Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(lol)
I love weekly water changes... :D

And... If it ain't broke, I'm not fixing... :)

Sounds like typical Tennessee logic, I'm not surprised :p

Side Bar:

(You going to any games this year? The wife and I are going to the LSU game in the Swamp this year.)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And... If it ain't broke, I'm not fixing... :)

Last time I checked, WD40 isn't reef safe and duct tape doesn't work well in seawater. That eliminates 95% of all options to fix something in Tennessee. ;);Happy

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I checked, WD40 isn't reef safe and duct tape doesn't work well in seawater. That eliminates 95% of all options to fix something in Tennessee. ;);Happy

Catching up on this thread this morning while watching one of my favorite videos. Seems appropriate [emoji57]

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Side Bar:

(You going to any games this year? The wife and I are going to the LSU game in the Swamp this year.)
Nope, not going to Neyland this year.

Catching up on this thread this morning while watching one of my favorite videos. Seems appropriate [emoji57]

giphy.gif

:D

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now we are all the way back to why bother water changing!?
In my case, just lazy!
My little splash of this and a little splash of that to keep it a bit salty days are near an end, you first heard it here, I am going to set a doser up soon, might even set the ato up! ;)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, we're testing (timing) this thing out:
Shots from last night.

img_20180801_173119-jpg.805568

Morning Freddy, I grabbed the same system and am setting it up today you mentioned flushing the membrane, any tips you can share?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning Freddy, I grabbed the same system and am setting it up today you mentioned flushing the membrane, any tips you can share?
Congrats, siggy
You will love the unit ;Singing ;Singing ;Singing

Yeah,
When you start your new unit (on run mode / making RO/DI water), don't start off with DI resin in the last chamber.
Just let the unit run without the DI resin, and let "that" good water go down the drain like the waste water does.

The TDS meter hung at 50 for along time, then the TDS started to drop.
When the TDS meter bottomed out at 2, Then I unscrewed the DI chamber and put the DI resin for the long haul.

It would have read 0, if I started with the DI resin in, but it would have used up a lot of the DI's lifespan.

So, Going forward, I'll pull out the DI resin every time that I put in a new RO membrane too.

Hope that helps.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, Going forward, I'll pull out the DI resin every time that I put in a new RO membrane too.
Yes sir, Makes perfect cent's, I just topped off the resin cartridge it was shy 10%. Thanks...BTW that hillbilly is too much;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir, Makes perfect cent's, I just topped off the resin cartridge it was shy 10%. Thanks...BTW that hillbilly is too much;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
Oh Yeah,
Back flushing the unit:

It should preform an auto back flush every 2.5 hours.

So, I put on an cutoff valve after the DI's output.

When I'm done making RO/DI, I leave the unit running and turn that valve to the off position.

When the unit feels the back pressure from the cutoff valve, the unit will do an auto back flush.

Then, I turn off the unit.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welp I got the Purigen up and running the other day, sadly though I had to put it in the BRS Reactor (GAC style) instead of the BR-70 that I ordered. I am a bit frustrated, but it's my own fault for not doing better research. I have my return plumbing, plumbed with 1/2" push style fittings and none of the hose barbs that came with the RO fit tubing that small. Basically I need to order some fittings to convert the RO over from barbs to push connect and of the appropriate size. Not a biggie, just a hiccup.

I'm assuming you tumble them to limit the slime coat to keep from blocking the pores? Outside of that I'm not sure what downside there would be to just running them in a regular reactor?

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welp I got the Purigen up and running the other day, sadly though I had to put it in the BRS Reactor (GAC style) instead of the BR-70 that I ordered. I am a bit frustrated, but it's my own fault for not doing better research. I have my return plumbing, plumbed with 1/2" push style fittings and none of the hose barbs that came with the RO fit tubing that small. Basically I need to order some fittings to convert the RO over from barbs to push connect and of the appropriate size. Not a biggie, just a hiccup.

I'm assuming you tumble them to limit the slime coat to keep from blocking the pores? Outside of that I'm not sure what downside there would be to just running them in a regular reactor?
Well,
I ran Purigen in the past on an Red Sea 130.
If you run Purigen in the 100ml dose or the bag (in a sump) the water will start to bypass and flow around the Purigen.

I did not bring in Purigen to this setup until the summer of 2016.
I bought it in 2013 and it came with sponge mechanical filters.
They we're terrible so I just ran the skimmer with no mechanical or chemical filtration.

So, When I looked into bringing Purigen online for this setup.
I wanted to find a way to stop the water bypass, but not strip out all the nutrients.
Which led me to suspend the Purigen in it's own reactor.

,If you have it packed in a reactor and all is good, then you might want to stay. doing what you doing.

Sidebar:
Them Dawgs are going to be hard to catch for a few years. Gotta give Kirby kudos.

At least we finally thru Jimmy Haslam to the back of the bus, for now.
He hi-jacked the Vols (from the top to the bottom) over ten years ago and he owns the Cleveland Browns too.

OP
OP
GoVols

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does one measure of Purigen last in your tank and do you revive it with bleach?
Or do you renew it when it turns dark?
Well,
Now, I let it get an darker brown in color, before I re-charge.

This dose has been inside the reactor since we used Vibrant to knock out the bubble algae.
Pretty long time.

It's on it's last leg, and I re-charge with new Purigen.
I used to bleach it and used SeaChem Prime, but it's not worth the trouble.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
I ran Purigen in the past on an Red Sea 130.
If you run Purigen in the 100ml dose or the bag (in a sump) the water will start to bypass and flow around the Purigen.

I did not bring in Purigen to this setup until the summer of 2016.
I bought it in 2013 and it came with sponge mechanical filters.
They we're terrible so I just ran the skimmer with no mechanical or chemical filtration.

So, When I looked into bringing Purigen online for this setup.
I wanted to find a way to stop the water bypass, but not strip out all the nutrients.
Which led me to suspend the Purigen in it's own reactor.

,If you have it packed in a reactor and all is good, then you might want to stay. doing what you doing.

That makes sense. I added some foam to the top and bottom of the brs reactor like I was going to use in the RO to keep the pellets in and left a bunch of space between the two, but they all just mashed themselves against the top. I ran the bio-pellets this way and they ended up tumbling on their own, the purigen not so much, but they are significantly smaller and obviously much more buoyant. With the current flow rate through the reactor I would say I'm getting tank volume turned over through the purigen at worst once every two hours, but likely faster than that.

----

Sidebar:
Them Dawgs are going to be hard to catch for a few years. Gotta give Kirby kudos.

At least we finally thru Jimmy Haslam to the back of the bus, for now.
He hi-jacked the Vols (from the top to the bottom) over ten years ago and he owns the Cleveland Browns too.

The one saving grace in the UGA game we're going to have is for whatever reason neither team ever plays to their record if one of the two teams is bad. The history under Kirby is much shorter then under Richt, but so is the history under Dan.

In regards to UT, the best move they have made since they fired Fullmer was to bring him back into the fold. He and probably Peyton are the only two guys who have the clout to tell Haslam to back off, though I think Fullmer is much more likely too. I'm hoping Fuller pulls a Berry Alvarez and gets you guys back on track, regardless of how this coach works out. I was against the way they removed Fullmer from day 1 and felt you guys kinda deserved what you got. Now that he's back, I would like to see the program succeed under him again.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back