justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throwing any medicine in is scary, and people initially started with dog dewormer to get the active ingredient, but it also included other ingredients, then moved over to the pure version when supply was available. Snail deaths *seemed* to be related to the dog version with the other ingredients, but not enough samples to say definitively. I went with lower dose, SPS and all my snails made it, but I feel fortunate. And I'm grateful I don't have to try it again. I was sort of freaking out for a week.
If they come back I'll hit u up on my thread so we can discuss this to not derail GoVols thread sorry buddy

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took long enough! Nice pics Freddie, glad I bumped into your thread. Also happy your spirits are up with the pests.. Pretty easy to get discouraged with some of those nasty little buggers.

All things pass with time, even nasty lil nems :D

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post the magic formula you use to match RedSea Skeletal Elements usage to Colors C, D?

Might be useful as public post for others (me me me) :)

When you were dialing it in, how often did you test Ca & Mg?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey... here's your thread. Good looking tank. How does the ABC+ keep up with Alk consumption? I'm using the A and B reef foundation and I still haven't needed to dose C yet. Mg is over 1600ppm from the black bucket salt. My Ca barely gets used up but my Alk drops like crazy in my 14g nano every day. No precipitation anywhere. I'm dosing around 8ml part B daily and 1-2ml part A every few days.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post the magic formula you use to match RedSea Skeletal Elements usage to Colors C, D?

Might be useful as public post for others (me me me) :)

When you were dialing it in, how often did you test Ca & Mg?

RedSeaKev shot me an email on Skeletal Elements powder and dosing "Colors" C & D.
I asked him for a simple way and he emailed back a simple way.

To every 13.3 grams of the Skeletal Elements powder / you dose 1 milliliter of "Colors" C & D.

The Skeletal Elements powder already has "Colors" A & B in the powder.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because the Skeletal Elements powder raises all of the big-3 at one time. I still test cal and alk every couple of days before the next dose.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey... here's your thread. Good looking tank. How does the ABC+ keep up with Alk consumption? I'm using the A and B reef foundation and I still haven't needed to dose C yet. Mg is over 1600ppm from the black bucket salt. My Ca barely gets used up but my Alk drops like crazy in my 14g nano every day. No precipitation anywhere. I'm dosing around 8ml part B daily and 1-2ml part A every few days.
You dose the ABC+ power to your cal's intake and it raises up you alk and mag too.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked @GoVols on the blue bucket, it mixes close to NSW so it's much easier to use a balanced supplement.
Yes, I was using the regular IO salt but the high alk would knock the ABC+ powder out of balance.

So I am using the RS "Blue Bucket" to keep the powder more inline while making my big weekly water changes.

The Blue Bucket and the ABC+ with "Colors" C & D / Have the same Red Sea trace elements.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took long enough! Nice pics Freddie, glad I bumped into your thread. Also happy your spirits are up with the pests.. Pretty easy to get discouraged with some of those nasty little buggers.

All things pass with time, even nasty lil nems :D
My very good friend Rakie :)

Rakie, Do you have a build thread over here?

Freddie

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last thing about the ABC+ powder.

I'm holding 80 gallons of water. I would not use the ABC+ powder on a larger volume of water.
It will go wacko and will not stay in balance.

Also, I don't feel like it's for a beginner because it bumps all the big-3 at one time.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does GoVols not have a quarantine tank???

First off I do believe that a quarantine tank is the way to go. It's a no brainier.

In 2011 my wife and I downsized to a town home and I did have my ole RSM 130 going until 2014 but had to move it on the kitchen counter top when we bought the S 400. I hardly ever add anything new to our reef and the 130 was just running and in the way. So I broke it down and it's in our garage.

When I do add something I try to find (wait it out) the most healthy specimen that I can find but I'm still am putting the main display at risk. ;Nailbiting

If we truly had the room in our town home then I'd have a QT running.

(As only one example)
I am fighting a Aiptasia outbreak and if I was still running a QT, I may have caught it before it hit the main tank.

Regards, GoVols

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qt taking set up and tear down when not in use. It was a lot easier to convince the wife to have one with that as a selling point lol

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qt taking set up and tear down when not in use. It was a lot easier to convince the wife to have one with that as a selling point lol
Great point.

If one does not run a QT it's not if your going to be dealing with something in the MD but when you will be dealing with something.

I am stocked and done adding but I'm also holding my breath for the ptb since I added the Stripey.

When I had the Achilles. I never added a single fish during his lifespan because my 130 was already broke down and I could not QT a new fish.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a thread Freddie! Although it's a travesty at the moment.. lots of ups and downs lately. Things are slowly getting on track though. One slow painful hurdle at a time!

I'm glad your going strong though! RS blue bucket is one of my favorite salts as well.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a thread Freddie! Although it's a travesty at the moment.. lots of ups and downs lately. Things are slowly getting on track though. One slow painful hurdle at a time!

I'm glad your going strong though! RS blue bucket is one of my favorite salts as well.
Rakie,
We all have the up and downs but you and @MrMichael are very sharp reefers.

Heck, My reef has been in the sweet spot for too long and it should be crashed by the end of the week. ;Jawdrop

Rakie,
Are you still using the Fritz RPM?

Freddie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rakie,
We all have the up and downs but you and @MrMichael are very sharp reefers.

Heck, My reef has been in the sweet spot for too long and it should be crashed by the end of the week. ;Jawdrop

Rakie,
Are you still using the Fritz RPM?

Freddie

Thank you!

And yes, I'm still using Fritz RPM. I ended up getting a couple boxes at $40 so I'll be in Fritz land for awhile. I take it you're on Red Sea blue bucket now? It's a good salt, I had no real issues with it other than wanting to try everything out there -- grass is always greener and such.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

And yes, I'm still using Fritz RPM. I ended up getting a couple boxes at $40 so I'll be in Fritz land for awhile. I take it you're on Red Sea blue bucket now? It's a good salt, I had no real issues with it other than wanting to try everything out there -- grass is always greener and such.
I used one box of the Fritz and it nailed their parameters. No complaints and (lol) I don't know how you get it at $40.
Had a lot IO ocean left over so knocked most of it out and moved over to the Blue Bucket to keep the ABC+ parameters inline.

There's a guy in Poland that test a bunch of salts at the same time and so far the Red Sea salts have been the best in 2014 and 2017, to how I read it. :confused:
But... (lol) One could argue that some of his test do not matter but his lab results don't lie.

I can honestly say that if a salt mixes to the parameters that you like or dose up while mixing then I can not say that ones better than the other.

I keep waiting for someone to mix a fresh batch of the RPM and send a sample to Triton labs and post the results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal Urchin out and sporting it's Zoa camouflage. :)

0711171739a.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 109 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 118 47.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 8.8%
Back