Gorgonian ID + advise

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My 10 gallon nano has been running for just over a year now, all my leathers and shrooms have been growing well.

About 2 weeks ago I added my first gorgonian. I know it's photosynthetic but I don't know what species it is.

When I first put it in the tank, the polyps were extending nicely but the last couple days the polyps haven't come out and it's flesh looks brownish (like a leather looks before it sheds). Any advice would be appreciated.

OP
OP
NanoJHB

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220418_144627.jpg

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't quite tell but seems like there could be some algae growth on there- do you see that brown algae elsewhere in the tank? I had a similar problem with my gorgs, ultimately moving them to higher flow and keeping the phosphates lower has helped and now they're all extended all the time. Also check over your parameters- softies like you have can slowly get used to conditions that might be very sub-optimal for a new addition, so make sure those parameters are looking good. This also is all under the assumption you have a light good enough for a photosynthetic gorg, and while I'm not positive on their light requirements all types have been pretty straightforward for me light-wise, so I doubt that's the issue

OP
OP
NanoJHB

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help. I'll take a water sample down to my lfs and get the parameters checked :)
Can't quite tell but seems like there could be some algae growth on there- do you see that brown algae elsewhere in the tank? I had a similar problem with my gorgs, ultimately moving them to higher flow and keeping the phosphates lower has helped and now they're all extended all the time. Also check over your parameters- softies like you have can slowly get used to conditions that might be very sub-optimal for a new addition, so make sure those parameters are looking good. This also is all under the assumption you have a light good enough for a photosynthetic gorg, and while I'm not positive on their light requirements all types have been pretty straightforward for me light-wise, so I doubt that's the issue

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a purple bush or a rough sea plume

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher flow. Could be algae or "skin". I found I had to be aggressive with removing algae and skin on mine. Once it was covered, a turkey baster wasn't strong enough and more flow didn't do it either. I used a soft bristled toothbrush to remove it. The gorg was mad for a few days, but opened back up.

It got bad enough that I lost tissue, but as soon as I removed the algae successfully, it grew back very quickly!

I also did big water changes after removing the algae because my nutrients were too high. Haven't had an issue since.
Hope this helps.

OP
OP
NanoJHB

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine don't mind high nutrients : nit 40 phos 0.2 so I wouldn't worry about parameters just add flow

Higher flow. Could be algae or "skin". I found I had to be aggressive with removing algae and skin on mine. Once it was covered, a turkey baster wasn't strong enough and more flow didn't do it either. I used a soft bristled toothbrush to remove it. The gorg was mad for a few days, but opened back up.

It got bad enough that I lost tissue, but as soon as I removed the algae successfully, it grew back very quickly!

I also did big water changes after removing the algae because my nutrients were too high. Haven't had an issue since.
Hope this helps.
Just been reading your build thread ! Love your tank, super unique :)

Thanks for the advice Monica

Back