OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that vertex model (without the pump or tds meter I added my own smart buddie and two 3 sensor tds meters) be careful the pressure gauge will leak if not careful other then that great rodi I get 25 gallons in 2.5 hours I added a second di and carbon block with a second membrane made sure I get the best water for my fish I think u will be happy
(lol)
That's smoke'n some RO/DI.

Thanks for the tips and I'll keep an eye on the pressure gauge too.

Have you thought about the 170?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this "water change" voodoo of which you speak?! :p
I’ve been laughing at this all morning, very amusing Simon! Lol

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Vertex really pretty. Simon probably doesn't even know what that contraption is for :)

That is so sad about the fathead. The one in my DT seems fine, the one in my QT tank started to fade because he wasn't getting enough food. But he's hanging in.

I hope they hang in there. There is a big range between dead and growing like rabbits.

Not as dumb as I look, I always jug my fresh water out of the stream upstream of any animal carcasses I spot! :p

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hybridazn

Thanks for talking me into the 100 g per day model. No need for the 200 g per day :)

@Flippers4pups
Thanks for taking the time to make your RO/DI video.

I ran the RO/DI without the DI resin in. It hung for along time at 50 on the TDS meter.
It finally bottomed out at 2

If I fired with the DI resin in, all that mess would have wasted the DI.

Freddie
What video? hey I have had my eye on that sense it came out, .....Curious, does it have an input for a level switch?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He means that reefer you grabbed from me :)
O that is right I forget all these names of tanks and stuff
I’m a set it up at my girls work she’s a fif grade school teacher I think the kids would like a anemone and clownfish tank.

If that doesn’t work out or is not allowed I’m a set up a second tank near my other tank somehow connect it and use it as a frag tank

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since this is a Red Sea tank thread, I stopped in my LFS last night and Grabbed some Tonga branch and Fuji dry rock,
He also Has a Red Sea XL 525 display thats over 2 years old and dusty for $1900 and a big sale coming up, will see:rolleyes:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vertex is a great system. I have the same one and love it. I added an extra prefilter and also the water saver kit from BRS on mine and it runs even better!

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brother, finally got caught up on your thread. Sad news about the nems man :(. There are a whole bunch of different chewable flea treatments these days you can get from the vet.

I have a few questions about Purigen as I've given these biopellets about a year and I keep ending up with bacterial blooms in the main display no matter what I do.

1. I know you tumble, have you found it works better when you tumble as opposed to stuffing it in a regular reactor.

2. Do you renew or just replace?

3. Have you tried running carbon/GFO canister outlet as an inlet to your purigen or do you find it more effective to run off of it's own line?

Thanks man.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brother, finally got caught up on your thread. Sad news about the nems man :(. There are a whole bunch of different chewable flea treatments these days you can get from the vet.

I have a few questions about Purigen as I've given these biopellets about a year and I keep ending up with bacterial blooms in the main display no matter what I do.

1. I know you tumble, have you found it works better when you tumble as opposed to stuffing it in a regular reactor.

2. Do you renew or just replace?

3. Have you tried running carbon/GFO canister outlet as an inlet to your purigen or do you find it more effective to run off of it's own line?

Thanks man.
Amoo,
It's been too long and thanks for stopping by.

The nems. are a bummer, but you live and learn.

Can you go back to page 6 and read thru post #117 / first ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a pretty good while my nitrates have been testing right at 7ppm.

The only time that I run carbon would be for removing a treatment. It's just not a strong point with Purigen and I never run the two together.
It would be too aggressive to run both, but I like to play it safe.

I used to re-charge, but that was a long time ago with another reef. You can do it, but it will not re-charge back to 100%. So, it's just not worth the hassle.

If you jump back to page 78 and read post #1556
That's where things stand right now. It keeps all beads inside the reactor.

@Reefer Deez
Has got it down too.

He settled in on this RO model and it's a winner.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/br-110-reef-octopus-biopellet-reactor.html

I also run tumble GFO and preform an 18% weekly water change.

If Deez would like to chime in, it's fine with me.

I hope you can come to the same ending, but what works for one, may not work for the other.

