Gorgonian Troubles... Again

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this gorgonian for a little over a week and first I had trouble with the polyps being closed around the tip of it’s branches and in the same place it was whiter and smoother, I was told to cut them off so I ended up cutting them. Now it’s frequently closing up all over. This has been happening since I replaced the filter cartridge the other day. Does anyone have any tips as to what I should do?
image.jpg

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems to be pH sensitive. If the pH dips to 7.8 all the polyps close up then as the pH rises again they come back out. Don't know if that's what yours is reacting to just a thought

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I look at mine too long, it closes up. Then an hour later, wide open

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7. Some are closed and some are open. As long as stuff doesnt settle on them they are fine. They like flow.

lotekfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping various gorgonians for a couple of years. There always seems to be one that's closed up for an extended period of time. I had one I was convinced was dead because I hadn't seen polyps for what seemed like several weeks. I was about to pull it out, then suddenly one day all the polyps were out again. If you've only had it a week or so I wouldn't worry about it. I would not do any trimming, it will only stress it out and keep it closed up longer.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI some of mine died back at first but then regrew and covered the exposed skeleton so I would not cut the tips.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like LOTS of flow. They do close up and shed like leather coral. As long as the tissue isn't melting off dont worry about it just yet.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color are the polyps? Brown/tan polyps usually indicate a chance of it being photosynthetic. These should be open most of the time. Pure white or brightly colored polyps tend to be non-photosynthetic and will feed when they sense conditions are correct. Try altering flow, strong but not harsh and laminar. If not photosynthetic put it in the shade. This will help keep algae from growing on it. For food use Benepets reef food, reef chili, baby brine, and phyto-plankton. I feed a "taste" first and then they will open and then I feed heavy, twice a day.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have enough flow? They need adequate flow to remove the skin they frequently shed. Gorgonians are the only coral that I've found to love direct flow. They'd be happy just a few inches right in front of the power head.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back