OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting a regal angel!! They are such gorgeous fish! I’m sure he/she will do great in your tank. Be sure to post lots of pics when you get her in!
elisa,
Thank You!!!

We'll see how much babying it needs to get it acclimated and feeling at home. Hopefully it's is as healthy and has the same personality that Brian says it does. I'd hate to lose the little guy so keeping the fingers crossed ;Nailbiting that she does just fine.

On another note:
Got the Apex controller back from Neptune Systems yesterday, but probably won't fool with it until the Regal is acclimated.

Freddie

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael

Welp,
I swapped put the main pump last night and the down flow pipe and cup are doing the samething :(
Could be one of the two recirc. pumps, but I'm leaning to the big screw in valve.

Going to unscrew the down pipe / plug the valve hole at the bottom of the valves output / poor vinegar in there to the top of the cup, and see if some kind of precipt. has built up in there.

Started acting up when I was ho2o dosing and maybe something has crystallized :confused:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MrMichael

Welp,
I swapped put the main pump last night and the down flow pipe and cup are doing the samething :(
Could be one of the two recirc. pumps, but I'm leaning to the big screw in valve.

Going to unscrew the down pipe / plug the valve hole at the bottom of the valves output / poor vinegar in there to the top of the cup, and see if some kind of precipt. has built up in there.

Started acting up when I was ho2o dosing and maybe something has crystallized :confused:

What’s it doing Freddie?

Not sure if I missed something on previous posts...

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s it doing Freddie?

Not sure if I missed something on previous posts...
Shaun,
I set the down flow cup to the height that I want.

The water in the cup keeps (constantly) bouncing up and down about an 1/8" of an inch and slowly works its way up the cup.

By the end of the day, the water is having to use the emergency overflow and when I reset the cup, the sump height goes way up.

Turned off the ATO and just hand topping off for right now.

Right now, I've got it open to where it's sucking air. Was thinking maybe the one of the three pumps was fluctuating in flow, but it sure was not the main pump. Now, I'm thinking the down flow valve has some kind of hard build up inside it.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume when you say cup, you mean the plastic cup at the top of the downpipe.

My S 650, which is basically like your S 400, always seems to want to run so that water is just going down the emergency down pipe as well as the main pipe. If I set the level to the correct level,as per the instructions, so around the last plastic marker through the viewing window, in a day, a week or at some point it will start ‘gurgling’ as the level drops. The sump volume has increased and I then close the valve up slightly to slow flow down the downpipe, the sump level drops and then the ATO kicks in.

I’ve often wondered if it’s something to do with thermal expansion of the water as temperature fluctuates but whenever I aim for the correct level, which I think it probably were your trying to set yours to, this always happens. So I don’t do it anymore I just leave it slightly higher.

I generally just run my tank how it seems to want to run, so with water just going down the emergency downpipe otherwise it can be alarming when it starts it’s noises! It sounds like something is leaking with the gurgling, air etc lol!! I jumped out of my skin the first time I heard it!

It could be a build up of deposits, but presumably if it was that you could just open up the valve a little more to increase the flow down the pipe?

I try and turn the valve both ways every few weeks (when I remember) to try and keep the valve in working order. It’s one of the jobs I really don’t want to end up taking to pieces if I can avoid it, ever.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume when you say cup, you mean the plastic cup at the top of the downpipe.

My S 650, which is basically like your S 400, always seems to want to run so that water is just going down the emergency down pipe as well as the main pipe. If I set the level to the correct level,as per the instructions, so around the last plastic marker through the viewing window, in a day, a week or at some point it will start ‘gurgling’ as the level drops. The sump volume has increased and I then close the valve up slightly to slow flow down the downpipe, the sump level drops and then the ATO kicks in.

I’ve often wondered if it’s something to do with thermal expansion of the water as temperature fluctuates but whenever I aim for the correct level, which I think it probably were your trying to set yours to, this always happens. So I don’t do it anymore I just leave it slightly higher.

I generally just run my tank how it seems to want to run, so with water just going down the emergency downpipe otherwise it can be alarming when it starts it’s noises! It sounds like something is leaking with the gurgling, air etc lol!! I jumped out of my skin the first time I heard it!