Freddie

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response man. I'm so busy these days I have time to do RS stuff and nem/clown forum stuff and not much else.

I had forgotten about the post on page 6 so thanks for reminding me about it. I had seen the mod on page 78. I had remembered you had the RO last week when I was ordering one and ordered the RO-BR70, even though I hadn't checked your thread yet. I'll definitely be ordering some mesh for mine as well.

I'm still unsure about giving up carbon completely with Nems and the potential for chem warfare.

I've always had the same feeling with recharging this stuff, it has always seemed too risky even though I know people do it successfully.

____

If I recall you have had a CA reactor for a while now, so between the Reactor, Purigen and GFO, why are you running the water change at that amount still?

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come to think of it I have a ton of spare filter floss for the times when I need to run a QT. I'm betting I could accomplish something similar with that since all of my overflow socks are the felt style and not the mesh style...hmmm

Reefer Deez

Reef junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amoo,
It's been too long and thanks for stopping by.

The nems. are a bummer, but you live and learn.

Can you go back to page 6 and read thru post #117 / first ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For a pretty good while my nitrates have been testing right at 7ppm.

The only time that I run carbon would be for removing a treatment. It's just not a strong point with Purigen and I never run the two together.
It would be too aggressive to run both, but I like to play it safe.

I used to re-charge, but that was a long time ago with another reef. You can do it, but it will not re-charge back to 100%. So, it's just not worth the hassle.

If you jump back to page 78 and read post #1556
That's where things stand right now. It keeps all beads inside the reactor.

@Reefer Deez
Has got it down too.

He settled in on this RO model and it's a winner.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/br-110-reef-octopus-biopellet-reactor.html

I also run tumble GFO and preform an 18% weekly water change.

If Deez would like to chime in, it's fine with me.

I hope you can come to the same ending, but what works for one, may not work for the other.

Freddie
Yes thanks to Freddie I have successfully switched off of carbon dosing and on to the purigen in a reactor. The RO reactor with the mesh gives you the capability to have much higher flow through it and makes me more comfortable that the entire tank volume is being turned around so it can take control of the nutrients.
The GFO to me was risky so it took it really slow cause I was afraid to lose the coral I had left. So I have a little bit of algae I'm dealing with but to say goodbye to carbon dosing was worth it. Dosing something that I don't truly understand doesn't make sense to. I understood how to dose NOPOX but didn't understand what it was doing to my tank and I know alot of people that have had success with it, but I have also seen the horror stories that it destroys euphyllias among other corals. Not to mention the cyano ;)
I just recently shut off my carbon reactor and the corals look better then ever and I can't say it's cause I shut that down because I've finally got the amount of purigen and GFO to a level where I feel comfortable and the reef looks happy!
For all of this I have @GoVols to thank and I am forever greatful for meeting him here to learn how to get rid of carbon dosing! Thanks again freedie!

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefer Deez
Your too kind and that's what R2R is all about. (Sharing) and happy :) that it worked out!!
@HolisticBear and myself talk about many things all the time, and it's fun to brainstorm.

@Amoo
An calcium reactor is another way to 3 part dose.
It handles your alk / cal and supplies a lot of trace elements too.
I run ZEOmag in the reactor too, to hold up the magnesium.

(lol)
We'll talk some Gators / Vols smack, down the line... :D

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols I'm well aware, which is why I was wondering why you're still doing such large and frequent water changes. Since you have the big 3 and nutrients covered seemed overkill for just trace elements so I was wondering if there was a seperate reason you've come across.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GoVols I'm well aware, which is why I was wondering why you're still doing such large and frequent water changes. Since you have the big 3 and nutrients covered seemed overkill for just trace elements so I was wondering if there was a seperate reason you've come across.
(lol)
I love weekly water changes... :D

And... If it ain't broke, I'm not fixing... :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2018-8-5_16-47-38.jpeg

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siggy,
You nailed it!!
Congrats on your Excellence award!!

FWIW:
After we rolled the DD salt and nailed .35 while mixing, this time the alk came in at 9.4 dkh

@HolisticBear
I hope we've got a winner on the Pepsi challenge... :D

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back