GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were those the original hinges freddie?

Love your angel. Montiporas might be off my list unless i isolate one next build. Ive seen too many that just require so much upkeep. It seems too much, but a fat cabbage on a rock island may be doable.

Rich,
We just put in the third set, I changed them out about three years ago. These new ones don't fit just right, so I'm going to call Red Sea (at some point) to find the original hinges. These don't make the doors flush on the outside to the stand sides (when the doors are fully closed), so the doors touch each other in the middle when I close up the stand. Bugs me... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the purple monti already needs to be bushwacked again, but (lol) going to let the Red Cap and Chilli Pepper run wild. I still have Katrina's frags and having to pull them up, because they try to keep bonding to the floor.

Next critter will be another Harley shrimp or pair to knock out asterina, love those Harleys but it is sure hard to take them back when they have cleaned house. Cool little boogers.

That Regal is special to us as well, it was an easy call that the WWC Trachys had to come out when she started to pester them.

FWIW:
When covid cools down, I will post the AP700 (for sale) on the MTRC member forum, I sold two AI 26 HDs doing that in early 2017.

Murfreesboro just went to a mandated mask ;Doctor city, starting Wednesday and Nashville has been that way for a while.

Have a great evening... :)

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Project for the weekend:

Replaced the door hinges... ;Wideyed
image000000.jpg

We still cyano and nitrates are still hanging high as well. Just holding the coarse and waiting to see if the Siporax will kick in, without having to carbon dose.

The A360Xs have been great and alk intake has gone up. The Alkatronic caught the alk intake and verified with Hanna. Lowered the cal reactors melting point by .1 in ph and we're dialed back to the new consumption.

X settings:
We have worked up to 75% intensity
Spectrum: 20% blue, 15% red and 75% voilet

Changed out the ATI B+ bulbs for brand new giesemann actinic blue bulbs.

An older acro colony that has been dormant for a good while seems to be coming back to life.
image000000 (1).jpg

Red cap monti has made a 90-degree turn and growing straight up the back glass.
image000002.jpg

Birdsnest still doing good under this new high par lighting / no burnt tips
image000009.jpg

New growth edges have been showing up across the board
image000002 (1).jpg

Fragamite from the BTA / RTN is holding up, seems happy... :)
image000001.jpg

A couple of fish shots for the week
image000007.jpg
image000004.jpg

So, nitrates seem to be coming down just a tad, but not the time to sound the bullhorn.

Alkatronic did its job by catching the alk intake on top of a very busy work week.

So happy with this new (led-X / t5) light setup, that it's hard to put into words.

We'll overcome the partial ugly stage that the S-400 is in at some point, and hope you all are well.

Regards, GoVols
Freddie,

Your pics always left me amazed, nice colors, your Achilles makes such a dramatic contrast.

Those hinges look hideous amigo! not worthy of your reef.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freddie,

Your pics always left me amazed, nice colors, your Achilles makes such a dramatic contrast.

Those hinges look hideous amigo! not worthy of your reef.

Pancho,
Thanks so much for those nice complements, the replacement hinges came in this morning from Rea Sea USA. I'll install them tomorrow evening.

Glad that your back on Reef 2 Reef, we were for sure concerned about you, but can understand needing time away from the site. It can consume me as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

I'm staying put with the Tunze calcium reactor media (even though Reborn is back), the Tunze media has been panning out nice with the K and A trace elements, and I like Roger too.

I think those elements are the most likely the one thing that has kicked in coralline growth.

Are you going to fire up the Reborn media?

What was your reef's temperature to get cyano spreading? I used to roll at 82 for faster coral growth, but high temps can make a breakout spread faster as well.

FWIW:
I joined R2R Facebook site (through Angelia's profile) and was able to find @Hemmdog in there, it was nice to be able to chat with him.

Last edited:

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The corals and fish are doing great. New rim growth with super nice polyp extension.

@drawman (Tim) is correct, nitrates are sitting still, Going to take some time for the Siporax to kick in. Have not done a water change in over two weeks. The weekly water changes will resume next Friday.

We finished seeding with MB-7.

Started to fire Brightwells Razor Marine after the MB-7 seeding was over. The R-M has really done a good job and pulled a lot of funk out of the system with that product.