It could be a build up of deposits, but presumably if it was that you could just open up the valve a little more to increase the flow down the pipe?

I try and turn the valve both ways every few weeks (when I remember) to try and keep the valve in working order. It’s one of the jobs I really don’t want to end up taking to pieces if I can avoid it, ever.
Well,
My S-Series cup has always held the water at the lower line, but can creep up slowly (over days, but not bouncing up and down) due to dirty filter sock.

This thing is going way over board and something has changed.

Last night I cleaned out the valve with a Tunze skimmer brush / Just shoved it in the down hole from up top / had a new filter sock and when I checked the sock, it had hard deposits trapped in it.

Going to soak the entire valve with vinegar.

I bought the S-400 in 2013 and maybe the valve is just worn out???

Right now, I'm going to leave it alone (sucking air), but turn back on the ATO and see if the sump line stays stable.

Shaun,
Thanks for your help and we'll get her tuned back around :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the down flow:

Yesterday evening, Turned off and on all pumps and the water level went back to where it was holding and taking in a small amount of air.
So, I started back the S-400's auto top off system last night and this morning the sump water line is still at the same height.

Getting a tad amount of micro bubbles in the display, but really no big deal :)

Will not fool around with the down pipe valve anymore until the Regal Angel has shipped in, settled and fully acclimated.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal Angel update:

Just talked to Brain at Reefwise in Chicago. Both of our cities have had snowfall this week, with frigged temps.

He's talked to UPS and they are still having delays. So we will touch base again on Monday, to make sure that UPS is all clear.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New (broken) Apex controller update...

Well,
Since we did not get in the Regal today and I already did the weekly water change last night. Decided to just bite the bullet ;Inpain and reinstall the repaired Apex.

To make a long story ;Bookworm short... We started at 6pm Central time and just got done at Mid-Night ;Wacky

Neptune Systems did take the time to update it to the latest firmware and (lol) I'll take it :)

So, We've re-calibrated the ph probe and reset Fusion to it's old on and off settings.
Jacked up the bubble count to make sure the Apex is working and will smooth it back out later on.

So far, so good ;Singing ;Singing ;Singing

But... Dang, I'm toast ;Dead

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal Angel update:

Just talked to Brain at Reefwise in Chicago. Both of our cities have had snowfall this week, with frigged temps.

He's talked to UPS and they are still having delays. So we will touch base again on Monday, to make sure that UPS is all clear.

Any updates on the regal angel? [emoji5]

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on the regal angel? [emoji5]
Guys,
It looks like Brian is shipping her out tonight for a tomorrow delivery.

He just sent me an email and said she's doing great :)

Thanks for checking in and tagging along. I'm pumped, but a tad nervous ;Nailbiting

Over here: I've become sick ;Nurse and hope it's not the flu.

Freddie

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@elisa h @MrMichael @SPR1968

Brain at Reefwise just emailed the UPS tracking # for the baby Regal.

Breaking out the drip acclimation equipment for this species.

Thanks for tagging along :)

We'll just have to take a deep breath... ;Muted and see ;Wideyed how she does.

Will update as it plays out ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the first two UPS screen shots.

Screenshot (31).png

Screenshot (29).png

When I click on the tracking # is says Thursday

Screenshot (30).png

:eek: :eek: :eek:

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a little scary, I hope UPS doesn't mess that up and deliver on Thursday
Fudsey,
Brain just called and said UPS does that with him all the time.

He said: That he just dropped her off at UPS, and it will be updated for a tomorrow delivery :)

Got a little spooked :eek: , but Brain did take the time, to make the phone call and said: "All is good" ;Singing ;Singing ;Singing

Really nice guy, and hope "we've" found a vendor, that lives up to his "quarantine" on his website.

Freddie

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and just to make you a little more nervous, I have had a ground package, that was supposed to be delivered on a Tuesday by UPS' website, go "Out for delivery" and then not be delivered because the delivery date was supposed to be Wednesday (by original ship date). But I have also had it go the other way too....

These are "Ground" deliveries and not Overnight so I would believe that would matter.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back