Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news Freddie ! !

Thanks, Keith

If you don't mind:

Did Google mess up your Pixel-2 (last fall) while taking reef shots?

I know we have the slide bar, but it seemed better when we could just go into cloudy mode and sunny modes.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to go Freddie.

Thanks, Pancho
It's smoking the cyano, but with nitrates being high, it may come back.

At this time, I can see some diatoms, which makes me wonder, did, or does Siporax bio-media release silicates into the water column like a new sand bed.

And since adding that media, the Rowaphos sure exhaust real fast, which GFO is supposed to bind silicates too, but at this rate, the price of Rowa would just be a deal-breaker.

So when we get done with the cyano, we'll try the Sera Silicate Clear
1) Does it work with silicate removal
2) Will the diatoms burn off
3) What is the cost factor to run that media

At some point, we will test Brightwell's "Purit" media as well.

lol
The scape looks like crap, and I just don't feel like getting back in there at this point, so testing these different media's help me feel like I'm doing something productive, without hitting the scape.

On another note:
The Python rubber O-ring seals have worked in stopping the chiller's leaks.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well rowaphos definitely removes silicates Freddie, I used it ’heavy’ in the new system for that specific reason to avoid any ugly stages

I buy it in the 5kg buckets and it’s much cheaper that way if your using it all the time, or a lot of it like I do.

Also see this Freddie and there is some other stuff online about it as well. Randy makes a few valid points

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well rowaphos definitely removes silicates Freddie, I used it ’heavy’ in the new system for that specific reason to avoid any ugly stages

I buy it in the 5kg buckets and it’s much cheaper that way if your using it all the time, or a lot of it like I do.

Also see this Freddie and there is some other stuff online about it as well. Randy makes a few valid points

Shaun,
Thanks for sharing the link.

lol
It seems to be an unscientifically proven topic of the type of silicates that Siporax releases, fuel diatoms per what I've read from Tony at DD Solutions.

All my filters in my RO/DI are really old and have only changed out it's RO membrane one time.

So, I dropped in a new sediment, carbon block, and a new Spetrapure RO membrane to rule those out, and put in the silicate buster di resin, but it will take time to see if that makes a difference.

Kinda got spoiled because the back glass never had to be wiped down in about 1.5 years, but firing up the t5's again, could have made a change in that aspect.

Lol
We'll burn off this cyano, hope that it stays gone, and go from there.

Shaun,
Thanks for your input and may need some more of your incite down the line.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll burn off this cyano, hope that it stays gone, and go from there.
giphy.gif

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did Google mess up your Pixel-2 (last fall) while taking reef shots?

I know we have the slide bar, but it seemed better when we could just go into cloudy mode and sunny modes.
Yes they did and I dislike the new camera. I have the pixel 4 and there is no slide bar until after you've already taken the pic.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the pixel 4 and there is no slide bar until after you've already taken the pic.

lol

Keith,
That's messed up.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright,
The cyano has been smoked, pretty much @RichtheReefer21 's gif put put it in perspective. The mess just slothed off.

At no surprise, dinos have sat in pretty good at this point.

So water changes had come to a complete halt and trying to use what I have on hand.

We'll still dosing 3% hydrogen peroxide twice a day, dosing 25ml each of both parts of A and B Red Sea - Reef Energy and slamming in a ton of MicroBacter-7

Glad that we held off on bringing in more Acropora.

Just a side note / Novel... ;Bookworm
My old hand me down laptop bit the dust several weeks back.

Bought a refurb Dell 5490 with 16 gigs of ram, but it crashed within the first 12 hours of use. Bummer because I really liked that 14" laptop and its backlit keyboard was top notch. Ather going through Amazon's tech support, they recommended to send it back and take the refund.

So after talking to both of I'll daughters weighting both Pro and Cons I broke down and bought the 2020 Apple Macbook Air, just its base package and got $50.00 off during the Best Buy sale. I wanted the 12.9n Ipad Pro with the new Magic Keyboard, but that setup would have been about $400 more than the 2020 MacBook Air.

