.jpeg
7D6DE65E-552B-462C-B928-7F5908C22650.jpeg
5ED13C8E-247C-48B8-8B09-8E13AE9BC449.jpeg

Today I’m hoping to finish up the ATO and AWC. I have setup the tunze water valve several different ways now and haven’t been comfortable leaving the house with those configurations. I think I’ve figured it out now though.

8AE4D38A-A1FB-4B4D-97CE-5343FC116CC9.jpeg

OP
OP
goodtimes

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice fish list! hows the CBB going? that fish is on my list for the 750..did you get it eating ok?

I have always wanted to try a CBB again. My first attempt ended badly many years ago because I couldn’t get him to eat.
I happened to see them feeding the tank at the LFS and this little guy was devouring frozen food. I just got him yesterday but with what Ive seen so far I’m happy!
Same with the foxface, he’s been at the LFS for 5 weeks that I know of. I’ve been keeping an eye on him and was satisfied enough to bring him home yesterday.
LFS fish prices are crazy compared to online retailers but I don’t know that I would order online again with the exception of a couple stores. Since I do not qt, I appreciate being able to see the fish and monitor them over a period of time at the store.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted to try a CBB again. My first attempt ended badly many years ago because I couldn’t get him to eat.
I happened to see them feeding the tank at the LFS and this little guy was devouring frozen food. I just got him yesterday but with what Ive seen so far I’m happy!
Same with the foxface, he’s been at the LFS for 5 weeks that I know of. I’ve been keeping an eye on him and was satisfied enough to bring him home yesterday.
LFS fish prices are crazy compared to online retailers but I don’t know that I would order online again with the exception of a couple stores. Since I do not qt, I appreciate being able to see the fish and monitor them over a period of time at the store.

glad it's eating well for you!! I hope I have the same success. no LFS with in 100's of miles for me tho.. :(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back