Gorgonians

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the most beginner friendly for gorgonians out there? I am thinking of buying online, any website recommendations? KP aquarics seems nice however I know nothing about ordering online as I never have before and have serious concerns about online ordering's ability to deliver a gorgonian to me still alive. What do you guys think? I'd like to know.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some of the most beginner friendly for gorgonians out there? I am thinking of buying online, any website recommendations? KP aquarics seems nice however I know nothing about ordering online as I never have before and have serious concerns about online ordering's ability to deliver a gorgonian to me still alive. What do you guys think? I'd like to know.

I think any of the aquacultured photosynthetic options are great! ORA (Grubes and Purple) is probably the most common, but Biota makes a nice pink one too. Very hardy and I haven’t had any issues getting them online from Liveaquaria and have not had any losses from shipping.

I have had the Biota Pink Gorgonian since May and it has doubled in size and grown a couple new branches! Thinking about getting another type to put near it in the background of my tank...

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonia can be sustainably harvested from the ocean. I have had many good shipments (as I added tanks) from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Can’t beat their prices. Fill a 100 gallon tank for $100. https://www.live-plants.com/

Very cool. I’m always nervous adding things from the ocean because of pests, algae, and any unwelcome hitchhikers. But there are advantages to be sure. I just like aquacultured frags since they can be much more hardy being used to the aquarium environment.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They both are fine I have ordered from both a few times.

I would stay away from Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata because it is a little harder to keep. It really can get covered in algae and its tissue is different and does not seem to fend it off as easy. It also seems to do better with food.

Pterogorgia anceps also is a little harder but easier than bipinnata.

The rest of the photosynthetic gorgonians from the Caribbean are not to bad to keep.

My favorite is Briareum asbestinum the big one in the pic below.

1604939957317.png

1604940008398.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
dhanking

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your opinions about the purple ribbon gorgonian? Inappropriate reefer owns one I think and according to shred5 it is very easy to take care of. It also seems very pretty and would be an honor to keep in my tank.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your opinions about the purple ribbon gorgonian? Inappropriate reefer owns one I think and according to shred5 it is very easy to take care of. It also seems very pretty and would be an honor to keep in my tank.

I have a couple purple ribbons - if my fish decide to nip at any of my gorgs, it's hands down always these guys. Luckily, they don't seem to care either way. They're photosynthetic so they're easy enough. I do dose my tank with both easybooster phyto and easysps so they get intermittent feeding from both of those in addition.

OP
OP
dhanking

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saved this one, does anyone know what species it is? If you do and you have this gorgonian what are some things that help it thrive in your reeftank?

image.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Very cool. I’m always nervous adding things from the ocean because of pests, algae, and any unwelcome hitchhikers. But there are advantages to be sure. I just like aquacultured frags since they can be much more hardy being used to the aquarium environment.

So here is the deal. Don't be nervous. We all start with a sterile box but once we introduce something, regardless of source, everything sterile goes out the window. I'd even challenge those who say they QT, dip, rinse, chaw, or anything else in between. Once you introduce something what is know is no more.

We, hobbyists, mitigate by process and procedure while buying from sources with a good history. It is about the best we can do. So while I understand being nervous there is no stopping Mother Nature.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even aquaculture pieces can have issues. I recently placed an order with a fairly well known vendor, and ended up with monti eating nudibranchs. The vendor was kind enough to refund me for the cost of the monti, and included some extra frags on my next order to make up for it.
Just remember, no matter where the corals come from, dip them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back