Right now, dosing MB-Clean with skimmer off 4 hours, then hitting the reef with Marine Razor.

lol
Kinda in lab mode at this point.

I guess we could always go back to the Purigen reactor (going aggressive on the front end), but I think that would be a premature call at this point.

A tad amount of leftover cyano remains but seems to be clearing up. All other forms of funk build up seem to be long gone.

ReefWave 25:
The replacement controller has held up and the ReefBeat app has been smooth as silk.

Alka-T:
Holding solid as a rock / cross-testing against it once a week.

PS:
Last week cleaned all downpipes and the S-Series overflow valve with Heinz cleaning vinegar. Way overdue.

image000000(1).jpg
image000005(1).jpg
image000007.jpg
image000008(1).jpg
image000003(2).jpg
image000009(1).jpg

image000000(2).jpg image000000.jpg image000001(2).jpg image000002(2).jpg image000002.jpg image000003(1).jpg image000004(2).jpg image000008(2).jpg image000008.jpg

Thanks for tagging along, Happy Father's Day!!!
I need to do exactly this!
Alright...

First off we did the first water change in about 4 weeks. Just did not pan out to do the weekly water changes.

Still have some lingering cyano with some diatoms, but staying the course with Siporax. Don't think nitrates have come down at this point, but they have not risen either.

So, we did complete the T5/LEDx Hybrid.

Pushing two ATI Blue + and they are 8" out from the center of the 360s

The four 360s are spaced out 5.75" from the center of each unit and it left that much space on both ends.

With that setup, we still have plenty of the Kessil shimmer with no hot spots or shading between all four units. lol... had to go with four since they are only 4.5" above the waterline.

Settings at full daylight hours:
Intensity at 60% since Tuesday evening / rasing to 70%
Color:
Kessil Blue - 20%
Violet - 50%
Red - 20%
Green - Off

The X controller is nice, and the USB C powers that controller from a fixture, while the controller maintains the settings, so Kessil dumped the separate power cable.

And posting some shots of the Hybrid with some corals. That way you guys and gals can get a fill for the original S-Series t5 canopy with very little light overspill and how the front and back gull wings work.

image000004 (1).jpg
image000002.jpg
image000005 (1).jpg
image000004 (2).jpg
image000006 (1).jpg
image000002 (3).jpg
image000003 (2).jpg
image000005.jpg
image000007 (2).jpg

Just tossing in the rest
image000001.jpg
image000003 (1).jpg
image000002 (1).jpg
image000003.jpg

image000000 (1).jpg
image000000.jpg
image000001 (1).jpg
image000009 (1).jpg
image000007 (1).jpg

So, the S-400 is really bright, good Kessil shimmer, super pop, great light spread, and seems like we can capture better pictures with the t5s.

lol
and, no more AP700 led pucks blinding my eyes... ;Facepalm

Super happy with this lighting upgrade outcome, and just don't think there's a way to improve.
Tank looks great Freddie loving the FTS!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to do exactly this!

Tank looks great Freddie loving the FTS!

Thank you, Tim

Wish you all the best while you start your residency.

Freddie

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O-Tay

Weekly "Lab Mode" update:

Kinda tired of seeing the cyano, and raised alk to 11.7, but not sure if the alk increase has had any effect.

Going to do what I did in Jan. 2017 that smoked that strain, and that is the last time cyano had a stronghold over this reef.

1) Going to dose chemiclean "powder" (with skimmer on, but taking off its collection cup) to the 110 display tank size, perform an 18% water change every 48 hours and repeat if necessary.

2) At the same time to the above ^^^, we'll be dosing 3% hydrogen peroxide to the reef's holding water size, which is 80 gallons of water.

You dose 1ml of 3% H2O2 to every ten gallons that you hold (after displacement) every 12 hours for up to 21 days, and if any dinos are in this mix, the H2O2 should help out.

Since we're still in "Lab Mode":
Going to try out some Brightwell "Purit" and see if it works as stated.

As @PanchoG stated:
The S-Series setups are sure nice and you just can't beat their aluminum stands. Its sure nice to have those doors gliding back together like they are meant and designed to perform.

Last note:
The carpet right in front of the Teco chiller got a tad damp. So, reached back to its 5/8" hose connections and both input and output were dripping saltwater.