So far this 2020 Air has been great, it's retina screen is very nice and it's 2020 keyboard would be hard to beat. Holy-Marie has had her MacBook Air since 2011 and that laptop has never skipped a beat.

The Royal Grammar has come up MIA, and wonder if that fish went carpet surfing.

Clueless on where the Ps and Ns stand, just want to beat out the dinos with good bacteria strains at this time.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Freddy

Just over checking what is happening in your neighborhood. :D ;Stig

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, guys

Let's do an update and want to call @Brew12 in on this one... ;Writing

Sold the AP700 on the MTRC forum.

Meanwhile still in a struggle with dinos, after talking to the Aquatic Critter may try Seachem Stability with carbon, because that product wiped out their last dino strain.

This is the crazy part:
We did the H202 with Chemiclean, but the dinos were lying underneath the cyano.

We've been staring at aiptasia for way over a year, but it has been totally wiped out???

My guess is that dinos smoothed all the aiptasia??????????

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow Freddie first time ever reading of a possible positive side effect of Dino’s. You will get there there algae battles are fought in waves as nutrients and conditions change to favor one type over another. I’m back to gha again finish gone for third time. It’s sad when you start liking the look of gha ;)
You will nail it down slow and steady enjoy small victories.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, guys

Meanwhile still in a struggle with dinos, after talking to the Aquatic Critter may try Seachem Stability with carbon, because that product wiped out their last dino strain.

This is the crazy part:

We've been staring at aiptasia for way over a year, but it has been totally wiped out???

If that is true, Freddie, you can start selling dinos on the market place on R2R.

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You almost sound where I was at. Let me really give you some things to think about

MeMeMeMe :D

Tank reaches the 3 to 5 year mark. Tank was doing really well, felt like I was king of the world. Then the tank goes down hill slowly, all corals die off, cycano, and algae everywhere. Frustration sets in with trying to figure out what the problem is. I figure out the possible problem after a year and a half, by accident. (this is a setup Freddie:rolleyes:;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious).

By the way, good morning;Joyful

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, guys

This is the crazy part:

I've never heard of dinos killing aiptasia, but I can't say it isn't possible.

What you are seeing is the main reason I never recommend Chemiclean. It can have some impressive short term results but I feel it does more harm than good in the long run. We need to try to encourage microbial/algae growth to outcompete the cyano and dinos. Chemiclean is an antibiotic that eliminates much of the good and bad. I don't know of anyone who has used Chemiclean once (including myself) and hasn't had more problems within 3 or 4 months.

Not sure what Stability would do to help. If there are reefers in your area who's tanks don't have pests you are trying to avoid, see if you can get a piece of live rock from them. Even if you have to give them a piece of rock to stick in their sump for a month. Heck, even some tank water could help. I'm also a big fan of adding phytoplankton, copepods (if you don't already have a healthy population), amphipods and rotifers. Blue legged hermit crabs are very safe imo and hermits eat cyano.

Really sorry you are having these problems!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You almost sound where I was at. Let me really give you some things to think about

MeMeMeMe :D

Tank reaches the 3 to 5 year mark. Tank was doing really well, felt like I was king of the world. Then the tank goes down hill slowly, all corals die off, cycano, and algae everywhere. Frustration sets in with trying to figure out what the problem is. I figure out the possible problem after a year and a half, by accident. (this is a setup Freddie:rolleyes:;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious).

By the way, good morning;Joyful

Yeah, Jeffery
I had a good roll, and should have never stopped water changes last fall.
Angelia I got busy doing a downstairs remodel and tossed the weekly water changes.

lol,
I’ll take just about anything over Dino’s, but where going to pull through one way or another.

Has your woodworking business been good?
I wish all the members could see how talented you are in woodworking.

If you would like to post a link in here, then please feel free.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 110 76.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back