So, robbed two rubber seals from the Phyton No-Spill sink connection, those seals did the trick.

Fish and corals are still doing well, and if I find a Harley shrimp and it feels right, then we'll bring one in to eat all the nuisance starfish.

Yours Truly... :D, GoVols

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O-Tay

Kinda tired of seeing the cyano, and raised alk to 11.7, but not sure if the alk increase has had any effect.

Going to do what I did in Jan. 2017 that smoked that strain, and that is the last time cyano had a stronghold over this reef.

1) Going to dose chemiclean "powder" (with skimmer on, but taking off its collection cup) to the 110 display tank size, perform an 18% water change every 48 hours and repeat if necessary.

2) At the same time to the above ^^^, we'll be dosing 3% hydrogen peroxide to the reef's holding water size, which is 80 gallons of water.

You dose 1ml of 3% H2O2 to every ten gallons that you hold (after displacement) every 12 hours for up to 21 days, and if any dinos are in this mix, the H2O2 should help out.

As @PanchoG stated:
The S-Series setups are sure nice and you just can't beat their aluminum stands. Its sure nice to have those doors gliding back together like they are meant and designed to perform.

Last note:
The carpet right in front of the Teco chiller got a tad damp. So, reached back to its 5/8" hose connections and both input and output were dripping saltwater.

So, robbed two rubber seals from the Phyton No-Spill sink connection, those seals did the trick.

Fish and corals are still doing well, and if I find a Harley shrimp and it feels right, then we'll bring one in to eat all the nuisance starfish.

Hope that gets it cleared up for you!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12

I'm staying put with the Tunze calcium reactor media (even though Reborn is back), the Tunze media has been panning out nice with the K and A trace elements, and I like Roger too.

I think those elements are the most likely the one thing that has kicked in coralline growth.

Are you going to fire up the Reborn media?

What was your reef's temperature to get cyano spreading? I used to roll at 82 for faster coral growth, but high temps can make a breakout spread faster as well.

FWIW:
I joined R2R Facebook site (through Angelia's profile) and was able to find @Hemmdog in there, it was nice to be able to chat with him.
Not sure how I missed this! I still haven't been able to get the Reborn. It was sold out almost immediately. I didn't even know Tunze made calcium reactor media. Can't even find it on a quick search. Guess I need to do some digging to find it.

My tank was getting up to 82, so it seems to make it the magic number. I normally keep it at 78. I've made some adjustments to a fan in the room and the temp is much more stable again. The cyano is gradually going away. What I really need are a few conchs or a sand sifting star. I can't get to most of my sand bed anymore.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O-Tay

As @PanchoG stated:

Last note:

Sounds like a plan Freddie, let us know if you beat the cyano.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a plan Freddie, let us know if you beat the cyano.

Thanks, Pancho
I wanted to see if it would reside on it's own, but not surprised that it did not. Back in Jan. 2017 my phos was at .03 ppm and nitrates held at 4ppm and still used both treatments at the same time to put her down.

When @twilliard was active he identified two cyano strains, CC would get one and hydrogen peroxide would get the other strain.

I would never want to pull anyone outside their confront level, so I really don't go around telling members to try both at the same time, and some reefers just don't feel comfortable using CC, Boyd says it is not an antibiotic, but I really think the active ingredient is.

Lets say that I had those brown / green plays that come in live rock that was cuing deep underwater. Them I'd be real cautious with CC and pulling off the skimmer cup.

Because the CC micro bubbles might agitate those kinda of wild plays, then they could hit self defense mode a nuke an entire reef. Once those guys go off inside a closed loop system don't really know how to get them to stop.

Today the elevated alk has helped some, and the cyano looks ready to sloth off, but we've already got plenty of CC just need to pickup the 3% H202.

@Flippers4pups
Don,
Sure hope your wife is on the mend, and if your Blues can Repeat, that would be just fine over here.

@Brew12
Had no clue that Reborn sold out that fast.

Roger has an eBay USA store and it sure is kinda hard to quick google the media.

It's has done well over here, but don't have a years worth of experience melting that media. Still running the Tunze / Sicce .5 and I have not seen any clogging (effluent) issues to this point.

Seems to melt about .2 lower than Reborn to get the same amount of alk.

I know you got that monster sized Skimz Stage-1, but for some perspective...

I roll with GEOs 612 with their SMC415 for my second stage and one bucket filled both stages, but if your happy with ARM you may want to hold your ground, never ran ARM in my stage 1, so really can't compare.

The Tunze is like 99% pure so it's kinda like Triton without having to hit 6.0 to start melting that marble based media, and Tunze is pretty darn clean.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any of you tried Rowalith W in the reactors.

I use it in my Deltec Twin Tech, and I only need to check alkalinity weekly as it keeps calcium and magnesium all in line as it dissolves. I only check these randomly as there always the same. Its mined from old ancient coral reefs I think from memory so releases all its ‘goodies’ as it breaks down.

I can highly recommend it anyway.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use it in my Deltec Twin Tech, and I only need to check alkalinity weekly as it keeps calcium and magnesium all in line as it dissolves. I only check these randomly as there always the same. Its mined from old ancient coral reefs I think from memory so releases all its ‘goodies’ as it breaks down.

I'm not sure that is available in the US.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get rowaphos (from BRS etc) you might be able to get rowalith because it’s from the same people as far as I’m aware, but it might need ordering.

I have the same situation, it’s not readily available at my main online shop but they order it in for me In the ‘chunky size’ when needed from DD below. I normally keep about 3 large bags of it and then reorder when needed

I believe these are the main distributors

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shaun,
At one point I tried looking for it, but as Steven said, it was not available in the States.
That Deltec Twin Tech is sure an awesome cal reactor. I looked up the specs after you bought yours. They're both high dollar but I feel it's a better unit than the Dastaco, especially on the maintenance end, thanks for the heads up on the Deltec media.

As long as this Tunze can keep a fairly high melting point, without clogging, then I'm pretty darn happy just to stay put with this media.

FWIW:
Two Februarys back, I put a lot of time messing with the backpressure to help keep the Co2's regulator real steady. Kinda went overboard, but cut down the .5 pump intake and spliced in another BRS / GEO big needle valve right after the feed pump, then I just barely fine-tuned the second needle valve after stage-2.

Well, I refilled up both of the 5-pound Co2 tanks right after those adjustments were made. It may be drained tomorrow, but the second Co2 tank is still rolling.
Crazy... ;Wacky, but it sure paid off in Co2 consumption!!!

Talked to Marine Depot about the DD-Pro Mag salt mix. It has been discontinued and that they were going to take it down from their website. I'm not sure if it's worldwide, but you sure cannot find that salt mix in the US.

We started the Chemiclean treatment this evening, which will aline with the Friday's water change, but I still have not picked up the hydrogen peroxide, works been busy, but we'll get some real soon.

Also got in some Sera Silicate Clear, but not trying anything new, until the cyano is cleared up.

Puled out RS carbon, GFO running at a dribble, and yanked filter sock.

Hope all you guys are healthy, doing well and we'll xx fingers on this cyano.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had little clue of how carx systems worked till i started following your build freddie. Thanks for always delving into the details in the geek lab and sharing with us as u go through the process of fine tuning. Pretty much my entire understanding of the equipment, functions, and adjustments are from ur build.

Cheers freddie, and good luck exhausting the cyano, again.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had little clue of how carx systems worked till i started following your build freddie. Thanks for always delving into the details in the geek lab and sharing with us as u go through the process of fine tuning. Pretty much my entire understanding of the equipment, functions, and adjustments are from ur build.

Seconded, I have learnt loads. :)

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seconded, I have learnt loads. :)

Lol,
I learn from all your builds as well. You guys are some good friends.

Rich,
You have been one of the fastest learners that I've ever watched take to this hobby, and no telling how many great things that Simon knows, during this crazy journey.

To be honest, I learned a lot from studying Hybrid's build and wish Goerge's build was still flying, but things change and we move on.

--------------------------------------------------------

Cyano Update:
The CC / H2O2 treatment is just shredding away the pest bacteria and the cyano is slothing off like nobodies business. So, we've picked the right treatment and it may take four rounds of CC.

Corals and fish are healthy with no signs of stress.

Just don't know if the cyano will come back or not.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back